+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disc Priest Solo-Healing BH

Disc Priest Solo-Healing BH

Not sure this is exactly where this topic goes. I'm not even really sure what to make of this. I'm looking for comments, and whether or not you guys forsee Disc getting nerfed back down a bit in the near future. That's sort of what I'm seeing from people griping over on the Blizzard forums.

Here's the log, and then an explanation:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...e/?s=338&e=565

Last night, though, after getting a few new glyphs, etc, I ran a 10 man Baradin Hold with several guild members. After muttering to myself as I healed that the other healer should really be helping out with dispels and I had to pop my mana regen CDs, we took ol Argy down.

Then the raid members started congratulating me on solo-healing. I pretty much did a -_- I was under the impression that I was healing with a guild druid who usually far surpasses me in heals.

Is this not something I should be surprised at? Have 10-man Baradin Holds been getting solo-healed for quite awhile now? I'm not even a very great healer, as several people can probably tell by my parse.

We usually 2-3 heal BH25. It's not a healing intense fight.

I'm pretty sure people have been bouncing around the idea that BH-10 is solo-healable for some time now, it's not something just related to Disc being buffed.

I've never actually tried it, being that there's no great need for the extra DPS, but I can't see why it'd be terribly difficult.

I want to do this sometime:

1 disc priest
    8 dps
    1 BM hunter with a tenacity pet.
    Kill him in under 2 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    I want to do this sometime:

1 disc priest
    8 dps
    1 BM hunter with a tenacity pet.
    Kill him in under 2 minutes

Jormungar is SO FAT that she tanked Argaloth.

Most of solo healing a fight like Argaloth is going to have to do with how the rest of the raid is executing, anyway. If people are playing like idiots and taking a lot of damage, the healer is going to look worse. If they're all avoiding as much damage as possible, the healer is gonna look awesome.

Ok guys, you've managed to really intimidate me now. We only ever do this on 25-man but we're usually four healers and I go oom EVERY time.

*goes to hide away and cry*

Then people are taking unnecessary damage and are not dispelling. Or chances are the other healers are bad and you are having to pick up the slack.

Neither, actually. We ARE dispelling, and these guys are awesome - far better than I am, for one thing.

I just think that it's a bit pretentious thinking that everyone can sail through the current content already. Congrats if you guys manage this and maybe it IS different on 10-man. But please don't assume people have no skill just cause they're not facerolling stuff 2 months into the expansion.

I wouldn't describe BH as "current content".

There are a lot of issues that could go into why you're going OOM - could be that dispels aren't going off in a timely fashion, could be people not stacking properly, could be people refusing to burn healthstones or click the Lightwell(s), could be your gear is awful and/or poorly itemized, could be you're overhealing too much or using the wrong heals in the wrong situations, etc etc.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but that's the way it is.

Actually what we found is that if you organize dispels it's better all around .. dispels can be expensive and if more than one person is dispelling it's a waste of mana. Have each person on dispels take a diff group. We have no problem with it but we tend to do it on ten man w 2 healers, each of us dispels a group, and yeah the group makes a huge difference. Haven't tried it in disc yet, hehe, maybe i should?

Thanks for the responses! Typically when we heal 10 BH, we have two healers, myself and a Resto Druid or Holy Paladin. I tried to convince our Holy Paladin to single heal it last night, but he wouldn't, haha. And he usually surpasses me greatly in raids.

When we've done 25 BH we usually have 5 healers, though that isn't as common, as we're a fairly small guild.

I was just surprised that I was able to do all the dispelling and all the healing solo and I was wondering if other classes have been doing this for awhile now, or if it was something fairly new. Maybe it's just new that lesser skilled players, like myself, are able to do it?

At any rate, thank you for the feedback!

I just ran this on my Disc Priest in a PUG. I was pre-shielding meteor slash and it was barely doing any dmg at all. I'm sure it's more than possible to do it but you would maybe want at least a little bit of raid gear or at the very least a solid amount of DPS.

and now its gone....

Well you wont be doing that any more after that nurf they just hit Disc priests with....

The only intense part of the fight is the dispelling, because it's quite expensive. However I've solo-dispelled an healed one group and both tanks in blues ad holy. It should not be a problem to solo heal as long as the dps is ok. I'm not sure if it would work with the solo-pet-tank. The problem is the stacking debuff. It's easy for a tank at first but if you stack it high it really starts to hurt. And I think it's hard to reposition the pet all the time, but well some hunters are just good with stuff like that.

One common trick I've seen most groups which solo heal it on 10 man use is to bring a Shadow Priest for the simple fact that having a DPS capable of cleansing the magic debuff lightens the load. The debuff is really the only problem with solo healing it because of the time spent not healing. Once the healer's throughput and efficiency are sufficient to reach those levels required to solo heal it, it isn't too difficult.

Most two healing groups will have about 16-18k healing done between the healers and the rest of the healing load distributed to other members (in particular tanks tend to have a decent amount of self healing). The healer only needs to be able to maintain about 15-17k HPS during the actual burning phases because the Firestorm phase people shouldn't be taking damage. Additionally, since you are in fact running with an extra DPS, the there is less time between Firestorm phases (shorter the fight the higher DPS and HPS numbers are because of front loaded throughput of cooldowns).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrian View Post
    Well you wont be doing that any more after that nurf they just hit Disc priests with....
    It's still solo healable by a disco with good gear ... the hardest part is honestly not the shield cost it's the dispel cost. It's a breeze if I have anyone else willing to dispel. 25 man I can *almost* stop all of the meteorslash myself AND handle dispels. Mana is very tight in 25 man though when trying this. Disco is still very ... VERY strong when used right. At the absolute highest end I believe holy can have more pure throughput but depending on your healing setup you can still get better yields with disco bubbles since when used right never overheal. It's nigh impossible for a holy to say the same thing.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

I think my mana problems came from me being on dispel duty, actually. I'm going to suggest doing the 10 man some time and letting our disc priest (I'm holy myself) try and solo-heal it

I am also a Disc priest. No i havent done a solo but I think I could with maybe just a extra mana pot. The way we do it is two groups equal out with each group having the same setup as a dungeon group. We set up on left and right corner as we go in and the tanks pass back and forth. I am usually healing my group fully and then dispelling both groups, I have never went OOM. I would actually try to heal it solo but the thought had never crossed my mind as we always have at least 2 heals ready to go. thanks for the suggestion I may try it this week and see how it goes.

I havent solo healed it as a priest but i have with my resto shammy. It is definately doable (probably by any class if they are geared) My sham iL was 353 at that time.

+ Reply to Thread