+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golemblood prepull

Golemblood prepull

Is there significant evidence for or against the use of golemblood potions before the pull in threat intensive fights for a tank?

You should always be pre-potting. Tanks should be able to hold threat, especially with a Hunter MD'ing the tank.

[ IRON - US-Kil'Jaeden PvP ] // 9/13 25-Hard Mode
    Formerly of Main Tank Down / Why Tempt Fate on US-Maelstrom

If you want help with threat a rage potion will help you more than golemblood. That said if you Shout/charge/shield block/inner rage/Heroic Throw and Shield slam when you get there and mash your buttons you should have no threat issues. Even with a bloodlust pull (like omnitron or twin dragons) I still manage to stay ahead of the melee DPS ... even with a SS miss. The only fight I find dicey is Cho'gal because I not only have to pull and all that but then I have to almost immediately shockwave down the MC's and end up saving a GCD for that.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Yes, mighty rage potion is good. But has anyone done math to compare overall threat increase vs say golemblood?

ps HT/charge is not always an option. And not what I am asking anyway.

Yeah its an interesting question because golemblood is high enough strength that it may win out over the 25 seconds. That said no doubt rage wins for the first 5-10 ... but that's speculation so I could be wrong. In any case the only fight's I've found pre-potting truly necessary are things like HM-Halfus where you pre-pot an armor pot before the pull and drink a second as soon as the first is down for a good 45 seconds of damage reduction when it matters most. In those fights your Vengeance stacks so fast threat is a non-issue.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people

The agility potion is good for halfus heroic, as there all you want is for the mortal strike to stack less frequently, and 4% dodge really helps there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    The agility potion is good for halfus heroic, as there all you want is for the mortal strike to stack less frequently, and 4% dodge really helps there.
    Fantastic point.

Ok, so I am using the following stipulations:

1) Protection Warrior
    2) Cookie cutter boss 8/2/31 spec
    3) 359 ilvl
    4) War Totems spreadsheet
    5) First 25 seconds
    6) 10% vengeance
    7) No bloodlust, no recklessness
    8) SS, Revenge, Dev, HT, CB, Shockwave, Rend, TC in rotation
    9) Raid buffed

We get base line TPS of 23739.
    We get base line DPS of 6448.

a) Mighty rage (60 rage)

I assume that abilities are on GCDs and extra rage is used for HS dumping.
    We can use 60 rage to cast two HS, but will lose 2 white swings worth 12.4 rage each.
    Hence we only gain 60 - 12.4x2 = 35.2 rage or 1.173 HS.
    HS average threat is 17910, average dmg 5970.
    1.173 HS = 21000 threat and 7000 dmg.

b) Golemblood (1200 str)

I assume that rotation remains unchanged from the base line.
    TPS now is 41855.
    DPS now is 11423.

Hence we gain 25 x (41855 - 23739) = 452900 threat and 25 x (11423 - 6448) = 124375 dmg.

That said I have not used rage potions myself recently, but the golemblood potion did seem very good in WoW (although not quite as good as the numbers above).
    Last edited by kopcap; 03-01-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    Same as H Chim.

Quote Originally Posted by kopcap View Post
    We can use 60 rage to cast two HS, but will lose 2 white swings worth 12.4 rage each.
    We're playing cataclysm, friend. HS eating white swings are long gone

My bad, then it should be 36k threat and 12k dmg respectively against 450k threat and 120k dmg.

Thanks for the numbers. I had expected golemblood to be ahead but not by that much. I've been using the rage pot on pulls involving bloodlust as a "just in case I get an avoidance string" and need some rage ... but truth is that's statistically insignificant and the golemblood will pull ahead within 5-8 seconds anyhow. I also like the Tol'vir idea for Halfus.

+ Reply to Thread