+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2-4 Fps In 25 mans

2-4 Fps In 25 mans

This has been an ongoing problem, but not nearly as bad as recently. Last night during Nefarian I ran all my settings on low, but still was picking up 2-4 fps the whole fight. It was still possible to raid but very hard to channel my mind flays, cast my dots, and still do good dps.

I have a Vista that is only a few months old, It is never slow when I am doing things other than playing wow. I am ready to quit raiding for good if I cant solve this problem. The difference between 2 fps and 5 fps is huge, if i could even get it to that I could probably live with it.

Please if you can tell me the cause of the problem most likely, and how i can fix it.

Would be an easier decision if you listed your hardware mate, then people will most certainly give more advice

pc upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Nineburg View Post
    This has been an ongoing problem, but not nearly as bad as recently. Last night during Nefarian I ran all my settings on low, but still was picking up 2-4 fps the whole fight. It was still possible to raid but very hard to channel my mind flays, cast my dots, and still do good dps.

I have a Vista that is only a few months old, It is never slow when I am doing things other than playing wow. I am ready to quit raiding for good if I cant solve this problem. The difference between 2 fps and 5 fps is huge, if i could even get it to that I could probably live with it.

Please if you can tell me the cause of the problem most likely, and how i can fix it.

I would need your model number of your pc at least to help with this. but as a rule of thumb you can bring most, not all most computers to 60 fps if you know what to get.
    the fact your saying is fairly new, and your getting 2-5 fps in 25 mans (you are probably getting 10-15 at most in not so busy areas by my past experiance) means your on integrated graphics. That is the biggest no no if you are playing WoW.

you just don't go out to local pc store and buy the biggest baddest card out there. if you do your spending about extra $150. WoW is a older game so it doesn't require the biggest and baddest card. If you look at a pc chart for graphics cards like this 3Dbenchmark 06 V1.1.0 chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2....1.0,2484.html
    If you are looking for 60 fps on medium settings, you need 7,000 score
    If you are looking for 60 fps on high settings, you need 8,000 score
    You will get 40-50 fps if you use a 7,000 score card on high settings

Now your thinking your going to empty your wallet for this stuff, again not really. I priced checked today 3/30 and the Radeon 5550 were going for $40-$60 which the $40 was a steal. However if you are running a major brand pc odds are your power supply is not going to be able to do crap

You need to test and see how much power you need for your computer. look at a power supply calculator like this one:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Odds are you will get 200-400 watts after you calculate. You are probably running a 300 or 350 watt (if your lucky) power supply. Your saying I am running 250 watts and i have a 300 I am fine. No your not. That 300 is what it is rated for at max, the 250 is what you will typically be running. You get into some really intensive fights you have to use more power for your parts, your power supply will probably die and you will have no more computer. That and the ones the manufactures put in are cheap and not very reliable. They buy them since they are cheap and the odds of them dying within the typical 1 year warranty most companies give are small if you don't put in the "big guns."

Odds are you are looking at a new power supply unit (PSU). Its not so much as looking to see which item has the numbers you need, you also need to know the brand is reliable, which has the right connectors for your computer and new card. For reliable brands I personally use this list:
    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
    As you see there are many different things, so sit down and look at brands and models. For figuring out if its compatible, talk to a tech person or ask here I will be happy to answer.

As for those who are on laptops, you really cannot upgrade them (well some can but costs about as much as a new cheap laptop, not guaranteed to work). Instead check for the 3Dbenchmark 06 V1.1.0 score before you buy. Odds are you won't find it at any local store and you will have to custom order it. I know I did on my laptop.

Also I buy most of my hardware at www.newegg.com, I am not endorsing them but that is a site i use

Had 2 fps at Valiona 25 last night (at the begining of the fight). Also on Fire phase of Maloriak 25 and especially on Green phase. Dreaming about 5 fps too . My 2 cents just to show that the problem exists.

What's your average fps in other areas like Stormwind/Orgrimmar?

In general this things can greatly increase your performance of wow:
    -disable wow sound
    -no windowed mode
    -graphics settings all on 'low'*
    -lower your display mode
    -rethink about your used addons

* if you can't see any fire increase particle density step by step until you can see it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Nineburg View Post
    I have a Vista [...]
    Win 7 could also increase your overall performance.

About upgrading:
    I've seen people raiding cataclysm 10 man heroic raids on a single core laptop with 1.7 ghz, WoW doesn't need any super engine to run unless you want setting on ultra and playing on your 60" plasma tv. Do you mind listing your system?

I've been having similar problems with fps. I usually have anywhere from 40-100 fps in Orgrimmar, but when in 25m raids my fps drops significantly. In raids, my fps can go anywhere from 8-40 fps. I recently benchmarked my system on 3dmark11 and it feels kind of low. I've attached the 3dmark benchmark below which includes my system specs.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/949046

Are you running Carbonite? I noticed that when I had it loaded and jumped into an dungeon or raid my FPS would crash, from 65 to 2, but without it, it runs fine.

No, I'm not running Carbonite. I've disabled most of my addons leaving only Pitbull, Dominos and Grid up for raiding purposes with no improvement.

+ Reply to Thread