+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Cata] Prot Warrior Gear list

[Cata] Prot Warrior Gear list

Welcome Tanks!
    Not sure If I would like to make this a dedicated guide or what, but maybe just a source of reference for people that are gearing up and or raiding and want to find a base of what to look for.

In this list I show what gear you should be looking for before going in and progressing on raid content in Cataclysm. You will see that all of the gear in this list is either 346 + , In my opinion you should have all 346's + to help your raid group out instead of having those pesky 333's mixed in. I'm not saying that 333`s are bad, But you should only have 1-2 at the most.

Also you should not have any PvP gear on at all while tanking, Its a waist and you will usually be called out on it every time someone looks at you while you are tanking. So to save you the embarrassment don't wear any PvP gear.

Now on to the list.

- Pre-Raid Gear -

Helm
    Reinforced Bio-Optic Killshades (ilvl 359 - Engineering - Only
    Helm Of Setesh (ilvl 346 - Setesh [Heroic Halls of Origination]
    Helm of the Proud (ilvl 346 - 2200 Justice Points
    Crown of Wings (ilvl 346 - Wildhammer Clan - Revered - Alliance Only
    Grinning Fang Helm (ilvl 346 - Dragonmaw Clan - Revered- Horde Only

Neck

The Lustrous Eye (ilvl 346 - 1250 Justice Points
    Elementium Guardian (ilvl 346 - Jewelcrafting
    Carrier Wave Pendant (ilvl 346 - Ascendant Lord Obsidius [Heroic Blackrock Caverns]
    Darkhowl Amulet (ilvl 346 - Temple Guardian Anhuur [Heroic Halls of Origination]

Shoulders
    Heaving Plates of Protection (ilvl 359 - Zone Drop [The Bastion of Twilight] (You will need to buy these from the AH if the price is right!)
    Earthshape Pauldrons (ilvl 346 - Drahga Shadowburner [Heroic Grim Batol]
    Sunburnt Pauldrons (ilvl 346 - 1650 Justice Points

Cloak
    Wrap of the Great Turtle (ilvl 359 - Exalted - Guardians of Hyjal
    Twilight Dragonscale Cloak (ilvl 346 - Leatherworking
    Billowing Cape (ilvl 346 - Assad [Heroic Vortex Pinnacle]
    Shroud of Dark Memories (ilvl 346 - Zone Drop [Heroic Grim Batol]

Chest
    Hardened Elementium Haulberk (ilvl 359 - Blacksmithing
    Icebone Hauberk (ilvl 359 - World Drop (Lucky on the world drop, or you will have to buy from the AH.)
    Chestplate of the Steadfast (ilvl 346 - 2200 Justice Points
    Beauty`s Plate (ilvl 346 - Beauty [Heroic Blackrock Caverns]

Wrist
    Sandguard Bracers (ilvl 359 - Exalted - Ramkahen
    Shackles of Undeath (ilvl 346 - Lord Godfrey [Heroic Shadowfang Keep]

Hands
    Numbing Handguards (ilvl 346 - 1650 Justice Points
    Fingers of Light (ilvl 346 - Rajh [Heroic Halls of Origination]
    Gloves of the Graymane Wall (ilvl 346 - Baron Ashbury [Heroic Shadowfang Keep]

Waist
    Hardend Elementium Girdle (ilvl 359 - Blacksmithing
    Sand Dune Belt (ilvl 346 - Lockmaw & Augh [Heroic Lost City of the Tol'vir]
    Girdle of the Mountains (ilvl 346 - 1650 Justice Points
    Iron Will Girdle (ilvl 346 - Lord Walden [Heroic Shadowfang Keep]

Legs

Triton Legplates (ilvl 346 - Ozumat [Heroic Throne of the Tides]
    Greaves of Splendor (ilvl 346 2200 Justice Points
    Legguards of Winnowing Wind (ilvl 346 - Assad [Heroic Vortex Pinnacle]

Feet
    Boots of Sullen Rock (ilvl 359 - Dragonmaw Clan - Exalted - Horde Only
    Gryphon Rider's Boots (ilvl 359 - Wildhammer Clan - Exalted- Alliance Only
    Darkskye Treads (ilvl 346 - Zone Drop [Heroic Vortex Pinnacle]

Ring
    Elementium Moebius Band (ilvl 346 - Jewelcrafting
    Red Rock Band (ilvl 346 - Revered - Ramkahen
    Ring of Three Lights (ilvl 346 - Siamat [Heroic Lost City of the Tol'vir]
    Phosphorescent Ring (ilvl 346 - Corborus [Heroic Stonecore
    Felsen's Ring of Resolve (ilvl 346 - Revered - Therazane

Trinket
    Figureine-Earthern Guardian (ilvl 346 - Jewelcrafting
    Leaden Despair (ilvl 346 - High Priestess Azil [Heroic Stonecore]
    Porcelain Crab (ilvl 346 - Erunak Stonespeaker & Mindbender Ghur'sha [Heroic Throne of the Tides]
    Impetuous Query (ilvl 346 - Zone Drop [Heroic Lost City of the Tol'vir]

Ranged
    Thundercall (ilvl 346 - Zone Drop [Heroic Vortex Pinnacle]
    Sky Piercer (ilvl 346 - Baradin's Wardens - Revered[Alliance] or Hellscream's Reach - Revered[Horde]

Weapon
    Cookie's Tenderizer (ilvl 346 - "Captain" Cookie [Heroic Deadmines]
    Elementium Fang (ilvl 346 - High Priestess Azil [Heroic Stonecore]
    Scimitar of the Sirocco (ilvl 359 - Archaeology
    Cruel Barb (ilvl 346 - Helix Gearbreaker [Heroic Deadmines]

Shield
    Elementium Earthguard (ilvl 359 - Blacksmithing
    Shield of the Four Grey Towers (ilvl 346 - 950 Justice Points
    Shield of the Iron Maiden (ilvl 346 - Rom'ogg Bonecrusher [Heroic Blackrock Caverns]
    Bulwark of the Primordial Mound (ilvl 346 - Earthrager Ptah [Heroic Halls of Origination]

Well Thats the list I compiled together to give other Protection Warrior Tanks , and or tanks in general a form of reference while gearing up for Raids. I may have a Pre-Heroic Raid list coming soon, Just want to see what the feedback from this list is before I post it.

Feedback is welcomed , Would like to know if I'm missing anything , or some info is incorrect.

Pre-Heroic Raiding List:
    BiS Tanking Gear Including Relic's and 2-handed Weapons!

Protection Warrior Gemming/Spec/Enchants: Coming Soon!
    This may be added to this list or have its own thread, But like my Pre-Heroic raiding list, I would still like to see some feedback on it before posting this.
    Last edited by Unforgivein; 02-27-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fixing Mistakes in Spelling and Sizeing

I recommend the exalted dps belt from hyjal be added under belts. It is actually pretty decent for tanking and would compete well with any of the blues available at that level of gearing if you reforge away the crit.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Re: [Cata] Prot Warrior Gear list

I agree. I use it myself. Too bad it looks ridiculous lol.

Also, none of those links work in tapatalk. Not sure about on a PC, it might just be tapatalk. Tho I have seen links that do work on it.

You should add Heaving Plates of Protection, BoE ilvl 359 shoulders.
    2570 Armor
    +253 Strength
    +380 Stamina

Blue Socket
    Socket Bonus: +10 Mastery Rating

Durability 100 / 100
    Requires Level 85
    Item Level 359
    Equip: Increases your parry rating by 129.
    Equip: Increases your mastery rating by 169.

As well as Icebone Hauberk, BoE ilvl 359 chest.
    3426 Armor
    +239 Strength
    +512 Stamina

Yellow Socket
    Yellow Socket
    Socket Bonus: +20 Parry Rating

Durability 165 / 165
    Requires Level 85
    Item Level 359
    Equip: Improves hit rating by 173.
    Equip: Increases your parry rating by 281.

I'm at work so I can't link the items, but I went to a cached page and copied the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudocide View Post
    You should add Heaving Plates of Protection, BoE ilvl 359 shoulders.

As well as Icebone Hauberk, BoE ilvl 359 chest.
    They are world drops. As it's a pre-raid guide I would think that leaving them off is ok (or add them but notate they are dropped off mobs)

OP's intent, I assume, was to provide a list of easily obtainable gear via BOSSES or REP.

Great guide, btw ! Thanks !

I realize they are world drops, but the way the economy is on most servers, they are easily attainable by almost anyone. It is of my opinion that if you are going to include crafted BoEs you should include world drops as well, since one can obtain both Pre-Raid. Just my two copper, take it how you want.
    Last edited by Pseudocide; 02-17-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I spell gud.

Quote Originally Posted by nserafini View Post
    They are world drops. As it's a pre-raid guide I would think that leaving them off is ok (or add them but notate they are dropped off mobs)

OP's intent, I assume, was to provide a list of easily obtainable gear via BOSSES or REP.

Great guide, btw ! Thanks !
    Yeah, I was posting things that require no raiding at all, Sure you can buy these from your AH, even though some or even most servers you can get them for a cheap price, But im posting it as if Anyone can get this rep, and or heroic gear. I will add the Boe's and notate as you said that you will have to buy these.

I recommend the exalted dps belt from hyjal be added under belts. It is actually pretty decent for tanking and would compete well with any of the blues available at that level of gearing if you reforge away the crit.
    The rep belt, I dont like to see warriors wearing, I would understand if DK`s were wearing them. But I would strongly suggest getting the crafted one.

Reserved for Future Use.

I'd consider Axe of Eclipse from Heroic VP-Altrius for main hand

Baradin's Rep Trinkets are also good. Broken Mirror, Impatience of Youth, and Unsolvable Riddle. All give +321 Mast a piece. The one with +1605 Strength might be a good threat recovery button when needed. (trinket swap in).

Quote Originally Posted by pureheart View Post
    The one with +1605 Strength might be a good threat recovery button when needed. (trinket swap in).
    I'm not sure what you meant, but you can't swap trinkets in combat. And, on a personal note, I would only include the Tol Barad Mirror of Broken Images.
    To all the Tanks that gem Stamina: "It's not the magic attack that kills you, it's the physical attack before and after."

You used to be able to, I know I was surprised when I signed back up for Cata.

You have not been able to swap trinkets in combat for as long as Ihave played and I have played since bc was three months from release.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

not since i played in prebc in ZG either.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

No, you've never been able to trinket swap in combat from what i remember either...Just b4 tbc(back when "gold farmer" still meant goin to dire maul >.<)...Between pulls, but again, this wouldnt affect threat loss/gain..

I also use the Hyjal excaulted belt..Ratings Buster doesnt ever show decent upgrades when ccompared to any of the heroic 5mans drops when ive come accross them...It was a great upgradefropm the green quest belt, and havent seen qa nicer one (otherthan the crafted one) pre raid...I like it for now until i fill in other mroeneeded upgrades...
    Theres also 2 nice bracers from H HoO..one dps, one tank...Ramkehan is just such a pain in the ass,lol(FINALLY exaulted thismorn)
    Last edited by Riz; 03-23-2011 at 12:33 PM.

trinket swap

I wasn't very clear last night when I wrote it. Hopefully better now. By trinket swap, I meant that you could swap it in before the boss fight for a melee heavy fight, especially one where the boss periodically resets its threat. Hitting the 1605 strength will generate a lot of threat, a sort of "come hit me first" button. Like Marrowgar (first boss ICC for example). But I agree the broken mirrors is the only one that I keep on all the time. But then I usually carry around 3-4 trinkets depending on the fight. e.g. Heroic Leaden Despair, heroic Throngus finger, Heroic Impetious Query. There is a trinket for every occasion.

So to summarize, trinket swap before the fight and mix your trinkets based on what you need. Stamina heavy for magic fights, Dodge/Parry/Mast for Melee fights. Other trinkets based on the fight mechanics like threat reset.

I was probably thinking of the lack of shared cooldowns for trinkets. I stand corrected!

I wasn't very clear last night when I wrote it. Hopefully better now. By trinket swap, I meant that you could swap it in before the boss fight for a melee heavy fight, especially one where the boss periodically resets its threat. Hitting the 1605 strength will generate a lot of threat, a sort of "come hit me first" button.
    Do you mean use something other than taunt / heroic throw / charge+shield slam / thunderclap / shockwave / demoralizing shout for warriors, taunt / righteous defense / avenger's shield / judgement and more abilities for pallies, taunt / feral charge / feral faerie fire / demoralizing roar for bears, and taunt / death coil / blood boil / icy touch / death grip and more for deathknights?

I personally never use threat trinkets for any reason while tanking. Unless I completely overgear the place (which hasn't happened in cata yet considering I'm still ilvl 355), I never use anything but tanking gear. I don't see the need for a trinket with a str proc to gain agro back on a reseting boss. Think Glubtok (or whatever his name is in Deadmines). When he resets, my taunt is ready. Someone most likely already has agro from rolling hots, rolling dots, heals that land right when he resets, melee or ranged attacks or spells that land right when he resets, or just some kind of splash dmg. If no one does have agro for my taunt to pull from, I still get it with taunt, but I also have many MANY other tools at my disposal for getting a boss to hate me again.
    Now, with that same boss but the tanking version of the TB trinket, you get the same mastery and you get the spell resists. That means less damage taken by the fire line if you get hit by it, the falling ice balls, the falling fire balls, and his spells that he casts, just depending on when you use the thing. Unless a pally is there, using aura mastery on his/her resistance aura, you're not going to get a lot of magic reduction but you have plenty of tools to gain back the agro on the boss again.

I wasn't very clear last night when I wrote it. Hopefully better now. By trinket swap, I meant that you could swap it in before the boss fight for a melee heavy fight, especially one where the boss periodically resets its threat. Hitting the 1605 strength will generate a lot of threat, a sort of "come hit me first" button. Like Marrowgar (first boss ICC for example).
    Just curious, what bosses reset threat? I can think of... none that do, not to mention these bosses that "reset threat" are more than very extremely likely to not be immune to taunt, especially since, ever since Cata (and most of Wrath) no boss is immune to taunt. In fact, the only mobs that I can think of that are immune to taunt are P2 Maloriak adds.
    To all the Tanks that gem Stamina: "It's not the magic attack that kills you, it's the physical attack before and after."

may want to add this to the list of rings:

Entwined Nereis
    Heroic
    Binds when picked up
    Unique-Equipped Finger
    +128 Strength
    +253 Stamina
    Requires Level 85
    Item Level 346
    Equip: Increases your dodge rating by 167 (0.95% @ L85).
    Equip: Increases your hit rating by 86 (0.72% @ L85).

Dropped by Lady Naz'jir, Throne of the Tides (Heroic)

+ Reply to Thread