Thread: Am I taking unreasonable damage on Nezir?

Am I taking unreasonable damage on Nezir?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...m/damageTaken/
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nisis/advanced
    (and if the armory link show my Fury gear, which is what I'm usually logged out in, I'll to remember not to. Wow-heroes used to let you link directly to a toon... my gear in there for my prot is accurate)

Basically my healer and I were talking during our wipes on Conclave yesterday about the damage intake. The DK was taking a lot less (about 50%) of what I was taking on Anshal even though he had adds. I was looking at what I was doing and while SB wasn't always on CD, it was close, and I tried to time using the mirror of broken images when he did his conical AoE (since it followed me when I moved while he was casting it) and of course move off the ice patches.

I'm at a loss. I basically use all my CDs on him (usually healer and I end up on opposite sides of the frost patch) but can't seems to figure out what to do in order to reduce the damage, or since it's signficantly magic, is it just eat it?

Is there something I'm missing that I should be doing to reduce incoming damage?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

You didn't switch with another tank? I thought that the debuff from Nezir would stack so you'll be taking more and more damage.

Edit:
    I further examined the log and I think I misunderstood the reason behind the wipe. It seems that the wipe happened after the tank switch right? I think it's reasonable for Nezir tank to take more damage than Anshal tank. You can do a test by tanking Anshal first and see how it goes.

BTW Anshal hits really hard after he finishes the channeling because he gains a buff for ~15 secs. I think that's why you died. I always pop my shield wall to survive those hits.
    Last edited by Tschus; 02-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.

There is a stacking debuff on Nezir that means you will gradually take more and more damage. You should be switching with your offtank.

If you put your deathknight on Nezir, it is possible for him to use Anti-Magic Shield to remove stacks at a critical moment, which makes tank switching unnecessary. That is obviously the superior solution if your DK can figure out the timing. You can then just tank Anshal and his adds.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

From the log, it looks like the OP is dying before the jump, or during the jump; 7 stacks of Windchill is pretty average before needing to switch.

In any case, if the OP could provide more information with what type of strategy he is using aside popping CDs, that would be helpful as well.

Deaths usually come right at the switch, either as i"m running to switch (healer bails first, I have to wait until someone comes over) or right after (Anashal was hitting big right after the switch).

I completely missed the stacking debuff. I have my debuffs set bigger than my buffs but still didn't see it. That would explain why it starts out fine and then goes down hill.

We do switch at ~80 (trying to place that last ice patch somewhere other than on the bridge as they jump... sheesh)

Thanks all!
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Tschus View Post
    BTW Anshal hits really hard after he finishes the channeling because he gains a buff for ~15 secs. I think that's why you died. I always pop my shield wall to survive those hits.
    Yeah - the hits did look pretty big, the one time we examined things closely after the fight, got an 80k unblocked and 2 crit blocked and 1 regular blocked too fast for the healer to catch up. Thanks!

Since you are only getting to the point where you swap tanks and healers once, the tank that starts on Nezir will take significantly more damage. This is two fold. First, Nezir does more damage to the tank normally because of the stacking debuff. Second, immediately following Anshal's ultimate he has a 15 second buff to his damage and that is the only time his tank damage gets to be extreme. So if you start on Nezir's platform, you have to take the heavier damage from the start and are the first tank to have to deal with Anshal's buffed damage. The other tank won't experience that until they switch back for the second ultimate.

I'd say your damage isn't that out of the ordinary. Though positioning plays a bit in this encounter. For example, since Anshal gets a buff from his ultimate for 15 seconds, if you aren't standing right next to him and let him meander over to you that wastes some of the buff duration before he actually hits you. On Nezir's platform, healing is significantly lowered if your healer is also getting out of the frost patches quickly and also making sure they aren't in the same line as you for when the cone attack occurs.

It doesn't really look like anything out of the ordinary really other than the fact that on the second attempt your DK tank took no damage at all from Nezir (did a switch ever occur in that case)?
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

No, I don't think he did. They were having some issues with where the pacify green dot fell. We had more attempts than this, but it seemed 50/50 that he was able to make the jump.

I know we have mechanics to work out, I missed the debuff and didn't realize why I was taking more damage.

Thanks for all the feedback.