Thread: OT adds as prot pal Magmaw

OT adds as prot pal Magmaw

I saw that a couple DK and even warrior do but I am not sure if a as prot pal we can do it? I means concecration could be a holyshit button for add but not an option since it cost a lot of mana ?

Avanger shield with the glyph can slowm 3 of em and I can get aggro from HOR and Holy wrath. I am pretty good at keeping aggro but the problem will be the dps. I will not be able to kill em all until the next pillar.

I wanted to look at that possibiliti because we have a DK but since his dps his better than mine as prot tank I would prefer that he stay on the boss.

Any advice?

Oh here our compo:

pal tank/off heal
    pal tank /off ret
    DK
    mage fire
    hunter
    shaman ele
    rogue

priest heal
    shaman heal
    druid heal

You dont even need to kill them, as long as you can slow and kite them properly you dont need any dps on it. Plus you have a rogue who can tick and slow them for you.

Ok so we will try this if our dps is too low when the dk is on the adds

you shouldn't have to tank them at all. with an ele shaman, a dps dk, fire mage, and hunter you should have enough aoe to kill them without having to put a tank on them.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I have Frost DPS setup as my secondary spec(Blood Tank) and just take care of them myself for the whole fight. If it is an option for one of your Paladins to go RET (even if he does less DPS than the DK) get the DK to Frost Chillblains them with Howling Blast. This option really makes the boss easy with all but two playres (tank and DK) in the melee camp hitting the snooze button.

This is assuming your Ranged DPS have thus far been unable to handle the adds which is why you are asking.

I started off tanking the adds as prot warrior works great one shot mag tonight, just get some stomps/cleaves/shockwave going, youll still want ranged dps to help get em down, and still have a hunter toss down slow traps.

Quote Originally Posted by burwang View Post
    youll still want ranged dps to help get em down, and still have a hunter toss down slow traps.
    If you tank then don't nuke them, have your dps stay on the boss. The damage you take doesn't increase over time, it's always the same maximum spawnrate if you manage to keep the adds on you. Unless you're worried about 2k ish melee hits

And you can easily pull off very nice dps numbers, 40k+ is possible for a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by burwang View Post
    I started off tanking the adds as prot warrior works great one shot mag tonight, just get some stomps/cleaves/shockwave going, youll still want ranged dps to help get em down, and still have a hunter toss down slow traps.
    In my 10 man group I off tank (prot warrior) the adds. With vigilence on the main tank (prot pally) and constant damage on myself, I tend to get maxed vengance and kill the adds fairly decently solo. Not to mention the constant victory rush procs keep the healers happy and high on mana.

This however doesnt help the original posters question entirely. I would suggest trying to OTing them, you might start off slower on dps then a warrior but eventually you'll start dong some nice 20k plus damage. Pillar of Flame is on a 30sec CD so you should be able to consecrate everytime to grab agro on the new ones. Also, your group comp mentions a mage so I would suggest having him toss a ring of frost whenever you start getting overrun. It will freeze the lil'buggers in place and reduce some damage on you for a short time. When the head is spiked feel free to attack it as your primary target as well since no other adds should be spawning and the hit box on Magmaw is rather large.

I just tanked them last night on my toon pally, works even better then on my warrior. Having two taunts on 8s cd, captain america shield and judgement on range, holy wrath to getting the initial aggro after pillar and HotR+Inquisition to hit them all simultaneously worked pretty damn well.

Those 20k Buksey mentioned are easily possible without even trying to hard or risking having any larvae ever reaching the camp.

The only downside? I took more damage than our tank on Magmaw, but whatever. We lacked aoe dps for the night to this was our only real option.

Got 19th highest prot pala DPS on this fight tanking those adds. 25kDPS ftw.

TBH if you can't tank a big swarm of slow moving worms you've got bigger problems.

About to try this fight for first time tonight.. Since MT is pally - I'm going to guess I'm OTing the adds.

My second Prot spec has Piercing Howl .. I was thinking I could attack the adds .. build up some threat/rage/vigilence .. and then kite them around the for the fight so no more spawn ...

Should work right?

Yea it will work if you keep on grabbing new ones that spawn from pillars of flame.