+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resto Shaman Tank Healing; a 4.0.6 perspective

Resto Shaman Tank Healing; a 4.0.6 perspective

Also posted on Official forums here

As most people that read MMO-C or other fansites know by now, hardcore raiding guilds right now are dropping Shamans from their rosters in favor of other classes that can bring the same buffs and do more damage or healing in their place.

As I am pretty familiar with Restoration, I decided to take a closer look into this particular spec and how it fairs atm. In regards to the issues Restoration Shamans have now, Blizzard has planned the following changes in 4.0.6:
    * Mastery becomes 20% more powerful (up to 3% rather than 2.5%)
    * Greater Healing Wave (the big heal) will heal for 20% more, but cost 10% more mana
    * Chain Heal does 10% more healing

The change in Mastery could very well be a balance issue to compensate for people requiring more %HP in heroic fights to be in 'the safe zone', thus to keep it on par with other healing Masteries. This leaves the Greater Healing Wave change as the only 'counter' to the current reasons as to why Restoration Shamans are being neglected at the moment.

Although I dreaded doing it, I felt that the only way to show everyone that it is the class and not the player being the issue was to directly compare the base of spells. More specificly, I concentrated on tank healing, as the abilities all healers have to heal a tank are very similar (a cheap, big and fast heal each).

Evaluating the current situation:
    Step 1:
    I took each of these spells for the healing classes/specs and put them next to eachother. I excluded all gear and any talents or glyphs that did not affect all of these spells together, to keep it simple.
    Step 2:
    Considering Spell Power and Haste generally have a similar effect on all classes, it was easy to ignore them. Furthermore, due to Mastery being completely different for all healers, I consider any scaling issues a Mastery-problem. That leaves Critical Strikes as possible scaling issue. Druids, Shamans and Disc Priests all get extra bonuses from crit (although Shamans can not control who it heals), Paladins get more conviction from crit (although the uptime should be high already without having to focus on crit gearing) and Holy Priests get very little extra from crit. Without a talent to increase the value of crit rating for Holy Priests, you should keep these small scaling issues in mind.
    Step 3:
    The numbers. The results simply baffled me. With the exception of Regrowth, nearly every other healing spell on live beats the Shaman's heal in their respective field by 10-30% in both healing done and efficiency. The 4.0.6 fix for Greater Healing Wave does bring it's healing done up to par with all other classes, but will still put it 15-20% behind efficiency-wise. The cheap heal for Shamans is actually so gimped it is outdone in efficiency by large heals from other classes, which do triple the healing for the same cast time. With these numbers, I can understand why guilds that focus on progression leave a Shaman behind. The skill required to overcome such a base difference is simply too large.

Finding the correct fixes:
    So (obviously) the upcoming fixes do not solve the problem Restoration Shamans are facing in PvE, but how DO you solve them?
    I've set out to find a correct balance for all three single-target heals, with at most 4 number changes that will put all spells atleast within 10% of the average output and efficiency of similar spells.
    I used the spreadsheet to tweak numbers untill there was a balance I could personally consider "within limits of skill difference" and with specific class mechanics in mind.
    The result is found here.
    For those that want to know what I changed:
    Scratch the current Greater Healing Wave (and Chain Heal) PTR changes.
    Instead add the following:
    • Purification now increases healing done by 25%, up from 10%
    • Tidal Focus(talent) now reduces the mana cost of your healing spells by 3/6/9%, up from 2/4/6%
    • The mana cost of Greater Healing Wave has been reduced by 10%.
    • The healing done by Healing Surge has been reduced by 10%.
    There you go, 4 changes that would bring back balance for endgame healing.
    As the Purification change also helps on raid healing, the Chain Heal buff is no longer needed, thus keeping the amount of changes overall limited to this list. The Healing Surge change I explain a bit below.

Discrepancies/Differences:
    Paladins:
    Keep in mind that Paladins do not have a Heal-over-Time effect they can keep active on a tank. On top of that, they do not have the 10% damage reduction buff Shamans or Priests do. This is countered by their extra healing done as well as their strong Beacon of Light.
    Druids:
    On the other side of the spectrum, Druids are the most potent when it comes to HoTs. They can keep up both Rejuvenation and Lifebloom on a tank, which would make up for their relatively weaker direct healing power.
    Quick Heals:
    Because Healing Surge is mostly used on players with low %HP to keep them from dying and Shaman's Deep Healing Mastery works best in these situations, it seems to be a better balance to deliberately have Healing Surge heal for a lower base amount.
    That said, it still beats Regrowth by miles. Although I don't have an extensive knowledge of Restoration Druids, this seems a bit unfair to me, especially when you even have a specific fight in the game that revolves around this style of emergency healing.
    Cooldowns:
    I feel I need to touch this topic as well. On top of the current healing issues, there is an issue with cooldown abilities. You can categorize most healer CDs into 3 classes; mana regeneration, target survivability and mobility. If you consider Hymn of Hope and Mana Tide Totem to be raid-utility (similar to Bloodlust), then Shamans are the only class without a personal mana-regeneration tool. When it comes to survivability, Paladins and Holy Priests are excellent at keeping tanks alive, while Disc Priests and Druids are very strong raid healers. Shamans yet again have nothing. Only on mobility CDs do they come up on top, possibly together with Tree of Life. But mobility in raids is not about 15s every 2min, but short bursts of movement every 20-30s.

Arguments/Discussion:
    I have thought about why and how a lot the last couple of days/weeks and I came up with only a single valid reason to not buff Restoration Shamans as much they should: PvP.
    Right now, Shamans are very strong and mobile in PvP and buffing their heals even more would only cause them to be stronger. But I feel that this should not be a reason to have them struggle in PvE, rather their PvP-specific strengths & weaknesses need to be adressed better.

So what are your ideas about this? Have I missed something crucial that totally changes the value of direct heals? Is there a particular niche/ability Blizzard could tweak for the PvE vs PvP balance? If you could write 4 lines of patch notes, what would you change to fix the current issues?
    Last edited by Airowird; 01-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Amen.

Thanks for the necro, Purification has been buffed since I posted this and Blizz is following up closely, especially on the cooldown part.
    Half the base of this post has since become irrelevant.

Shamans are the only class without a personal mana-regeneration tool
    Shamans have Telluric Currents (if fully talented) as a personal mana regen. And it can regen quite a significant amount of mana if used at opportune times. There is no limit on how much you can regen, as there is with Hymn, Innervate, or Divine Plea.
    Last edited by kahlina; 02-28-2011 at 08:33 AM.

I am a Tauren Paladin Tank and my wife is a Goblin Shaman Healer. When we first started running Heroics we had all of the same challenges as everyone else except Shaman's are under par on top of it. I am a new player and while I enjoy challenges the healer isn't having fun having to decide who lives or dies..

She has an 85 Shadow Priest as well.. Should we just build that priest instead and let the Shaman go? That Shaman is getting up there now though.. ={ On another note she is pulling her weight we took Vortex Pinnacle Heroic last night for example just one person dropped.

My Wifes Resto Shaman
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...an/pamy/simple
    My Wifes Priest
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/kleya/simple

Me
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...travene/simple

@ Contravene - I know as well as anyone who has played a resto shaman in cata, we were seriously lacking until the recent hotfixes. I play both a disc/holy priest and resto shaman (main) and they both can be great healers, each with their different strengths. If your wife really enjoys her shaman and wants to continue playing it, there are quite a few adjustments she can make in her gear that should help.

Helm - ditch the 21 int/run speed meta and replace with 54 int/2% mana meta, 40 int gem in red socket, reforge crit to haste

Shoulders - replace gem with int/spirit

Chest - replace spirit enchant with +15 stats, ditch the haste/hit gem and replace with int/spirit, reforge crit to haste

Bracers - reforge crit to haste

Gloves - gem for int/haste, reforge crit to haste

Boots - gem int/haste, reforge crit to haste

Shield & Weapon - reforge crit to haste

There are still quite a few upgrades from heroics to get still - trinket Tear of Blood from H Stonecore (replace the spirit trinket from TB) & Kibble from H BRC (replace Therazane rep ring).

Until you get into better gear with more mastery stats, haste is going to be more beneficial for running 5 mans. I personally have both a set of gear stacking haste and another stacking mastery that I switch out depending on the encounter.

It's also a bit of personal preference... Although I agree with everything Kahlina said and I also play two different types of healers (shaman and pally), I wanted to add a little bit of a choice for you.
    Instead of reforging all of your crit to haste, you could try to keep a healthy mix of both. With 18% crit, I find that my mana lasts just enough to get me through the tough fights and, if you make full use of the Tidal Waves talent, you won't be missing that haste all too much.

I will say that I prefer my shaman over any other healer, even before these recent hotfixes. I feel like I go through mana too quickly and can't get the throughput my shaman does on my holy priest, but that's also because his gear is FAR below my shaman's.

Thank you guys for you input I am going to link her to this thread. We both love her Shaman she had the priest this whole time and she specifically built the shammy.

Crit can be benefitial in some situations, yes, I just perfer haste for the extra ticks of riptide, earthliving, healing rain. But further into the content, mastery outweighs crit.

@ Crittable - Im curious why you chose not to fully talent Totemic Focus? This will increase your duration of Mana Tide Totem by 40%! That's huge! I see that you did put these points into Convection and Elemental Precision, but I think you could drop points somewhere else if you really feel you need those talents. Ancestral Resolve is helpful, but not necessary until you are into HM content; Nature's Blessing can also be dropped if you are usually assigned raid healing vs sole tank healing (I'm guessing you aren't since you dont have points in Improved Shields - which btw also increases mana regen as well).
    Last edited by kahlina; 02-28-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Since I'm at work right now, I can't look up my spec and TBH i really don't remember the details of it, but this is what I do remember.

Rawvoltage was my second toon to hit 85, but first to start raiding and I was raiding with a friend's guild as a filler until my guild's group got going. The raid composition of that friend's group unfortunately required that I shear Maloriak's summoning cast when he jumped across the room starting the green phase. I wasn't hit capped cause I didn't have Elemental Precision. After a few wipes because of my interrupts missing, I hearthed and respec'd. I took the improved shields points and put them in Elemental Precision and I had to take some points from resto to fill out the first tier of elemental in order to GET to Elemental Precision.

My current raid composition, with it being a 10m with all knowledgable and capable healers (pally, me, hpriest), is sort of a FFA heal. We don't assign tank healers, but obviously the pally is going to beacon the tank, I'm going to ES him, priest is most likely going to PoM him, and we're all going to heal him when needed. So I'm sort of in the middle of a tank healer and raid healer. I haven't respec'd since that initial raid respec that I described, and it wasn't until after the respec that I found out about Totemic Focus increasing the duration of mana tide. I wish I had known about it beforehand.

I have been meaning to get it, but I don't know what I would get rid of for those points.
    -I like Nature's Swiftness for an "OH S***" button (for instance when my tank and I are leaving one of the boss' platforms in To4W and he gets hit from behind, it's a quick Unleash Elements+Natures Swiftness+Greater Healing Wave as we're running).
    -I honestly don't remember what Ancestral Resolve is by name (as I said, at work, no access to any sites other than this one), but I feel that hard modes and progression raiding while gearing up is about the same difficulty. In hard modes, you already have the gear and the know-how to do the fights, but it's the difficulty in executing them that's the problem. In progression raiding while gearing up, you don't have the gear, you don't necessarily know the fights, but you've read about them and watched videos so, again, it's the executing them that's the problem.

I still have yet to fine tune my spec and I will do it sometime in the near future. I will find a way to get improved shields and full totemic focus while still being hit capped with telluric currents, but for now I am doing perfectly fine with what I have. I supplemented with glyph of water shield to help out my mana regen, crit is massive regen, I have a lot of spirit with my heartsong and tear of blood procs, and (lucky for me) my raid has two boomkins :-) nomnom innervate if I ever need it

I did notice a big change with my healing when Cata hit. At first I could not stand all the changes they made. It was so easy to be top healer in my guild other then a pally during LK. I sucked it up and did my healing anyway, and got good at it again. I am happy they made greater healing wave stronger. I have yet to make another healing toon. But from what I see it may not be a bad idea to have a back up healer. Mana tide is still pretty awesome. I don't want to abandon my favorite Troll though

Your input helped her a lot thanks again guys and we both already noticed less deaths on our adventures last night..

Shaman healing

I am a Shaman healer 9/12 on cata raid bosses. I dont have any problems keeping up with a hpriest or outhealing our hpally. Since patch and the recent hotfix i have reforged some of my crit into mastery and my hps has went up a bit as I am normally on raid heals.
    Last edited by Teddysham; 03-02-2011 at 08:09 AM.

in need of help with my shaman, i really haven't done alot of healing since wrath and i find myself blowing thru mana really fast i have only healed with my shaman for 2 bosses in bot, but am gonna start healing on a reg basis, any criticism on gear, chants, and gems, reforging are welcome, i have been raiding on my disc priest for all of cata so this is all new on the shaman. anything you see that i can pick up fast that would help thanks

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...trify/advanced

i do realize that i need to socket belt, bracers, gloves

OT: Does 2 months count as a necro already?

On topic:
    Maybe consider moving 2 points from Blessing of the Eternals to Telluric Currents if you can spare the cast time on fights. BotE is pretty useless now that it is gimped on AoE spells.
    Try to hit 915 Haste (for the extra tick), other than that, seems about ok.
    If you're blowing through your mana, it'll mostly be because of spell choices. I'm guessing too much Healing Surge, Greater Healing Wave and/or Healing Rain. If you have played a Disc priest, think of them as resp. Flash Heal, Greater Heal & a mini-PW:Barrier.
    Especially Healing Surge is not exactly that great for a Shaman, same HPS as Greater HW, but at even less efficiency, making it a mana-hog only useful as emergency spell (with Riptide & UL on CD)

+ Reply to Thread