+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: League of Legends!

League of Legends!

Official site

Anyone playing this? I'm on US server. It's a free DotA game made by creators of Warcraft 3 DotA, so if you like War3 DotA, you should try it! Currently it has 60+ heroes to choose from, and new heroes are released every few weeks. I love that it can be play with my RL friends cooperatively, plus it is free, so easier for you to lure your friends to install it!

And if you are concerning about the graphic because it is free, I can reassure you that it is great.

Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEbPi89HZ0I
    (It says 40 heroes but actually the game has 60+ heroes now.)

Basic Settings
    RUNE:

You can buy different runes to enhance your champions in game.
    Steps:
    Login => click the tiny man icon on the top right corner => click "RUNE". You will be redirected to your rune page.
    There are three types of basic runes: red is offense, yellow is defense, blue is ability. Furthermore, you can buy special purple runes after level 10. Normally, it is advised to use runes of the types that correspond to their color (i.e. primary runes). For example, +armor penetration or +attack speed runes are some good choice for your red rune slots. (You also have yellow and blue +attack speed runes but their effectiveness are much lower than red +attack speed runes.) Nevertheless, a few champions are different and benefit from secondary runes. It is advised that new players should buy primary runes that are useful for many champions when you are still learning how to play. Once you has really picked your favorite champion(s), consult the corresponding champion guides for recommended runes.

You can only buy runes with influence point (IP). You gain IP every time you finish a game, whether win or loss.

Example:
    Ashe is a ranged champion dealing mainly physical damage. A possible set of runes is:
    Red = 9x Armor Penetration
    Yellow = 9x Mana Regeneration Per Level
    Blue = 9x Cooldown Reduction Per Level
    Purple = 3x Flat Health
    It is basically suitable for other physical mana-using champions as well.

SUMMONER SPELL
    You can choose two summoner spells no matter which champion you are playing. When picking the summoner spells, consider the characteristics of your champion and use the spells to cover up its weakness. For instance, many champions do not have ability to increase movement speed, so you can pick "Ghost" (increases movement speed for a short duration) or "Flash" (instantly moves your champion to target location); If your champion does not have good crowd control ability, you can use "Exhaust" (greatly reduces target enemy's movement speed for a short duration).

MASTERY
    Every time you level up, you gain one mastery point. Spend the mastery points to useful masteries to enhance your champions in game, pretty much like runes. If you learn the wrong masteries, simply right click to cancel, or click "Return Points" to return all the points. Similar to runes, there are three mastery trees: offense, defense and utility (ability). Most AD carries invest points into offense; tanks invest points into defense; casters and supports invest points into utility. The exact point distribution can be different for different champions, so please consult the relevant champion guides for details. Besides, each summoner spell has a corresponding mastery and it is usually advisable to spend one or two points to those masteries if possible.

Type of Champions
    Champions can roughly be classified as carry (i.e. dps), tank or support according to their stats and abilities. Some champions can play different roles according to how you build them.

Carry (also called dps):
    A carry is a champion that is capable of dealing massive damage and good at killing but usually fragile itself. Carry can be further classified as AD carry and AP carry.
    - AD carry: AD means "attack damage". A AD carry is a carry that deals physical damage mostly. Their autoattack can deal high damage. Many of them have abilities that improve the damage of their autoattack.
    Example: Ashe, Tristana, Master Yi, Shaco, Tryndamere
    - AP carry (also called caster): AP means ability power. A AP carry is a carry that deal magical damage mostly. They can cast several damaging abilities consecutively for massive magical damage. They usually have higher burst damage than AD carries. However, they usually down buildings much slower than AD carries because most abilities do not affect buildings.
    Example: Annie, Ryze, Fiddlesticks, Veigar, Anivia, Karthus
    Note: some champions can be played as AD or AP carry depending on the runes, masteries and items you used.
    Example: Ezreal, Teemo

Tank:
    A tank is a champion that has high health, armor and / or magic resist. Usually tanks also have abilities that reduce damage received or replenish health. Tank can be further classified as main tank or off-tank:
    - Main tank: they have very good survivability. If played well, they cannot be killed easily even when outnumbered. The weakness is they usually have much lower damage output than carries. Besides, they have good crowd control (CC) abilities and can save other squishy teammates from the enemy. Therefore, only a few champions can be qualified as main tank.
    Example: Rammus, Shen, Alistar, Amumu
    - Off-tank (also called fighter or tanky dps): they also have high survivability (although may not be as good as main tanks) but at the same time decent damage output. Many of them have dash or slow abilities as well. These make them capable of rushing into enemy formation to beat up their squishies. However, they lack the ability to protect other teammates.
    Example: Olaf, Xin Zhao, Warwick, Blitzcrank, Malphite, Dr Mundo, Poppy, Garen, Mordekaiser, Sion

Support:
    Some champions do not have as high damage output as carries, nor high survivability as tanks. Yet they are good at supporting teammates and rising the overall strength of the whole team. These are the supports. Supports can help by healing others, shielding others, or enhancing others' damage output, etc. They are usually disadvantaged when fighting 1 vs 1 (of course there are exception) but during team fight, they can have amazing effect on the performance of the team as a whole.
    Example: Sona, Janna, Soraka, Karma, Nidalee, Kayle, Sivir, Zilean

The above is only a rough classification. Some heroes can fulfill different roles depending on how you choose the runes, masteries, items and order of learning abilities.

5 vs 5 Team Combination

Before summoner level 10, everyone are newbies and learning, so just choose the champion you like and enjoy! After level 10, if you want to win more, team combination is one of the important things you need to learn. There are several ways to form good team. The most common type of team is the "balanced team". To form a good balanced team, you need to consider the followings:

1) Type of champion: A standard balanced team would include the following champions:
    Main tank x1
    Off tank x1
    AD carry x1
    AP carry x1
    Support x1

2) Type of damage: Try to make a balance between magical and physical damage of the whole team. This way, the opponents, especially their tanks will have difficulty choosing defensive gear. On the contrary, if you team damage output is mainly physical (or magical), once your opponents buy 1-2 armor gear (or magic resist gear), your team will be at a great disadvantage.

3) Crowd control, CC: At least 2-3 champions in your team should some CC, such as taunt, stun, root, slow, etc. This is very important during team fight to be able to CC your opponents, so that your team can focus fire on their squishies. When they are retreating, CC them to prevent them from escaping. On the other hand, when your team need to retreat, having good CC rises your chance to successfully escape.

The above is just some rules I believe are important when forming balanced team. This is by no mean the only way to form good team.

Here are two examples that roughly satisfy the above rules:
    Example 1: Rammus, Xin Zhao, Ashes, Ryze, Janna
    Example 2: Shen, Olaf, Tristana, Annie, Sona

If you usually play with friends, discuss among yourselves who should play which role beforehand. Besides, it is also recommended to buy and learn different types of champions, so that when you are solo queneing, or when a certain friend is not available, you can switch to a different role to fill the need of the team.

In practise, when solo queneing, very often you cannot form teams fullfilling all the above rules. It is ok if you only misses a support or off tank. However, if your team does not have a main tank, then at least have two off tanks in the team. Otherwise, your team will be too squishy. Expect instant death during team fight. Besides, as mentioned above, try to make sure your team not rely too heavily on physical or magical damage.

Last edited by Wakeman; 04-21-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Added some recommendation for building the "balanced team". (see above)

It is a fun game; however can be frustrating when you are solo and end up with a bad team.

I guess the same thing can be applied in WoW?

Yes, this can happen, just like any online games that you would encounter noobs / trolls time to time. Though it happens less frequently when you are higher level.

always preferred HoN over LoL, but both are fun.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

http://season-one-championship.na.leagueoflegends.com/

If you had watched Dreamhack matches, you may notice that the Euro teams used a new team setting:
    AP carry x2
    AD carry x1
    Support x1
    Tanky jungler x1

For average players, this team combination is probably too squishy. However, the top teams were so good at kiting that makes this team setting very strong.

I love that they call DPS carries. Apparently bad DPS is bad?

I am just now getting used to the game. I haven't even chosen a character I really like just yet.
    Jesus loves you seriously big time. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across the oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email

This game is addictive. Seriously, DAMN YOU CLOSE FRIENDS FOR SHOWING ME THIS GAME!
    Jesus loves you seriously big time. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across the oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email

League of legends was fun until i got tired of high level people steamrolling me while i was lvling up

but i dont know,the game i came from before i started playing league of legends and world of warcraft i used to do the same thing so its probably not right to complain lol

I just play the AI right now. The bots are fun as hell to play, and to level.

wait you can use the bots to level your summoner level? that's... strange.

or are you just talking about leveling your char in game.

I admit i like LoL somewhat for various reasons, but as a diehard dota fan, and later HoN fan, LoL leaves something lacking to me. And I'm with PimpJuice4 in that I don't like that people can have significant advantages over me because they played more than me or they spent more money than me. I don't play LoL to play a WoW-Arena like battle, i want even footing from beginning to end, which is what made hon/dota so awesome.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I am just now getting used to the game. I haven't even chosen a character I really like just yet.

Try different types of champion during their free week to find out which playing style suit you most. Then you can narrow down your choice.

For example, I am good at playing off-tank (especially jungler) but fail at squishy dps. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    wait you can use the bots to level your summoner level? that's... strange.

or are you just talking about leveling your char in game.
    He probably meant playing "co-op vs AI".

I admit i like LoL somewhat for various reasons, but as a diehard dota fan, and later HoN fan, LoL leaves something lacking to me. And I'm with PimpJuice4 in that I don't like that people can have significant advantages over me because they played more than me or they spent more money than me. I don't play LoL to play a WoW-Arena like battle, i want even footing from beginning to end, which is what made hon/dota so awesome.
    Why would you think people could spend money to get advantages? The only difference between people paying money and those not paying is the Skins, which have zero effect to the actual gameplay.

Like WoW, the developers of Riot had stated that they want both paying and non-paying players to be equally competitive, so they do not have any paid-only thing in the game that would affect the gameplay.

Technically you can gain an advantage by buying the heroes and using IP boosts, but getting totally runed out for your choice of stats isn't a HUGE advantage. The main gap is experience, playing a "smurf" account where you have thousands of games of experience, against people who have played 30-40 total gives you a large advantage. (But same is true of pretty much anything in the genre)

What level are you guys? I may just download it again since it was pretty fun.

I just hit level 10 yesterday, almost 11. Good builds at www.mobafire.com

I found my main 3 to play: Morgana, Veigar, or Talon

Im level 30 and have played way to many games.

+ Reply to Thread