+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire mage alt help needed

Fire mage alt help needed

Toon - Sifublast
    Realm - Jaedenar

This is an alt who hasn't gotten the love I'd like. Dang 1-3 hr heroics....

Having said that, on the dummies yesterday I was getting anywhere from 6500-8k dps. I was working on keeping all dots up and testing with different mage armors and spam strikes (i.e. Scortch Spam, fireball, frostfire bolt).

Each test was for a full mana pool with no evocate, cds or mana gems.

My problem is, the 8k is the peak I had and not consistently repeatable. Granted, I had to manually cast a lot of Pyroblasts due to a lack of procs. With where his gear is, even though it's not great, I seem to be leaving a lot of dps on the table.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just wanted to check back and see if there is anyone who can help.

OK, I'm not the ultimate expert, but here are some rules of thumb. (most of my experience is in PVE.) Also, I’m a casual player and there are much more detail oriented people who can nitpick this to death, so please don’t think this is perfect.

Step 1) Download Combustion Helper, and practice maximizing your Combustion in your rotation. It's really important to make the most of impact, ignite and try to figure out how to activate more hot streaks.

Single Mob
    Start rotation (if you have time, hardcast Pyroblast (if not, then scorch or FB to get ignite & debuff going) > Living Bomb > Combustion (only when it's ready. If not, then fish for it with another FB or Scorch until Ignite is at full) >Flame Orb > Mirror Image Then back to FB/Scorch
    (I use MI right after combustion whenever possible to keep aggro down)

Priority 1 is to never stop casting
    Priority 2 is to get the most out of combustion
    Priority 3 is to keep LB up at all times
    Priority 4 is to use the hot streak procs quickly

If mana gets low, forget about Fireball, use Scorch instead (0 mana), still keep up with LB and the hotstreaks. Use Flame Orb and Mirror images whenever they are available.

Multiple Mobs/AoE
    Scenario A - Mobs who will die fast - Blastwave (whenever it's up) > Flamestrike..repeat
    Scenario B - Mobs who last more than 15 seconds - LB one, Blastwave for impact proc, then hit 2 more mobs with LB, then FS until LB's explode (combustion if it's available.) >repeat

Moving when fighting - BONUS
    Almost all of the fire rotation can be cast on the run. The only hard exception is Fireball. When fighting on the move, i usually spam Scorch & refresh LB until something else Hot Streaks. It’s really effective to cast AoE spells on the run for certain fights as well.

Really appreciate the feedback. It's nice to hear the things I am doing are the same as others. Got him into Grimm batol the other day. Boss dps was 13k, 11k, 10k and 8k. This is better than I am averaging on dummies so maybe 5 man / raid buffs are the key or maybe there is a benefit to "doing it live" as far as procs. I had dry spells but overall more procs than usual on the dummies. Maybe it was just a good day.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Dont forget that you'll get a 15% luck of the draw buff in random dungeons.
    For the moment I'd recommend to drop hit to 6%, which is the hit cap for lvl87 mobs (heroic 5man bosses). That'd free a lot stats so you can put them into crit, haste or mastery. Mana shouldn't be a problem for fire mages now, so the rotation is just keep living bomb up and spam fireball and pyro when you have hot streak. You should use glyph of fireball instead of glyph of living bomb.

That's for the glyph tip.

Just some feedback, when I said I got him in I meant guild group. My main is a prot pally with a holy os I am trying to ditch. I also have a prot warrior and resto Druid. My chances to dps are few and far between.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Then it's buffs and Molten Fury I guess.

+ Reply to Thread