+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AVG Anti-Virus 2011 Trial nuked WOW

AVG Anti-Virus 2011 Trial nuked WOW

Anyone Familiar with AVG Anti-Virus 2011?
    I upgraded to the trial tonight and it said I had mal-ware and wanted to know if I wanted to vault it. I said yes.
    Next thing I know it vaulted the launcher for WOW (because of the Warden I'm assuming).
    Anyone know how to undo this?

Also what is a good free Anti-Virus?

I use the most recent avg with zero issue, that is weird. Uhmmm i also use Avast its free I've never had an issue with this one either.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-...ml?tag=mncol;3

here is the link too it. try it out.

managed to get it fixed.
    it was a combination of things. Me not paying 100% attention to AVG when it said there was mal-ware to see what it was, and then AVG not restoring it like it is supposed to do so. So ended up reinstalling wow >.<

I've had issues with AVG. In the form of false positives and it not allowing me to tell it to mind its own business in such cases. I ended up uninstalling it and then had to do a whole lot of registry cleaning to completely get it off my system. I hate software that insists it knows what i'm doing better than myself.

I greatly prefer avast.

I've just given up on on AVG for the same reason. I wasn't aware of its reputation for false positives and I didnt pay attention when it gave the warning and wound up having to re-install my WoW because it refused to restore it from the vault. I have since switched to the free Avast and ZoneAlarm Security's firewall (free as well) and have had no problems since.

If it only nuked the launcher, you CAN start the game without the launcher (I used to all the time) but you won't get patches until you're logged into the game. I'm sure you could download JUST the launcher though...

I don't like zone alarm because the last few times I have had it on my pc one of its core processes has started hogging huge amounts of processor time and I have had to deinstall in safe mode to be shut of it. I think I shall swap to the new microsoft essentials, I have heard some good reviews of it.

Avast is the way to go. Allows you to do a boot scan. This basically lets you scan your PC in DOS mode before Windows loads. This prevents viruses from replicating and jumping to an area you already scanned.

Its also free.

Combine Avast with Firefox as a web browser + No Script, add in Malwarebytes, and you have a solid protection plan.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Personally I don't run any protection when playing non web-page based games. If you don't end up surfing the internet while you're slaying bosses what use is it other than to slow your computer down?

I used to run AVG, but my computer got blocked a couple of times when I was trying to scan for viruses. I changed it recesntly to a lightest provider which is ZenOK free antivirus, so far I have no complains and my computer is not blocked anymore soo..you can find a lot more I guess.

+ Reply to Thread