Thread: Slate, Time Warden, and Whelps Halfus 10m...

Slate, Time Warden, and Whelps Halfus 10m...

So whose done this combo of drakes before? Which order should we release em and what not?

I was thinking about releasing Time Warden first so we can dodge the fireballs along with Slate to paralyse him. I'll be on the boss as to bubble out of my healing debuff once it gets to 10 and get some more in hopes of having one drake down by then. Then moving to kill the Slate dragon. Anyone see issue with this?

And what about the Whelps? Is the proto-behemoth's fire breath to much for the healers or is it a flat 9k every 8 seconds or 9k every 2 seconds for 8 seconds?

To be honest, I'd leave up the slate. Having to taunt for the debuff is not as bad if you can avoid most of the aoe damage, which has a tendancy to destroy healer mana.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Would the whelsp and halfus be to much on a pally tank or what? I'll be on halfus to bubble out of the debuff so I can keep the bear from having to worry with swapping to early.

Release the whelps and Time Warden at the same time and you can ignore the slate drake. With the Time Warden out, Furious Roar in p2 isn't too much of an issue if your raid knows how to jump between knockdowns

Priority one should be aoe'ing and cleaving down the whelps on the Time Warden tank, if you can HoP drop the MS on the MT the whelps should be down and Time Warden nearly down by the time you need to tank swap.

Don't kill the Slate Dragon. His stun is the least helpful, and you still have to tank swap. If you're struggling to beat the enrage timer, wait until the Time Warden and whelps are dead and release him, then offtank him for the rest of the fight with DPS on Halfus.

Edit: you're killing the Time Warden and whelps. Not sure if that was clear or not.

Just did this today with my raid group.

Composition:
    DK tank
    Feral tank

Fury warrior
    Rogue
    Fire Mage
    Warlock
    Shadow priest

Holy pal
    Rest shaman
    Rest Druid

Released time first and whelps shortly after Druid was on these. Aoe'd the whelps and popped time warp after whelps died to kill time warden. I switched w/ feral after every 8 stacks of MS.

When time warden dies I grab slate and raid dps him down. We got at around 50 to a min. left on enrage timer. It was a one shot gl.
    Last edited by Vaymerc; 02-02-2011 at 08:04 AM.

We did this fight last night with this combination.

Raid Setup
    Prot Pally
    Prot Warrior (me)

Healers
    Resto Shaman
    Resto Shaman

DPS
    Cat Druid
    Fury Warrior
    Destro Lock
    Arcane Mage
    Shadow Priest
    Mark Hunter

First we released the whelps. I did tank them and we used heroism at the beginning of the fight. The pally cleaned the debuffs after 8 stacks.
    After, we switch the tanks and released the Time Warden.
    So we killed the boss.
    Slate dragon up for the whole fight.

We tried it last night and just got owned by the whelps for some reason. I guess we didn't have enough aoe dps for em or something. And our guild is kinda meh right now. We have people who want to raid, but don't want to do anything to get raid geared and ready to raid. Some of them can't even finish heroics -_-. Anyways, we got in with a not so good comp. in my opinion.

Tanks: prot pally (me), feral druid
    Healers: holy pally, resto druid, disc priest
    Melee: fury warrior, enh. shaman
    Ranged: arcane mage, arcane mage, frost mage

Maybe that's because you're running with 3 mages none of them being fire... Make them all 3 spec fire, with only 1 fire Mage you don't even need to focus whelps, the fire mage can solo them as your raid burns halfus and the other drake.

We went in last night with a couple of people who hadn't been raiding yet and tried it with Time and Whelps released. Our DPS was down last night so we actually had some issues with getting the Whelps down in a timely manner and with the tank switches, so after a couple of wipes we decided to leave the Whelps and release Slate. I was healing the fight for the first time last night (resto druid), and did not find the whelp damage overwhelming at all.

This week we released the Time Warden + Whelps at the same time, Paladin Offtank picked up the warden and we just picked up w/e whelps were around, I was on Halfus, called for a BoP when my stacks were getting too high 12-13. Popped the Slate afterwards too, so Halfus takes more damage, we got a couple of people that are crazy about WoL ranking lol.

How the hell do your healers heal with 12-13 stacks of that debuff? Mine seem to not be able to heal over 8 stacks -_-. Also, our highest dps is around 12-13k while the lowest is around 9k.

Quote Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
    How the hell do your healers heal with 12-13 stacks of that debuff? Mine seem to not be able to heal over 8 stacks -_-. Also, our highest dps is around 12-13k while the lowest is around 9k.
    Very carefully.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

The debuff isn't so much about healing damage but avoiding it. The higher your avoidance the slower the debuff stacks. Also in this particular combination since interrupts on the boss aren't required, taunting from range and kiting is an effective means of extending the time between debuff applications. For example, on the pull you can run all the way to the back wall and not take any stacks until he gets to you. Take a stack or two then you can then Intervene someone from a distance to kite him further. Take a stack or two, then heroic leap away. Take other stack or two and charge the off tanked target. Take a stack or two and have a hunter hit distracting shot and kite it all the way to the door and feign death.

Handling the debuff is actually more about minimizing the rate you aquire it. If you are going over 10 stacks and healing is falling behind, you should consider using Hand of Protection to cleanse the debuff off the tank. But again, a key concept here is the boss only applies the debuff if he can hit you. The longer you can avoid being hit, the longer you can hold him.

Also in this particular combination where the Proto Behemoth is doing raid damage a bit heavier keep in mind you are part of the raid. So if you let the debuff stack too high you can't be healed effectively for 30 seconds, and you still take the full brunt of the raid damage parts even if you aren't currently tanking the boss.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 02-03-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

That's a good idea, I'll see if the raid wants to try that next time we go in before the reset.

Not saying that is the actual approach to take, though you could. Just saying the entire key concept to handling the debuff... is avoiding it. Get as few stacks as possible at least until the the raid is on the boss and tanks are simply swapping.

We completed this last night with the following raid makeup:

Tanks:
    Prot Paladin (MT)
    Blood DK (OT)

Healers:
    Holy Priest
    Resto Druid
    Resto Shaman

DPS:
    Assassination Rogue (me)
    Fire Mage
    Unholy DK
    Affliction Warlock
    Survival Hunter

We wiped a bunch of times, but what finally worked for us was the following:
    1. MT takes Halfus
    2. OT takes whelps & Hunter MD's Slate to him
    3. DPS kills whelps and then Slate
    4. Wake up Time & kill him
    5. Burn down Halfus
    Tank switching taking place when needed (around 8 stacks).

We missed the enrage timer, but no one died. That order seemed to work the best for us, because we were able to slow down the stack building.

Overall I think we did really well for it being the first time in there.

How high is all the dps for yall's raids? Our average dps for a fight is around 50-70k. I'm hearing people all having around 130k+ dps for the raid with each person around 17k and up for 10m.

Don't forget about the bonus damage on Halfus. We just downed him in our very first twink raid and managed 125k rdps.

If you can only push 50-70k your dps doing it wrong, plain and simple. Eg: a heroic geared survival hunter must be above 20k dps on this fight. Log the raids and start researching on EJ class boards for gearing and more specifically rotation improvements. And think about your lineup, do you have (almost) all possible buffs and debuffs? MMO-C raidcomp can give you a decent overview.

I guess I'll start logging the raid attempts from now on, I keep forgetting everytime I go in there though. Any addon that can auto log it or no?