+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mangle macro question

Mangle macro question

So I've been trying to clean up my UI with mod macros and to leave certain hot keys open in different situations (ie, stealth, different stances).

I would like to create a macro for mangle that turns into rake when i hit shift and it seems i can't get the script for mangle correct even though it seems to be exactly what other people seem to be using.
    here it is:
    /cast [mod:shift] rake; mangle (cat) ()

Not sure if the stance:3 command is necessary but shouldn't hurt it. And the shift rake command works fine.
    And i was also wondering if anyone else has been unable to use the "mod:alt" or "mod:control" commands, they don't seem to work for me.

/cast [mod:ctrl] prowl; [mod:alt] claw; [mod:shift] rake; mangle;

http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro

well the alt and control mod seemed to start working for me after i just downloaded domino, which is amazing.
    But the script for mangle just doesn't work with just "mangle"

Regarding other modifiers not working for you.

There is only one reason why modifiers in a macro will not work, and that is if the combination of modifiers and the keybinding the macro is assigned to matches another keybinding. Keybindings resolve first...

For example lets say you make a macro that has a shift modifier in it like this.
    /cast [mod:shift] Insect Swarm; Moonfire
    And you place it on the 5th slot of your first action bar (keybinding 5). Assuming you did not alter any keybindings the game came with by default, Shift+5 is the keybinding to change your action bar page to the 5th action bar. Since keybindings resolve first, if you were to attempt to do Shift+5 it would result in executing the keybound action of toggling your action bar page, not the modifier action in the macro.

Short of improper macro syntax, this is the only way a modifier in a macro will actually fail, or rather be short circuited because something else intercepted that keybinding. Only unassigned keybindings can be used as macro modifiers, which is why it is best practice to use separate keybindings whenever possible instead of macro modifier. In your case, there is no reason you couldn't have Mangle on say the "5" keybinding and Rake on a different action button keybound to "Alt+5" or some other combination. Keybindings is the prefered approach here since keybindings take precedence over macro modifiers (see my blog post which mentions good and bad uses of macro modifiers).

Even if you yourself don't have keybindings set up which may be intercepting it, the addons you use could alter your keybindings as well (particularly action bar addons). Which may explain why another action bar addon, Dominos, was supposedly able to fix the issue for you.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

As for your specific macro, here is the correct form of handling ambiguous abilities which are available in both cat and bear form.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:alt] Rake; Mangle(Cat Form)
    Not that I would recommend this approach. It is still recommended that you use key bindings to accomplish what you are doing here as this isn't a good use of modifiers in a macro. The same thing can be accomplished with key binds, and key binds take precedence, so key binds is the preferred approach.

You can actually specify the form it requires on all feral abilities, however, it is only necessary on abilities which have another ability of the same name in a different form. For example, the actual ability name "Rake" is really "Rake(Cat Form)" however since there is only one Rake ability you have you can drop the Cat Form description. If you were to Shift+Click the spell directly out of your spellbook into the macro editor, they would always include their form.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 02-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thanks for the detailed response as to my mod macro issues, Quinafoi. And now that i think about it, you're probably the use mods in my macros, especially since now i have the domino add on downloaded and space is no longer an issue at all. And as using mod macros for mostly targeting seems to be much better use.
    Again, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread