+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gold Making (20-35)...

Gold Making (20-35)...

Hello everyone,

I'm currently a level 22 retribution paladin. I began my career by leveling my fishing from 1-525. That netted me about 1000g and a few sweet achievements and pets. Because I had "so much" gold as a low level toon, I chose my professions to be blacksmithing & enchanting.

22 levels later and I've maxed out everything. My cooking & first aid are maxed. My blacksmithing and enchanting are maxed and I'm wearing the very best crafted gear with the best enchants for someone my level. I'm really in love with this profession combination regardless of the fact that it's a complete drain on my coffers.

Looking ahead at level 35, though, I have to climb the 225 to 300 hurdle on FA, BS, & Ench. The downside is, I don't have much gold left. I'm down to about 200g and since most of my fish have sold by now, there's not much income other than quests. I'd really love to level all three to max as soon as I ding 35, though.

To throw a HUGE wrench in my plans, my server economy seems broken right now. Thorium Bars are selling for 7g each and according to the latest profession leveling guides, this 225-300 hurdle will require 460 bars. 460 bars x 7g ea = 3220g on that one material alone!!!

What would be the best way for me to grind out that amount of gold? I'm not much of an AH player and would prefer to just solo some dungeons or something. I got my huge sum of starter cash from fishing up Imperial Manta Rays in Borean Tundera. They are selling for about 60g / stack on my server.

Is my time best served fishing up Imperial Manta Rays or can someone else offer a better way to grind out some gold?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Athanatos
    Wyrmrest Accord

I suppose I'm mostly wondering if you're opposed to just leveling as fast as possible to 85. This is what I did, completely ignoring every profession along the way, and I netted somewhere in the ballpark of 7-8k gold just from quests. Then, I went back and leveled my mining, which took like half a day, and provided me all the mats I needed for blacksmithing. I feel like this method is 10x faster and easier than trying to keep your professions leveled up with you as you level your character. Everything you do at 85 is more profitable. Quests reward more gold, items vendor for more gold, materials sell for more gold as a general rule, and so on. Getting to 85 and then gathering mats and leveling your professions in a few day's time is the way to go, imho.

Nevermind, it looks like the professions are not maxed out. Just capped until you level, lol.
    Last edited by Cammi; 02-20-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: OP used incorrect words, confusing.

@Vigilant: I'm not 100% opposed to it, but I've never really leveled a character while actually using the professions and I wanted to really see what it was like. When I dinged 21 yesterday, because I had level-capped my professions, I was able to equip the crafted Bronze Greatsword as soon as I dinged. In addition, I have +4 sharpening stones and an Impact enchant for an additional +4 damage (and a cool blue glowy hue).

While, I know this isn't twink level stuff and odds are I could probably get something slightly better from the AH, I really feel good about crafting my own gear and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. In addition, I'm hitting like a truck in dungeons and I'm pretty consistently doing about 60% of my PuG 5-mans damage (I'm not bragging, I'm just stating that to show that it's not a "bad" way to level).

So, while I could just power to 85, I'd like to take this character slower and have a lot of fun in these interim levels. That's why I'm actually worried that I might have to give up on this little dream if I can't find a way to grind out this gold by level 35. Now that leveling is so doggone fast, I could be level 35 by tomorrow! Sheesh.

To help with costs (and possibly make money) is to craft things that you can sell. It seems you're okay with selling stuff on the AH so I recommend reading this article over at The Consortium.

Also keep in mind what you're crafting Disenchants into and look at how much that sells for on the AH compared to the thorium costs. Greater eternal essences and Illusion dust are also usually priced high on the AH, so effective costs can be reduced or turned into profit.

I'm surprised by the thorium prices, especially with how much easier it is to farm that stuff now (Winterspring is swimming in the stuff).

Best of luck.
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

my advice would be to just level and use quest/dungeon gear and skip the crafted gear to use since you would just be replacing it in a few levels and have to waste mats to make it. once you get to lvl 55 you can make a death knight on your server if you haven't got a toon that high on another server yet. you can do the dk starter zone in no time, level to 60 to get flying mount, and choose mining and another farming profession like herbalism to use as your money maker. mining will provide you with mats to level your blacksmithing up on your main character and lessen the gold needed to power level it (one of the top 3 most expensive profs to power level). herbing or skinning will provide you with the gold to level your enchanting which is another top 3 most expensive prof to level.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

@Ooze That guide looks very similar to the one I'm using: http://www.wow-professions.com/profe...eveling-guides. I prefer mine, though, because it lists the materials list right up front. I've tried the disenchanting my crafting exploits, but I just use those mats to level my enchanting. So, I'm not really making money off that. Though, I've considered soloing Deadmines a few times to see how much gold I make per hour in disenchants & cloth drops. I'm sure a few stacks of Strange Dust would sell decently.

@Destruyen I hadn't considered the DK idea for farming. That's a great idea, but not one I'm likely to pursue. I'm eligable, but I want to keep this more in line with the spirit of leveling (as much as I can) than anything else. It would be a much better idea to just get the DK and farm the ore, but I feel like I should do this all with the one toon. Similarly, I haven't mailed him any gold or helped him in any significant way with my mains (I mailed him bags, but I paid myself the money that would normally be paid to an AH person).

--

So far, I have my Hearthstone set in Stormwind. I take the boat to go fishing in Borean Tundra and then when my bags are full I hearth back to post on the SW AH. By then, if I have auction money I buy whatever mats I can. I figure if I do this a few bagfuls per day, then by the time I reach 35 (I'm going at a snail's pace), I should have almost everything purchased for leveling my professions to 300. Well, I hope so, at least.

First of all, your problem is exactly the reason why people advice to take at least 1 gathering profession. Without help it's almost not possible to level 2 production professions.

Yes, you can sell the enchanting mats you gain from producing BS articles, but than your enchanting won't go up.

Second, I understand why you want to lvl to max for your lvl asap, but if you think about it, it's of no use for your character. You can make items which require an character lvl higher than yours. Beceause of this, it's better to lvl your professions in the same pace you lvl your character. That usually works great.

Last, I saw somebody mention to powerlvl to 85 and than work on your professions. Yes, this can work, but it's not as much fun and there is a faster (and more fun) method.
    If you have 1 gathering profession like discussed, than you can gather materials during levelling. This almost won't cost you time since you skin the animals you kill or you mine the rocks you see during levelling. You can use these to lvl up your production profession. Like this those professions grow with you without costing to much time. It's more fun and you won't have to go back to "low lvl" zones ones you hit 85.

Good luck!

not that anyone does it anymore but there is lot to be said for enjoying your levelling and the world that is WOW
    i levelled a few characters to 85 fast and i have no love for them like the ones i took time with.

maybe im just an old fuddy duddy tho :P

@Couladin: I honestly cannot say I agree with a harvesting profession while you level as being a super functional idea. The speed of leveling since the Cataclysm XP changes pretty much gauruntees that you'll have to go back every few levels to bring it up to speed, anyways. I would also suggest getting to 85 and then farming the mats. Hoofing it on your 60% mount is a nightmare, flying makes a world of difference.

I actually made money from levelling ming and engineering to 300+ on my hunter. Had mining up to 340 and had the helicopter built by the time I hit 60.

@Couladin: I honestly cannot say I agree with a harvesting profession while you level as being a super functional idea. The speed of leveling since the Cataclysm XP changes pretty much gauruntees you'll have to go back every few levels to bring it up to speed, anyways. I would also suggest getting to 85 and then farming the mats. I mean, not only is hoofing it on your 60% mount a nightmare for farming, but it slows everything else down.

@Everyone : Thanks for all of the advice. Though, I think I may have worded my question in a manner that didn't specifically target where I was looking for help. I can agree, as I'm sure most of us will, that the best way to make money is two gathering professions while leveling. Questing makes lots of gold. If you're gonna level a production profession, it would be advisable to take its partner gathering profession with it.

However, all of these are "should haves" for me. I understand that my method isn't ideal, but this is how I'm leveling because it adds to the fun factor for me.

My question comes down to, "aside from playing the auction house, is there a quicker way for me to make gold/hr than fishing up Northrend fish (given that I'm only level 22-35)."

-Can I go farm Deadmines D/E mats and cloth in a bunch of solo runs?
    -Are there some good money making strategies that you know about that involve buying cheap mats on the AH and then crafting something people will buy? (I.e, cheap tin ore can lead to good money on bronze bars)]

Any suggestions you have for me on how I can make gold, without changing my fundamental two-production profession setup, would be very helpful. Thanks for all of the advice already. Perhaps I can use it on another one of my leveling toons.

And thanks for all of the advice yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Couladin View Post
    Second, I understand why you want to lvl to max for your lvl asap, but if you think about it, it's of no use for your character. You can make items which require an character lvl higher than yours. Beceause of this, it's better to lvl your professions in the same pace you lvl your character. That usually works great.
    I agree with you here. For example, my blacksmithing is level 225 right now at level 22 and I can make plate armor (Heavy Mithril Gauntlets) that I can't use until level 40. My whole reason for "powerleveling" to the max is so I don't have to come back to the AH every level and skill-up five points or so. That gets tedious for me. It's an option, though, if nothing else works.

What I'm doing right now is sort of a preemptive way of doing this. Every morning I check the AH and buy a stack or two of cheap bars. Then, I wait until the price comes down and do it again. Usually every 8-12 hours I pick a few for a cheap price. This would be similar to how you would do it if you leveled just a few points every time you leveled.

This is great advice, though, and I appreciate it.

it all depends what you want to do with the character. when I levelled my hunter's engineering it was mainly because I really wanted the flying machine. If I needed to spend 20 minutes riding around dalaran/strahnbrad to pick up 200 tin ore (and finding quite a bit of silver too) then that is what I did. I spent 15 minutes in un'goro at level 48 dodging level 54 raptors and level 56 beetles mining thorium (which was rather more fun than mindlessly zerging through stratholme ud side) to get my mining up, I had engineering and mining at 300 when I hit level 50, mining was nearly 340 by the time I hit level 60. I am in the process of dumping the thorium etc that I didn't need, and will definitely make a profit.

If it is fun to have a maxed out profession then go ahead and do it. I have an arsenal of exploding sheep, mines, flash grenades and an airplane. That is cool and fun, and I don't mind that I might have spent 2 hours longer farming ore than I would have done at level 85, and the feeling of striking lucky when you find a gold vein when questing and don't have to leave it to someone else is nice.

Something a guildie told me about last night really helped, maybe if you're making gold out there in the mid-levels this will help you.

Enchanting! It was the big "DUH" staring at me the whole time and I didn't even realize it. I went to the AH and found a bunch of greens in the 40-50 range that were selling for 1-3g and disenchanted them. After about a 50g investement, and a few fish that sold, I came away from the AH this morning with about 400g. I'm sure I'll make another 100-200g by the time I get home from school today.

So, if you're out there trying to make gold and you're an enchanter, that's a great way to suppliment your income.

yeah the mats for 250-280 have always been good for gold, I remember farming maraudon on my warlock back before tbc for gold.

Personally, in your situation, I'd focus on enchanting first, then come back to Blacksmithing when you get some gold. I have all the professions leveled on various toons (except skinning and LW) and unless you're a miner you're going to need lots of gold for the BS mats. If your server is like mine, the BC ores sell for a lot of gold and just wait until you need Khorium - very scarce on my server. Once you get enchanting leveled you can pretty much make all the gold you need selling mats on the ah and pull BS along.

But fair warning, the worst professions to get from 500 -525 for me were jewel crafting, enchanting, inscription (okay I didn't know there was an ink trader DOH) and tailoring in that order. And enchanting was really expensive to get from 520 - 525; of course it was early in the expansion and I didn't have mats.

+ Reply to Thread