+ Reply to Thread

Thread: warrior prot PVP, first impressions...

warrior prot PVP, first impressions...

Well, as I stated before, Im trying Prot in PVP, only BGs, my gear is not full PVP (legs and chest missing), the rest of it Im Enchanting, gemming and reforging as a tank (this is a little experiment, Ill try later gemming DPS, I mean crit, strenght and resil).
    I can tell you I feel like a survival machine, hard to kill, the spell reflect glyph is working nicely and Im enjoying it a lot, by tomorrow Ill have my legs, and Im going for the chest to get the full set resil bonus.
    Today I fought a rogue about 6 minutes and I was never below 40% of my health.
    I would like to know if you guys suggest any macro, Im just macroing shield block + shield slam, but dont know If there is a must have in prot.
    By the way, wich trinkets do you suggest? as a human I dont need the one who takes aways roots and snares, so Im thinking bout the mastery one from Baradin and dont know about the other one.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by segavax; 01-29-2011 at 08:04 PM.

My main is a warrior and I've become very frustrated with tanking heroics (my gear isn't top notch yet and I'm not in a large guild). So I've moved to the PvP area.

With that said, I don't have that much arena experience, mostly because I've been farming the honor gear so that I can hold my own in arenas (instead of just getting massacred).

My main PvP spec right now is Arms tbh. However, I do have a Prot spec that is viable in Heroic tanking AND in BGs. Prot in PvP is mildly frustrating:
    1) your mobility is not that great compared to Fury or Arms (usually)
    2) Burst damage is lower. Your biggest burst dmg is usually going to come in the form of a concussive blow, followed up by a Shield Slam (Shield Block).

However, it is quite fun, as mages and those pesky casters that try and kite you just don't know what hit them when you perma-stun them with charge -> concussive blow -> shockwave -> shield bash.

Also, if you're doing BGs then you know that a tank is required for AV and Isle of Conquest so.... its always nice to have your tank set and your PvP set and swap between them when you have a boss to tank.

Just my 2cents. (In all honesty though Arms and Fury are probably the way to go if you're serious about Arena PvP).

Quote Originally Posted by segavax View Post
    Well, as I stated before, Im trying Prot in PVP, only BGs, my gear is not full PVP (legs and chest missing), the rest of it Im Enchanting, gemming and reforging as a tank (this is a little experiment, Ill try later gemming DPS, I mean crit, strenght and resil).
    I can tell you I feel like a survival machine, hard to kill, the spell reflect glyph is working nicely and Im enjoying it a lot, by tomorrow Ill have my legs, and Im going for the chest to get the full set resil bonus.
    Today I fought a rogue about 6 minutes and I was never below 40% of my health.
    I would like to know if you guys suggest any macro, Im just macroing shield block + shield slam, but dont know If there is a must have in prot.
    By the way, wich trinkets do you suggest? as a human I dont need the one who takes aways roots and snares, so Im thinking bout the mastery one from Baradin and dont know about the other one.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    I recently got PVP neck and legs, and continue gemming and enchanting as a tank, I feel awesome!!! hard to kill, of course not doing tons of burst damage a as fury warrior, but in Battle grounds definitely worths, By the first time in months Im really having lots of fun in BGs.
    By the way I have serious doubts about changing my elemntium crafted dps chest (has a lot of mastery and critical block is working fine), Im planning to go for the health PVP trinket tomorrow to use it in a macro with last stand.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    PS: Go Steelers!!!

Go with what's most fun for you! I too am just returning to wow to play Cata. My first toon since the beginning is my warrior and I enjoy tanking and do pvp in prot 99%! (I dabled in arms and fury, but didnt enjoy it as much, I prefer controlling, stunning a lot more!) Looks like your bumping up your resil in other pieces outside of your shield and bp. I'd keep doing that until you find a shield and BP that give you the stats you looking for. You could always reforge the pvp gear to some degree, not sure if you can add dodge or parry (haven't tried). Good luck fellow prot warrior! Slam dem squishies!

warrior prot PVP, first impressions...

Your mobility should be higher than arms or fury as you can charge, intercept, and intervene in any stance. Intervene also breaks any root/movement impairing effect (with warbringer iirc) and you can still heroic leap! Your burst will be lower, but you make up for it in defensive abilities.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

+ Reply to Thread