+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: All classes should be changed to hybrids (and how to do it)

Firstly, I never said "never", I stated unless there was an economic reason to do it, Blizzard is not going to do something that would cut down on a time sink. Leveling is a time sink, no matter or why players do it's a time sink. I never said it would cut down on people playing alts, I said it would dispense with a time sink of leveling an alt and that it's not in the economic interests of Blizzard to dispense with time sinks without a good reason and player QQ is usually stated to not be a reason.

I have no clue what FUD means, it appears to be a form of insult; so be it.

I'm a proponent of trimming the LFD q's, as I feel it's 4x harder for MDPS or Ranged who want DPS roles, get in a group and it falls apart after the first pull.

But, at the same time there are some simple facts to consider.

1 - Roll a class that can tank ... THEN LEARN TO TANK ( don't just roll in PROT and Q Heroics )

2 - Join a lvl guild or RAID Guild and chain heroics that way

3 - Broadcast in chat LF Tank ( maybe even throw some gold ) to make a group

4 - Make friends and Q up on your server forums

5 - Accept the fact you're going to wait 30+ minutes for a random.

Point being, there are 3 easy ways to speed up your Q times. 1 Hard way and 1 way that makes you accept the way it is.

In terms of why there aren't more tanks, as someone above said, right now it's not faceroll. I still get pugs who have never seen a fight. I will admit that I thank god for guild repair, but at the same time it makes a success pug all the more enjoyable ( like a sense of accomplishment ). Right now, gear doesn't allow for it and requires skill and competence by all party members.

As for the hybrid, in the end it may not matter. A shi*ty tank is a shi*ty tank. Just because the gorilla can tank a boss, doesn't mean that adding more of them will solve it.

Yes, the wait time would decrease, but the fact that they may pull, suck and leave won't go away. Now you have to wait for another tank to Q and hope he's got a head on his shoulders. Rinse and repeat.

Late to the party but I am really liking the OP's idea. For me these new roles would have to "feel" completely different from how they are currently being done. Ie the rogue tanking needs to feel totally different from the other tanking classes. Mages and warlocks that might heal through dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Firstly, I never said "never", I stated unless there was an economic reason to do it, Blizzard is not going to do something that would cut down on a time sink. Leveling is a time sink, no matter or why players do it's a time sink. I never said it would cut down on people playing alts, I said it would dispense with a time sink of leveling an alt and that it's not in the economic interests of Blizzard to dispense with time sinks without a good reason and player QQ is usually stated to not be a reason.

I have no clue what FUD means, it appears to be a form of insult; so be it.
    FUD is a fairly long-standing tech terminology meaning 'fear, uncertainty, and doubt'--when something is argued against not on its merits, but on the fear and speculation that Bad Things will happen if you do it, regardless of there being a lack of information to support those conclusions. It's a very standard tactic in regard to technology uptake, generally used by market-leaders to scare people into not using alternatives.

Either way, Predakhan's point is very much similar to my own--I think it's a very interesting concept because the style of the classes being mentioned would lend for a very different 'take' on familiar roles. Instead of recycling Yet Another DPS Proc-Watching Rotation for their 3rd DPS spec, Blizzard could stretch a bit and make some truly unique sub-specs.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

This horse appears to be dead; time to put the whip away.

I've posted the idea on the European General forum, without the LFD point. The LFD issue was never my core issue and I think it distracted the discussion quite a bit.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...69484?page=1#1

In the pursuit of generating the largest amount of value for the largest amount of customers, you have to ask; does the marginal benefit of making every class a hybrid really outweigh the marginal cost of doing so? Blizzard has to allocate their capital and labor in the areas of production that maximize value and I am not convinced that a another complete redesign and balancing of classes with the objective of reducing LFD ques is really what I want my subscription fees to be financing.

The only true hybrid classes in the game are druids and paladins, people don't seem to understand what exactly a hybrid is in this game. They treat warriors and death knights like hybrids because they can fill two roles, but paladins and druids can do all 3 roles and these days Feral and Moonkin are pretty lousy roles compared to other classes who can fill those slots. Damage specs are sufficient where they are, and it would be a bane to make them all the complete #1 damage dealers just because they can't do anything else. Putting Paladins, Druids, Death Knights, Shamans and Warriors below Hunters, Mages, Rogues and Warlocks would cause a severe imbalance in the PvP aspect of the game, and cause people to reroll those classes just to be capable of being the only true damage specs in the game.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

+ Reply to Thread