Thread: New Halfus HM strat?

New Halfus HM strat?

Hi all,

damn patch, yesterday we downed our first heroic 25 boss, Chimaeron, and today we were going to Halfus HM. We got 5 disc priest (our 2 holys, 1 disc and 2 shadows) and 5 tanks ( 3 main specc 2 offspecc). I was told that with that many discs the fight was not that difficult.

Now, I read in MMO the changes Halfus has received and I'm like, what?
    What disc provided at the start of the fight ( very good healing throught attonement), now it's not possible.

I think that, more than a nerf they have buffed it.
    You will need to free 3 drakes at the start, to counter Halfus buffs. You will neet to kill him in order to receive the dmg boost so the first 2 minutes will be hell.

Anyone has thought about a different aproach to this fight, with the new changes?
    Like free 2 drakes, probably the shadow nova drake and whelps, burn them down, free 2 more drakes, burn them down, free the last drake, burn him down, and focus boss...

I don't know but I'll need to think some strat fast or go to Conclave HM.

Thx in advance.

they made 25 less faceroll and 10 less ridiculous. The strat now is to kill 4 drakes properly and then kill halfus, the reduced damage and reduced health on the drakes apparently makes up for losing the ability to cheese disc priests.

Depends on how the incomeing dmg will be with the nerf, but I would go for releasing all but Slate dragon at start. Target them one by one, untill 55-52%, after a tank gets free release slate and just leave one or two dragons alive wile dpsing Halfus depending on how close you are getting to the enrage timer. However with the new dmg buffs it might be a good strat to just kill all dragons before going towards Halfus but that depends on how hard the hp nerfbat hit the dragons.
    Atonoment healing will not be so much of a use now since it will be OP only after first or second drake dies as the dmg buff is applied after drake death now, and we all know that the biggest issue was the incomeing dmg at the start for this encounter.

We got our first kill on 25 HM last night. With the changes we just had all our priests go in their normal healing specs, damage on the tanks is still very heavy but healable (we used 4 tanks, and poped everything but slate at the start). Raid damage seems very light, we had basically one healer on raid, the rest on tanks. We killed drakes one at a time while high AoE damage classes killed whelps. Once all 3 drakes and whelps were dead halfus had like 86% health but we easily burned him down to dead before the enrage with the 400% damage bonus. We never even touched slate.

Re: New Halfus HM strat?

Similar here, except 10 man: So 3 tanks, left 1 drake alive which we released, but didn't kill after the others were gone. Burn boss... Win.

(Sounds so much easier when you type it!)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

We used pretty much the same strat. 3 tanks and 8 healers, popped everything but Slate at start and burned down each drake down one at a time with whelps dying off during the second drake. After that its pretty much just burn Halfus. The fight is much easier after the drakes start dying and you get into p2 with no drakes up beating on tanks which makes the fight a cinch at that point.
    MT and GM of Relentless Onslaught of Zul'jin
    RelentlessOnslaught.enjin.com

We'd been doin HM 10 with 2 tanks and 3 healers (including a disc priest) with killing the whelps + 3 drakes and ignoring the last drake and were of the general consensus that the nerfs were so hard that we could solo tank it if it wasn't for the healing debuff.

Smite priests no longer needed either. In fact they are kinda pointless now since you don't get their best healing at the part where you need the most healing.

We're probably going to just do it with 3 tanks 3 healer 4 dps with the "free 4 drakes at once" strat, the insane cleaving of tanks and dps makes up for the loss of one DPS.

We 2 tanked/4 healed it last night and it was rather easy, 1 of each healer (holy priest, not disc). The shaman died early so we practically 3 healed it. Just don't expect halfus to be low when you go into last phase, but the bigger damage buffs compensate for it. We'll prob drop to 3 heals next time.

We tried Halfus first time yesterday in 10 man hc, the only thing we had a problem was a tankswitch on Halfus because of the healing debuff

So we popped all dragons expect slate. Me (feraltank) took halfus and 1 netherscion, Dk tank took welps + timedragon + stormdragon, so the first time i had about 10 stacks of the healing debuff i got an hand of protaction, to clean my debuffs. 2nd time i got 10 debuffs, the dk tank take halfus and the other dragon, with cds. In that time the 3rd dragon dies my debuffs ran out and i take halfus back.
    But we wiped. I have to say we just tried about 1 hour and had some wipes because of me forgetin to kick... *sillyme*
    Is halfus working this way, to kill him?

My approach pre Nerf was to have one tank take only Halfus and the other all the drakes. It was nearly healable (Yes, I meant to say that, we didn't kill him). The idea behind this was simple:
    - The healing debuffs stacks so insanely fast, that when they reach 10 it's actually harder to heal the Halfus-Tank (output-wise) than the one with 3 Dragons
    --> The result was, that even though the idea was correct, the damage spikes were barely healable on the one tank that took everything.

Now that the Drake damage seems to be halved, my idea should work out... I guess..

Halfus damage output is extremely high along with the debuff. I tank 3 cages at the same time and I was barely breaking a sweat, while our 2 tanks dedicated to only halfus(Ot takes 1 drake) was getting pounded and somewhat spiky on higher stacks.

Drakes only do 20k each by the way, whelps 2.5-3k. The enrage is also very light, 3tank/3heal/4dps with out primary aoer(mage) dead for one minute at the start, still got it.

We killed him last night for the first time (ten man) using 3 tanks, 3 healers and 4 dps. We released nether scion, storm and whelps on the pull. Burned down storm the n released time. Burned nether then released and help slate the rest of the fight.

Not sure if it the best way but when we tried releasing more drakes off the pull the healers couldn't keep the tanks up.

For those that are two tanking it in 10m, how are you handling the MS debuff? Halfus + 1 drake tank stacks until 10, BOP, and then when at 10 again switches to whatever is left alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post
    For those that are two tanking it in 10m, how are you handling the MS debuff? Halfus + 1 drake tank stacks until 10, BOP, and then when at 10 again switches to whatever is left alive?
    My guild cheeses it with 2 paladins. Our pally tank takes halfus at the start (using hunter->pet misdirect to buy us about 10 seconds of no stackage), while warrior tank (me) picks up storm, nether, and time. We burn storm first, when he's at about 30% pally tank resets his stacks, and continues tanking, while we kill storm, and get nether to about 75%. At that point, pally tank is at about 6/7 stacks, and we tank swap. I usually tank halfus + time for about 5 seconds to let healers work him up to full while he tanks nether. When I get to about 5 stacks, I start rolling CDs with my holy pallies (shield block -> shield wall -> hand of sac -> shield block). I usually hit 11 or 12 stacks before he is forced to bop me. Our pally then tanks halfus/time while i release whelps. AOE fest ensues with a focus on time warden. Whenever he gets 7 stacks or so I will taunt halfus back (time is usually near dead at this point). From that point on its just tank swappage, and hoping for a lagless mage.

I'm not exactly sure how we would do it with only 1 bop, it would definitely require tighter swaps, and possible some additional kiting-time craftiness to limit stacks.
    Last edited by Garganchewin; 02-22-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: fixt

bump, any new strats?

my guild just tried this after we cleared nef and i'm stumped. we're unsure of kill order and how many we should release at once, wand whether or not to 3 tank it.

any help much appreciated

We just use 3 tanks, and the MT taunts+bubbles to clear stacks so he can solo tank until the first drake is dead. One offtank grabs a drake and whelps, and we kill his Drake first, then he taunts Halfus, and we kill Drake #2 next with the whelps dying before the stacks get too high on the 2nd tank. We just leave the Slate Drake untouched, kill off everything else, then burn him down.

Just make sure that you tank everything near the entrance, and MD Halfus to your tank on the pull so that the Drakes are active to debuff Halfus and we can avoid the MT getting too many stacks while Halfus is buffed.

We just tried him last night for the first time (25man). Took us 6 attempts to get a kill. 4 tanks, 7 healers. We popped everything but slate at the beginning. Kill order is irrelevant, but the goal is to get drakes down ASAP (we went Time, storm, scion, whelps by attrition). We lusted as soon as everything was in position. Do not TRY to aoe, simply let splash kill the whelps.

The key to a smooth pull is trying to get that first Shadow Nova (it casts really fast but can be interrupted).

With 4 tanks, healing should only occasionally be an issue on the halfus tank. Be liberal with cooldowns and remind your healers that this is <6 min fight. So burn mana at the beginning to keep from losing a tank.

4 tanks, 7-8 healers, and the rest DPS are all you need. The strategy is relatively unchanged.

Tank A takes Nether Scion. Kill Nether Scion first.
    Tank B takes both the Whelps and the Time Warden. AoE the whelps second, kill the Time Warden third.
    Tank C starts with the boss and swaps with Tank D. Whoever isn't tanking Halfus should be tanking the Storm Dragon.

Do not let the Slate Dragon out. There's just no point.

Use Heroism early.