Thread: Magmaw Add Tanking

Magmaw Add Tanking

We just recently started raiding and although we don't have a problem with getting Magmaw down, I just had a question about how to tank the adds correctly and kill them with just a prot warrior.

First off this is the way we do it. We stack all heals and dps on one side of him in melee range, the tanks on the other side, and myself and a hunter stay out. When it is about time for pillar I stack on the hunter and he drops a trap. Once pillar happens I move out for a sec then run in and rend+ thunderclap then I just kite them around the trap. As it stands now I have to have the hunter help me kill the adds because my rend, thunderclap, and shockwaves don't kill them fast enough.

I have Vigilance on the other tank for the extra vengeance and I am waiting for 3 Thunderclaps before shockwaving to maximize that damage. I have seen and have been told that I should be able to kill them just by myself and when looking at parses on world of logs there is something else that is doing damage to the adds just listed as other. Rend, Shockwave, thunderclap, cleave and all that is also listed so this damag is coming from something else.

A friend suggested that I rend Magmaw when he is impaled and then thunderclap to spread the rend to the others and I should benefit from the damage increase but I have yet to see that happen.

Anyhow, if anyone knows how to do this correclty pls let me know and the rest of the community here. It's not a raid breaker or anything but I want to be doing the best I can. Thank you in advance.

Nah you cant really solo them, there are 10? with this on 25 man its arround 4 milion hp, the pillar of flame cd is 30 seconds, I dont know a class that can do 4 mil dmg in 30 seconds.
    But that aside since you are not kiteing but tanking you will get vomit debuff and spawn even more little buggers. The correct way of doing this is just haveing aggro on each add and not letting them multiply on other raid members, it doesnt really matter if you kill them all or not as long as aggro is on you.

i wouldnt recommend tanking and killing them.
    if you want to kill them a ranged dps should aggro them and kite while other dps aoe them down (frost dk is best for this but mage, hunter also works)
    altough i havent personally tested it im pretty sure you could just offtank all worms for the whole fight, they dont hit for much and maximum infections is 3 i believe so try that if your group lacks the aoe to kill them fast

Magmaw Add Tanking

Wasn't there a talent for prot at one point that sometimes did dmg to a mob if they attacked you.
    I remember this being a nuisance in CoS when trying for the zombie achievement. I think pallies had something similar. I'm not at the comp atm, but that might be the unknown dmg you are seeing.
    ./shrug

If this is 10, I don't try to kill them... I do the same with the rend, thunderclapx3, shockwave and just try to keep aggro on them taking as little dmg as possible. Eventually they die, and I use the victory rush proc to aid healing.

25, well idk about that...

there was a prot warrior talent (reflecting shield or something) but i think they removed it (not sure as i dont play a warrior). paladins have retribution aura (which does very little dmg anyway)

Magmaw Add Tanking

I'm pretty sure the talent was inherent in the talent tree for pallies as well and wasn't part of an aura.
    Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember. Crap...

okay, i do Tank the adds and managed ranking in the top 200 last night, so its quite doable, but healing intense since the worms got buffed in 4.0.6 (previously you could only have one parasitic infection at a time, now you can have multiple infections running concurrently).

You don't need to kite them. They spawn, you pick them up, they stack your vengenace while mulching your innards, and you kill them. There's no real trick, you can try to focus down the low health ones with your Free GCDs, though between using TC, Rev & SW on cd, and cleaving to buggery you don't have many.

Rending Magmaw and then BnTing to the worms will not increase your DPS. Only magmaw has the Point of Vulnerabilty Debuff, and you can't spread this to the worms.

Thing is you don't need to kill all the adds before the next pack spawns you just need to control them, 20% of the time they're stunned, you're gonna keep Demoshout and TC on them to minimise your damage, and you really want to making use of Victory Rush when it procs to help with the healing.

Killing all the adds in each wave is a pain in the arse since you have to reapply rend, your vengenace fall off and you look a bit of a wally standing out there on your own firing your popgun at magmaw.

I was tanking this the other night, do your usual stuff rending and keeping it spread, but you can spam inner rage cleaves, you don't have to kill 10 every 30 seconds, once the second lot are spawned you have some time to kill most of them before he pillars again with the downtime head phase. I was killing most of them between head phases. Though this was just on 10m.

Hi.

I did that on both 10 man and 25 man versions. I dont really do any kiting at all, it's not needed. Just focus on maxing the dmg on then.

On 10 man i usually kill them way to quickly and have almost whole second phase for just dpsing magmaw's head instead. What I do is basically what some ppl already described to you. Charge in and rend, then thunderclap 3 times and shockwave in the meantime just use your cleave and if you really want to go for very high numbers help yourself with inner rage and spreading the rend of magmaw's head so it will tick for 100% more dmg. Just make sure that some deathknights are not trying to make their numbers higher as well and tell them not to spread the dots on your adds as the longer you go the more of them you gonna have to fight with and if you start loosing them to just stupid dk making more dps you will loose concetration.

Make use of victory rush, you can easily heal with just that on 10 man tho, its 25 man that you will need one healer just for you as killing them will take much longer so you won't be able to keep up with just victory rush.

Just curious if anyone has tried tanking these in dps spec with a sword and board so you can DPS Magmaw while there are no parasites up. I haven't tried it or heard of anyone trying it, it just popped into my head while I was sitting here at work.