Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for H Chimearon

Suggestion for H Chimearon

Good afternoon guys,

I was looking for some advices about the strategy on chimearon, I will post WoL if required but I do not think it is necesssary since it seems to be more of an execution problem. 1 think to take note, this is 10man and we have 4 DPS with 16-19k DPS plus 1 new recruit of 13,5k DPS

Now, phase 1 goes well execpt for the usual bad crap that can happen on this fight the main issue is the enrage phase after 22%.

Some of our transitions were almost perfect, everybody topped off, including lay on hands on the Main tank but we always get him around 3.5%. It is still huge to go, and I am starting to think we just dont have the right composition for it.

During p2, I start tanking I go to the extreme corner, and pop shield wall everything execpt Last Stand, I survive 3 shots go at 1 hp, pop Last stand, take another shot, die.

Paladin tank is waiting at the complete other corner of the room, he bop, it goes to the mage who was near me, he iceblocks, Chimearon goes back to the paladin tank, he dies (4 stacks) goes to the mage, he gets bop, goes to the hunter, he feigns death, goes to the mage, Mirror image if not already used. then Chimearon kills the rest 1 by 1.

Raid Comp :

Warrior (Tank)
    Paladin (Tank)
    Hunter ((MM)
    Mage (Fire)
    Druid (Fearal)
    Shaman (Elemental)
    Deathknight (Unholy)
    Paladin (Holy)
    Shaman (Resto)
    Druid (Resto)

We are thinking of replacing the DK by a shadow priest with dissipate and ill intervene the fearal druid to make sure he does not pull agro from the range who play ping pong. Do you guys want to suggest anything elsee ?

I never really found the ping pong tactic to be too effective, his hit range is pretty huge so its best to just spread out like normal and just burn. When we got close to transitioning him I would taunt, and then the paladin would taunt off me so it'd be on the paladin first. I'd then throw up shattering throw and go back and build threat. The reason we did this was so Chimaeron would take his time chomping on the tanks first. Paladin would tank until he got sub 10k then pop ardent defender and get healed up for another hit. (Yes Ardent Defender heal works during that phase.)

Chim would then come to me and I'd use my cooldowns to live long as possible, when I got knocked low I'd last stand to get another hit in. Then he'd go to the frost DK, frost DK died, would get battle rezzed (he used AMS to be able to take another hit when he got low.) Chim then went to mage, mage hit mirror image, chim wasted 3 hits killing his images then went to rogue who popped evasion, and then rogue tanked em til death (Though by this point Chimaeron was already sub 5% health and soon dead afterward.) The key is to keep as many people alive possible as long as possible while DPSing. So personally I found that iceblocks and feign deaths were not effective simply because it takes away from DPS time and you needa kill em before the dot gets you low.

The ping pong stuff indeed doesn't work as good as you hope, at least on 10. I suspect it is worth trying on 25 since you have so many people you can bounce him between but for 10, forget about it. It's much more efficient having tanks run their cd's in proper orders in order to stay alive for as long as possible. We've noticed that if at least 2 of our 3 tanks and 1 rogue can get hold him for a full 10 sec each, then that's enough for us to bring him down.

Also, the patch should make it a lil' bit easier. He now tends to do Feuds a lot less random (every other Massacre for us last time) which you can plan better around and Mortality always starts at 20% which again helps planning.

Mortality always starts at 20% which again helps planning.
    are you sure about this information, I cannot find it anywhere, anybody can confirm this or find me a source ?

And thank you for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Narph View Post
    I will post WoL if required but I do not think it is necesssary since it seems to be more of an execution problem.
    This fight is not about executing an intervene/blessing of protection/mirror image/evasion/... strategy properly it's about pushing insane dps when he hits mortality and a lot of luck to be fair. RNG is your friend, an avoidance streak nets you first kills like a fury parry'ing three times in a row.. that's 20s of bought time.

I just checked, we needed 273k rdps during the execution phase (25s) for roughly 90s. Every healer pushed 3k himself, every dps managed 17k on average.

And just checked, some friends pushed 125k rdps for 10s, every dps at rougly 22k on average during the execution phase.

Regarding mortality:
    They just changed it to start at 20% all the time, not at sometimes 21.7% pre 4.0.6, see patch notes.
    Last edited by klausi; 02-11-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Also, I just thought about that. What kind of DPS is gained from taking a potion of strg/spell power etc, because using shadow resist pots seems like a beautiful idea. Since, his swing timer is 6 second with thunderclap, if everyone in the raid uses a shadow pot, when they are the next target, they all can take an extra swing, (+6 sec per raiders) which means you saving a LOT of time from death, no ?

Shadow ticks for 2.000 every second and potion only absorbs 6.000 damage. So it's really only an interesting idea but won't work in practice - despite syncing a dps potion with heroism is way easier to handle then chugging that potion right before the swing would kill you, watching Omen etc.

Do you use 2 pure tanks + 1 dummy tank on 10man or just go with 1 pure tank and 1 dummy tank?

I'd imagine phase 3 would be far easier with 6 dps(bout 140k+ raid dps easily), however getting there can be RNG thanks to only having 1 dedicated tank.

We've just been using 2 reg tanks the whole time.

Tank 1 MT boss takes Break until first feud.
    Tank 2 takes double strikes until first feud.
    Tank 1 stacks with the group to absorb splash damage during feud.
    Tank 2 tanks during feud, pop a 50% reduction as soon as double strike goes up, then MT on boss taking breaks during next reg phase.
    Tank 1 takes double strikes for next reg phase, but on the first one, he will have 4 stacks of break still and needs to pop a small CD (a 20% CD seems to work fine).
    Tank 1 takes next Feud doing the same as above
    Repeat.

Our DPS was good so we opted for 3 tanks (warr, dk, druid) to get rid of as much RNG as possible.

We have come up with several adjustments that improve our consistency in the last phase:

- Position of OT and MT is key.
    - Pushing Break tank (DPS DK) down on threat with Intervenes & Salv's ensures that Chi will go to OT before him
    - BOP on MT just before killing blow, that is removed just before Chi runs all the way across the room to OT forcing him to run back to MT
    - Rogue with evasion, spriest with dispersion and fade, hunter with feign, mage with mirrors and ice block, etc...
    - Do what you can to move your healers over your DPS in threat
    - Brez the first DPS to die

You can see this fairly well executed in our video from one of our kills:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZWyI8GnRI
    Grymauch, Dwarf Warrior, From Chaos: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rymauch/simple

Power Word Shield is the best way to improve your burn phase. We just started heroic chim in 10 but in the main raid the difference that having 2 disc priests made for the final phase was unbelievable. Each disc priest pretty much nullifies the effect of the shadow aura on 5-6 people and can give a nice boon to the tank via Power Word Barrier to help him last a bit longer too.

It buys you more time than anything else you could hope for (aside from having a perfect transition, which you need too).

Thank you, Killed him

We brought a rogue instead of the elemental shaman.

Haha yeah, we always made sure our rogue never vanished his threat away to make sure he was 3rd on threat, him evasion tanking after tanks died got us the kill with 8 people still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvaria View Post
    We've just been using 2 reg tanks the whole time.

Tank 1 MT boss takes Break until first feud.
    Tank 2 takes double strikes until first feud.
    Tank 1 stacks with the group to absorb splash damage during feud.
    Tank 2 tanks during feud, pop a 50% reduction as soon as double strike goes up, then MT on boss taking breaks during next reg phase.
    Tank 1 takes double strikes for next reg phase, but on the first one, he will have 4 stacks of break still and needs to pop a small CD (a 20% CD seems to work fine).
    Tank 1 takes next Feud doing the same as above
    Repeat.
    This works really well for us as well, there is some issues with tank dying due to the 4 stacks of break and taking double strike, but I was wondering if any1 of you actually tried (as a protection warrior with 1 stack after the fued) intervening main tank (with 4 stacks) so first attack from double strike will be taken by warrior and second by the other tank. Just thought of this now but never tried that, seems like a great idea that would get rid of RNG while having only 2 tanks.
    Last edited by Crius; 02-18-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Nop, dont ever do it, the 2 attacks are so fast together that if you intervene, you take both hits as one, and even during phase 1, it will kill you.

In fact, I've tried that. Inervene didn't intercept any melee hits from double strike, BUT it gave 30% dmg reduction with safeguard to the main tank, therefore the hits barely took him down below 50%

In that case it's a great tool to use on the tank that has to take first double strike after the fued having 4 stacks of break. Intervene will reduce the dmg by 30% and there is no side effects.

Just use a /cancelaura Intervene macro

Quote Originally Posted by Narph View Post
    Nop, dont ever do it, the 2 attacks are so fast together that if you intervene, you take both hits as one, and even during phase 1, it will kill you.
    That's just simply false.

Unfortunately, I do not have the WoL to prove it, but here is a link to the post ive made on the blizzard forums a bit ago

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1648730750

Maybe it got stealth fix in the meantime.