+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just trying to see if i am on the right path

Just trying to see if i am on the right path

I am saving for the craftable chest piece and am working on rep to get the exalted boots from wildhammer.Just wanted to see what the general thoughts were and if i was on the right track with my enchants,gems and gear selection so far.Here is my armory link

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rrorazz/simple

To be honest I cannot see your "path". I cannot see your strategy.

You:
    - have mostly mastery focused enchants (even strength/mastery head enchant instead of stam/dodge)
    - have one stamina focused enchat (chest, you also can use stats to increase dodge/parry via strength/agility beside of some stamina)
    - reforge away from mastery towards dodge, parry and even hit
    - use some pure stamina gems
    - others that favor parry

I just don't know what you want to archieve doing so.

My idea is:
    1. Decide what you want to do with threat stats like hit and expertise. Do you need them? Then don't reforge them. Can you live without then? Then just reforge them to something much more usefull. Like survival stats. You should probably be fine without them. You are nowhere near the caps so you should be fine with less of them.

2. Decide what are your most important stats and do anything to push those, not just randomly everything that may be good for tanking. For example: You should have enough stamina for the content you are doing. When you get appropriate gear upgrades you should have enough health for heroic 5mans and normal raids.

Most tanks focus on mastery. Healers love it. Especially at your gearing level. And for warriors it's really important to get to a special point with your mastery. That's 72.4% combined parry+dodge+mastery. This value is quite important to reach. If you are there, you can use Shield Block which gives you another 25% block chance and since bosses have a miss chance of 5% they will not be able to hit you with a full hit anymore while Shield Block is up. That's like 30% higher armor. It's the best thing any tank can get with mastery at the moment. So don't just pass on it.

But even after that, mastery stays to be good or even our best stat. It just scales best. And it's best for your healers, too. Because they can use cheaper heals to heal you up, if you just get some dmg instead of full dmg. They can spam those cheap heals until ever. But they have problems to use the bigger and faster more expensive heals.

So which gear should you try to get?
    1. items with mastery + dodge/parry
    2. items with dodge + parry or items with mastery + hit/expertise
    3. items with dodge/parry + hit/expertise
    4. other items
    5. items with resilience

How should you reforge those items?
    1. If the item has no mastery, reforge for mastery.
    a) if the item has one out of crit/haste/hit/expertise reforge the biggest one of them to mastery
    b) if the item has dodge + parry reforge the higher one to mastery
    2. If the item has already mastery, reforge to increase and balance your dodge and parry
    a) if the item has crit/haste/hit/expertise reforge it to the one which you have less of (look at your ratings when buffed, not at your percentage)
    b) if the item has dodge or parry reforge it to the other one if you have a big difference between them

Dode and parry should not be far away of each other as long as you have not reached the 72.4%. Because you get the most out of them when the ratings are close together. (Both get diminishing returns, so that if you have less rating 100 additional ratings will give you more % than if you already have a high amount.) However, if you are over the 72.4% start to let parry get a little bit (1-4%) higher than dodge. That's because of Hold the Line.

How should you gem your gear?
    There are 4 possible options:
    1. All mastery (and everything you need to get the meta working)
    2. Mastery focused (blue: mastery/stam, yellow: mastery, red: mastery/parry)
    3. Stamina focussed (blue: stam, yellow: stam/mastery, red:stam/parry)
    4. All stamina (and everything you need to get the meta working)

At your current gear level I would recommend to get socket bonuses to just get a little bit more ratings. You probably don't need much additional stamina, if you are doing appropriate content. So focus more on mastery.

About your talents: Deep Wounds, Incite, Cruelty and War Academy help you more with your dmg or threat than Blitz and Drum of Wars.

I changed my talents around. I don't have the rep for the head enchant that you are talking about I am like 2000 points shy think I am going to put earthen ring tabard on to try and get that.When I am doing dailies I am only doing like 3 k dps is that anywhere close to right or am I terrible

Your dps depends imensly on what you are fighting. If you do one none elite your dps should be quite low. If you are taking a bunch of mobs your Vengence should pop in and you should do quite high numbers. The same for hard hitting bosses.

So as long as you don't give more information we cannot tell if you do something right or wrong. We either need a better description about what you are doing and where you see those numbers, or a log or something.

Anyway: the changes to the talents should only be minor. They should improve your threat a little bit. So you should be save to drop your hit. Because they do much more to your dps/threat thany the hit you have on gear. But all other changes I proposed are much more important for you. Even if your healers can pop you up at the moment. If you want to face further content you should at least get to the 72.4% I mentioned. It's the FIRST goal for warrior tanks. Like old def cap.0

Edit: I see you have droped Heavy Repercussions in favore for Incite. Don't do that. Heavy Repercussions give you much more burst dmg. That's what you need most at the start of an encounter. Incite was nerved via the HS nerv of the last patch.
    Last edited by Katzazi; 02-23-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Did some reforging wanted to see what public opinions were.I am Probably going to respec into heavy rep tomorrow . Tuesday we are starting magmaw 10

Quote Originally Posted by Texan81 View Post
    Did some reforging wanted to see what public opinions were.I am Probably going to respec into heavy rep tomorrow . Tuesday we are starting magmaw 10
    Not gonna touch the spec/glyphs, but gear/enchants/reforging looks good other than one of your trinkets, you want to use the Other Mastery Trinket from Tol Barad for tanking.

I have the other trinket I switch between the 2

you dodge/parry/block looks excellent, contiue to raise them when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Not gonna touch the spec/glyphs, but gear/enchants/reforging looks good other than one of your trinkets, you want to use the Other Mastery Trinket from Tol Barad for tanking.
    Is there something major wrong with spec/glyphs ?

Specc:
    No Heavy Repercussions but picked up Gag Order instead.. that's bad. Prefering Thunderstruck over Cruelty is a matter of taste.

Glyphs:
    major - shockwave glyph is huge imho especially compared to -5 rage on thunderclap.. Shieldwall is situational at best.
    minor - Demo Shout is missing, drop Intimidating Shout

Gems:
    Still one pure parry and a parry/stam left, replace both with x/mastery.

And if you don't need the money please drop Herbalism, it's just such a bad tanking profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan81 View Post
    Is there something major wrong with spec/glyphs ?
    I don't know warrior specs/glyphs, but gear follows the same as Paladins, just with a preference for Parry instead of Dodge.

Respecced picked up heavy repercussion

I have to pick two of these and i seem to be torn on some i know i want the valor one http://www.wowhead.com/item=58187 but which of these is better http://www.wowhead.com/item=52320 http://www.wowhead.com/item=62440 http://www.wowhead.com/item=62351 http://www.wowhead.com/item=62362 Here is my armory link if you need it again http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rrorazz/simple

I like Intimidating Shout, it's like another stun in multi mob situations and buys your healers some time. Although, I have noticed that some of the mobs still run away, but most stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I like Intimidating Shout, it's like another stun in multi mob situations and buys your healers some time. Although, I have noticed that some of the mobs still run away, but most stay in place.
    I opened a ticket on that actually, because the tool tip says it fears them in place. Buuuut, the GM said that they only get feared in place if they are ROOTABLE. Other then that, they will flee. I told him that was stupid and that they should change it. I didn't get a response back xD

Quote Originally Posted by Rystrave View Post
    I opened a ticket on that actually, because the tool tip says it fears them in place. Buuuut, the GM said that they only get feared in place if they are ROOTABLE. Other then that, they will flee. I told him that was stupid and that they should change it. I didn't get a response back xD
    That is stupid and not what the tool tip says. Also, I don't remember it working in the past as the GM claims.

It feared them all into place previously, I guess 4.1 broke this (or a stealth hotfix what works so it's broken nerf), I had noticed the same thing, that sometimes mobs run all over the place (or your fellow raid members when you use it to break Worshipping as deeps) - that is a freaking lame stealth nerf. It's useless if it doesn't fear everyone into place.

Back to Texan81's question. http://www.wowhead.com/item=62440 has the most mastery by far. Not even close. I'd probably go with this one. I probably should switch back from Talons guard but I'm lazy and I'm getting the VP tanking in 2 weeks.

As for your build - remember to always reforge to Mastery. Gloves at least are guilty of not having mastery. You have 2300 mastery rating, parry should be ~700 rating higher than dodge (maybe a little bigger difference) - to maximize the effect of HtL before the DR make it even with Dodge again.

Get mirror instead of youth as the TB trinket - there's enough magic damage that makes it's awesome - raid buffed I'm seeing something like 40-60% magic damage reistance while it's up. Especially when you get to Nef or start on hard modes or if you're MT-ing Maloriak or ODS or miss a debuff on council - and definately once you start hard modes

*Cardinal sin* reforging mastery into anything else. Made even worse by reforging into expertise Are you having trouble with threat? You shouldn't need to reforge into any threat stats and you should never reforge from mastery into threat. Talent build looks good for threat, maybe it's a rotational issue - or maybe it's DEEPs not knowing vengence?

Gemming - if you're trying to opitmize, your gemming is a bit off, blue slots look good except for the purple in your belt, but you have some hybrids in yellows and a hybrid in your belt's prismatic.

You'll get more out of blue=20mastery/30 stam, yellow = 40 mastery, red = 20parry/20mastery, prismatic/deeps bonus=40 mastery

At your level of mastery, the Eternal meta (block value) has been shown to be more valuable than the Austere meta.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

While most people advocate mastery, just remember to meet your meta gem requirements. There's enough blue slots where you can drop a stam/mastery for you to do that usually.

I have both trinkets i switch back and forth I fixed the unfortunate expertise reforge that was left over from a bad build idea I was going to switch meta gems but there was none of them on ah will get one soon though

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    While most people advocate mastery, just remember to meet your meta gem requirements. There's enough blue slots where you can drop a stam/mastery for you to do that usually.
    Not sure if you mean drop a 20mastery/30stam gem for a 60 stam gem to hit the meta requirement. If you do this, you're doing it wrong.

Hybrid gems activate metas.

Or if you mean dropping 20mastery/30 stam gems in place of 40 mastery gems in blue slots. If you're putting 40 mastery gems in blue slots, you're doing it wrong too...

Sorry.. I'm not 100% sure what you're saying - so if I'm missinterrperted, my applogies, but something looks amiss to me in what you wrote.
    Last edited by Loganisis; 06-07-2011 at 11:53 PM.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

+ Reply to Thread