+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talent Build and Gemming Question.

Talent Build and Gemming Question.

I fanially figuered at DK tank and have become quite good at it very quickly (Yay Me! lol) anyway I built my own custom tanking build which is working Great for Normal Cataclysm Dungeons, but not sure how it will hold up in Heroics or raiding, figured I'd ask the experts on thier opinions. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jchG0srrusdZMhM:Rz0czaMVm, also I have read and heard tht Stamina is no longer a main tanking Stat, so I was thinking about Socketing for Midigation, so what stat should I stack more woth Dodge or Parry?
    Last edited by AoD_Azrael; 02-08-2011 at 05:22 AM.

Your spec is almost identical to what I used for heroics-only, except that I took the third point from Scent of Blood (I read that 3/3 is only a marginal gain over 2/3) and used it to fill out Morbidity.

There are a lot of talents in there that really only apply to 5-mans - for example, Abomination's Might is the same thing as Unleashed Rage (Enh Sham) and Blessing of Might (any Paladin). So if that buff is already covered (and it usually is, be it a 10 or 25 man raid) then you're spending two talent points on 2% strength, not a good deal.

Likewise, Morbidity loses a lot of its luster on raid bosses. There isn't much for good talents outside the blood tree truth be told, but I see a lot of tanks going into Frost for Lichborne (which is being nerfed *sadface*) and possibly Endless Winter for free interrupts.

I will say that the Rune Strike glyph is amazing and you should have it no matter what. 10% crit on your main single-target threat generator is huge.

Talent Build:

The third point in Scent of Blood is unnecessary if you are using a two hander. Again, post a link to your armory so we know what you're working with. If you're dual-wielding that might help, but if you're DW, you should probably switch to using a two hander. Abom's might is only required if you need to bring that buff to your raid. Crimson Scourge is situational at best and with the patch is going to become even less attractive. Two points in Epidemic are sufficient to keep your diseases rolling on your targets - Morbidity is entirely dependent on what you like to do but provides very little in the way of survival or necessary threat. The points in Virulence depend on if you are required to interrupt, at which point we would also have to know what your hit is like (again, link to the armory). Come the patch, it won't be necessary. Points in Blood Tap are recommended so that you can keep your runes cooling down and flowing.

Glyphs:

All I can say is that your glyph of DS is probably wasted space if you're going for increased threat - the glyph for Rune Strike is superior. Obviously your DnD glyph is for your AoE threat.

There is a survival oriented spec that includes Lichborne as a tanking cooldown - you pair it with Death Coil and a Runic power dump to heal yourself - if you want to look into that. http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcGr0sMruszG0oZ0b
    You would need the Death Coil glyph (prime) for this spec.

There is no current consensus on whether to gem/enchant for avoidance (dodge/parry) or mastery (for your blood shield) but I would go with some combination that includes stamina regardless. It is up to you which feels more powerful for your survival.

I would ask you to acknowledge at the very least the other thread where two people have been posting to try and help you out - DeathsValor in particular posted a very good synopsis of both a DKs tanking abilities and overview of your threat mechanics. Because you've created another thread and suddenly have no problems tanking, personally I feel trolled... but if that isn't the case, I apologize.

EDIT: Checked just now, I've started downloading and installing a patch... or something like it. Pretty sure its patch day. So use that to your advantage.

EDIT2: @Sebadoh I don't think that the Lichborne spec is really getting all that large of a nerf... before it was probably just overpowered with the second glyph for Death Coil, and I don't believe it is going to be healing for substantially less with the patch. 10% of upwards of 30k is still around 30k heal.
    Last edited by Netheras; 02-08-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: checked stuff

This is the spec I use: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

The whole Lichborne, Death Coil self healing thing I find clunky. As said above there are really no great out of Blood tree talents that one just must have.

Quote Originally Posted by Netheras View Post
    @Sebadoh I don't think that the Lichborne spec is really getting all that large of a nerf... before it was probably just overpowered with the second glyph for Death Coil, and I don't believe it is going to be healing for substantially less with the patch. 10% of upwards of 30k is still around 30k heal.
    Oh I agree, it's still a solid choice even if you only have the RP for two or three heals over its duration.

I really like the Lichborne spec myself, I thought it would be difficult to master but after I tried it out it worked out really well. And my healer breathed a huge sigh of relief because she was sorta freakin out. I think it mostly depends on having the macro for it and knowing when you're gonna start taking huge amounts of damage (and having the runic power saved up for that).

EDIT: I actually have a power aura set up so that I know if it is still up... 10 seconds turns out to be a lot of time when you're frantically trying to stay alive haha

EDIT2: I always seem to find people on here from my server by accident. Sebadoh roll an alliance character =P I've got a few lowbie horde =D
    Last edited by Netheras; 02-08-2011 at 07:44 AM.

I was told about the Lichborne Macro also, I am considering it, since I was just told if I prove that i can get My tanking down and have good series of Successful Heroic runs with the guild I can get myself placed on the Secondary Tank list as a Back Up for the raids, which makes sense to me why have a back up tank if there is no real proof he/or She can do the job.

+ Reply to Thread