Thread: Heroic Grand Vizier Ertan (post 4.06)

Heroic Grand Vizier Ertan (post 4.06)

Can anyone throw any light on this chap?

I understand that post-patch, you back off as the cyclones come in (and do not touch them).

But there seems to be more too it than that, as we were taking very high raid damage while outside of the cyclone shields. Looking at the death logs, there seemed 3 kinds of damage - lightning bolts, cyclone shields and a third I did not understand - something like "edge of the storm" damage. The latter seemed too hard to heal through and left us thinking we were missing some key fight mechanic.

Any ideas?

If you are not looking at the Lurking NPCs around the outside edge during the fight, they will nuke you in addition to the damage you take from the Boss himself.

If you look in their direction, and stack up during the shield retraction, you should be able to heal through it. It is quite a bit of damage, but not unmanageable. Heals like Healing Rain, Efflorescence and the like help.

I believe that does answer his question (the lurkers) but I believe that post patch you cannot stack up as the boss knocks you back. haven't run him post patch yet but I believe that was in the patch notes

Here's how I do it...

There is a circle on the ground around the boss... several actually. Simply step back to the first circle (roughly 15 yard radius, this circle is far enough away to not take damage from the tornadoes) during that phase. Don't get hit by the tornadoes as they do debuff your speed and it is a little more annoying to heal now if people are spread out and you have a debuff. Just ignore the adds. If melee wants to go deactivate them since during that phase they can't do sqaut go ahead but the adds don't make a big difference on the fight regardless.

So in summary, this fight now has been upgraded from:

You put your right foot in, and keep it in.

To:

You put your right foot in.
    You put your right foot out.
    You put your right foot in and you shake it all about.
    You do the hokey pokey and you collect your easy loot.
    That's what its all about.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

To:

You put your right foot in.
    You put your right foot out.
    You put your right foot in and you shake it all about.
    You do the hokey pokey and you collect your easy loot.
    That's what its all about.
    perfectly said i did this on my pally the other night and it was really easy damage didnt seem that bad long as people didnt get hit by tornado's

Thanks for the replies. I will pay more attention to the lurkers, but I don't think they were the problem.

I think the problem was just that we did not expect the heavy AOE damage when the shield retracts. We thought we were missing some mechanic that would have avoided or mitigated it. However, pre-patch, I had regarded it as healer test to heal through that stage so really nothing has changed. It's just that now the hugging up and healing through should take place outside of the shield rather than ontop of the boss.

EDIT: Ran it for the second time and it seemed more managable. It was a PUG, so people did not stack up outside the shields for AOE heals and two died. But it seemed very doable. It has gone from being the easiest to the hardest boss in the instance though. (In that regard, the dragon seems to have switched places with it.)
    Last edited by theodisius; 02-17-2011 at 02:59 AM.