+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot PvP Movies?

Prot PvP Movies?

Greetings all,

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some good prot PvP warriors with videos out? My Google ability seems to dwindling because I'm not really coming up with anything good on either Google or YouTube.

What I'm looking for is just something that will give me a general overview on how the class feels to play in PvP. It doesn't have to be commentated or anything. It doesn't have to be the greatest skill level, but something that seems to show what the class' feel is.

Thanks!

He's good.

england, because its awesome *sips tea* *smokes pipe*
    oh my warchief. i was debating about weather to go pvp prot or just /quit wow alltogether (as i hate PuGs and am in a social guild) but this film has changed my mind. PVP here i come. im tauren horde so you know ill be the biggest badass on the BG. i do however have a few questions.
    1) what to gem for and what are the caps (never dpsed in my life, im still going prot but pvp needs dps)
    2) specc?
    3) most importantly i understand some stance dancing is involved in this. now being a tank since forever both arms and zerker stance are as alien to me as playing a mage. when to i swap? advice is MUCHO appreciated.

PVP in protection spec is all I have ever played but I can tell you it isn't glorious, pretty much like being a tank now. You have no taunts to use though and you can't beat down people so easily so your job is to cause mayhem and beat down squishy.. Your job is to take out healers, totems and lay down confusion. To run in over and over an die for nothing else but to cause confusion.. It is not a glorious position but it is so damn much fun.. Hard to rally up deaths tho, I am so behind my other guildies on dying..

It takes coordinated effort to kill you if you are trying hard enough.. and if they are disorganized you can just switch targets from them and go after their healers in their faces.. It is like the fly between the eyes tactic, just keep landing right between their eyes.. You switch targets pound on the highest res guy relentlessly to get him to attack you and tie him in a 5 minute useless fight. While your guys take out the others.. Or if you notice he is gun ho to kill you then you can move on to the next guy now you have two of them tied up.

I am not sure a video is going to spell this out for you but entering a PVP arena will. You will have some extra time in most cases to get an idea what is going on anyway. Find all your interrupts and things to screw with people and go have some fun! Obviously I don't want to lead into my tactics to much as I am Contravene in PVP as well.

Hope your game play improves

Prot PvP Movies?

Prot pvp focuses less on burning people down and more on controlling the field.

As prot, you have the benefit of mobility. No other warrior spec offers as much mobility as prot. With warbringer you can charge and intercept in any stance. Intervene is available in def stance and heroic leap is available. In RBG you
    Become a great flag runner as result (add spell reflect and
    All of the warrior cooldowns.)

In RBG You will be the flag runner. In arena... I'm sure there is a use in 5s but 2s probably not.

You gear the same as prot pvp as you do arms pvp (that is to say pvp gear is your focus.) Highest Resilience possible.

You might re-gem for stam instead of str for higher survivability.

EDIT: spec: be sure to pick up Second Wind, Blood Craze and gag order. Safeguard too. BnT is fun though not entirely necessary.

Glyphs I can't recall. I'm on my phone
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

Prot PVP with a healer behind him keeping a flag is where i usually find my fortae (sp?)

ive had around 6-8 vs me an a heals and kept a flag / base from being taken
    spell reflecting / stunning / fearing / disarming
    i dont think i got one kill but i annoyed the dam hell out of them i can tell you that

as prot pvp u want to gear/enchant/gem as if you was DPS
    ie strength / crit
    u dont need defensive stats as that comes with ur build
    most of ur abilities can be used in battle stance an this is where i spend most of my time
    def stance only really needed for defensive cd's and disarm

time ur interupts well and ur stuns and spell reflects even better an shield slams HS etc and u can take people down, but its not easy
    i think its alot of fun to be honest,
    also learn to use intervene it can make the differance between win or lose

chuck ur vigilance on ur squishy friend
    because of how vig works now it will build u up some nice AP to shield wall/shield slam someone for a nice big chunk

england, because its awesome *sips tea* *smokes pipe*
    lol it seems lawder finally did get prot warriors nerfed as the video predicted, with shield bash now gone, spell reflect nerfed to hell and only arms and fury getting a dps boost as any sort of recompense, prot is now even more difficult do pvp without getting all your kills stolen.

Honestly if you are worried about getting kills, then you should roll arms or fury. Prot is for control and utility pressure, not killing blows.

Also the nerf to spell reflect isn't gonna be that bad. Spell Reflect: 20sec cd with glyph, Pummel: 10 sec cd, Charge Stun: 15 sec cd, Intimidating Shout: 1 min cd, Intercept Stun: 30 sec cd, Concussion Blow: 30 sec cd, Shockwave: 20 sec cd, Heroic Throw Silence: 30 sec cd. Thats 23 different ways to interupt a cast, in three different types of diminishing returns, over the course of a minute. And thats not including the new Shield Block casting damage reduction, or the fact that pummel will no longer miss.

Prot PVP will provide the same benefits it did before, and will continue to remain viable in both 3's/5's arena and rated bgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfactor View Post
    He's good.
    Agreed, Lawder is some pretty good watchin'.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyman View Post
    Prot PVP with a healer behind him keeping a flag is where i usually find my fortae (sp?)

ive had around 6-8 vs me an a heals and kept a flag / base from being taken
    spell reflecting / stunning / fearing / disarming
    i dont think i got one kill but i annoyed the dam hell out of them i can tell you that

as prot pvp u want to gear/enchant/gem as if you was DPS
    ie strength / crit
    u dont need defensive stats as that comes with ur build
    most of ur abilities can be used in battle stance an this is where i spend most of my time
    def stance only really needed for defensive cd's and disarm

time ur interupts well and ur stuns and spell reflects even better an shield slams HS etc and u can take people down, but its not easy
    i think its alot of fun to be honest,
    also learn to use intervene it can make the differance between win or lose

chuck ur vigilance on ur squishy friend
    because of how vig works now it will build u up some nice AP to shield wall/shield slam someone for a nice big chunk
    most prot specs for PvP don't get vigilance. after 31 points in prot ignoring vigilance you go for the self healing factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

i used to destroy prot pvp... been out of the game since before cataclysm and getting back into it in a couple days... interesting to see how i'm going to do it without imp. spell reflect, shield bash, and some of the arms talents i used to grab...

i was UA (unrelenting assault) spec for a while a couple years ago... that shit is weird but was pretty fun in arena or bgs if you were lucky enough to have some melee focus you... in either ua or straight prot, revenge stun was nuts. not to mention shockwave glyph & conc blow... plus, i'm tauren, so working war stomp into the mix made stunlock pretty easy... with silence/daze/hamstring in between if i couldn't get a stun off. oh, nostalgia.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crimsoon27

I like Daijozen, and he inspired me to go back to Prot for PvP, go watch his stuff.

(hope this thread wasnt too old to reply to... :S )

i subscribe to this thread and i'm always willing to discuss it so bumping it is fine with me.

i've gone back to it in cata and i think it's still viable if you gear correctly and have the right addons for timing everything. more for bgs than arena but i've been using it in arena and haven't had many complaints from my arena partners. i still like african turtle cleave, but i haven't experimented too much. also had an excellent combo with an arcane mage... he was going frost but switched to his pve arcane spec to do more damage. i did the stuns, he burst em down, it was pretty easy unless we were against an OP combo like fmage/rogue.

i'm wondering a couple things... what shield enchant do you use? 50 mastery? i was using pyrium shield spike on my vicious shield but put 50 mastery on my ruthless. both are only helpful for melee classes and neither are great. and do you use a medallion for breaking cc or double dps trinket like daijozen?

the stunlock is still pretty sick if you use charge correctly and switch to another target when you int. shout (glyphed) to avoid diminishing returns.

i reforged my haste into crit but not my expertise. i have around 10 expertise i think, and i try to get behind people but it depends on the class... so i'm okay with having some expertise more for the rage gain than the dps gain.

do you spec into arms or fury after 51? right now i'm doing fury but i think i'm going back to arms, mostly because i've noticed how good second wind is for other warriors. i have to remember not to stun them and hit demo shout, thunder clap, and disarm to gimp them but otherwise stick to straight damage because they'll just heal through all my stuns... also when fighting warriors it's kinda the opposite of other classes and i don't have a problem hitting int. shout early to force them to use berserker rage so they might not have it for enraged regen later... anyway, it's basically second wind vs. piercing howl, and i can see a lot of utility in both. piercing howl is better than hamstring for getting kited all those times when you're just out of range for hamstring and shockwave is on CD.

still can't solo healers unless i get really lucky and line all the stuns/silences up just right (and silence pallies when they're trying to bubble)... again, usually int. shouting a different nearby target is best for finishing off a healer because it's 8 whole seconds.

i also use the following macros:

this is my "OMG" macro (and yes i'm herb/alch... endless healing potion sucks but at least i know it'll always be in my bag)
    /cast Rallying Cry
    /use Healthstone
    /cast Lifeblood(Rank 8)
    /cast Enraged Regeneration
    /use Endless Healing Potion
    /cast Shield Wall

this one will sometimes cast HS after Revenge, and try to cast VR if it's available... you may not like it if you find you're starved for rage, but since Revenge and VR are basically free, I figure I'd rather drop extra damage simultaneously.
    #showtooltip Revenge
    /castsequence reset=1 Revenge, Heroic Strike
    /cast Victory Rush

same as above, tries to cast HS simultaneously with VR since VR is free.
    #showtooltip Victory Rush
    /cast Victory Rush
    /cast Heroic Strike

ditto, except this time i'm combining all ranged stuff with Heroic Throw... good for being rooted and having no immediate way to break it. although i'm trying to get better at intervening out of CC.
    #showtooltip Heroic Throw
    /cast Heroic Throw
    /cast Heroic Strike
    /cast Throw
    /cast Shoot

switch to berserker, cast colossus, switch back... i won't always spam this, sometimes i'll hit hamstring or execute while i'm in zerk, but this macro works to switch back whenever you're ready to go back. you could do battle stance too if you're more comfortable with that and want to have shattering throw available instead of in its own macro. i have identical macros for this, hamstring, and shattering. /cast is only in there twice to make sure it doesn't try to give me any wrong stance bullshit.
    #showtooltip Colossus Smash
    /cast Colossus Smash
    /cast [stance:2] Berserker Stance
    /cast Colossus Smash
    /cast [stance:3] Defensive Stance

this one's risky, it uses ruthless gladiator's badge of victory for 2029 str, pops reck, and shield block, depending on what's available, and tries to hit shield slam if i happen to spam it more than once. you might not like attempting to use recklessness with every shield block, but it's a matter of using it as many times as it's up vs. trying to time it perfectly. i've gone back and forth about using reck here, but i do think it's great for the trinket still if you just wanna delete that line. no reason not to be using SB/SS in combination with trink.
    #showtooltip Shield Block(Defensive Stance)
    /use 14
    /cast Recklessness
    /castsequence reset=1 Shield Block(Defensive Stance), Shield Slam

again, you might not like this one, but i forget to use inner rage exactly when i need to, and since i have HS macro'd with revenge/vr/ht, the times when i hit the key to use HS specifically is typically when i'm trying to finish somebody, which means i'm gonna want inner rage and it has no rage cost.
    #showtooltip Heroic Strike
    /cast Inner Rage
    /cast Heroic Strike

int. shout breaks if you autoattack your primary target afterwards... the rest of the feared targets can be hit, but not the one you were targeting at time of cast. you don't wanna waste it. i also have devastate and some other attacks macro'd to /startattack or /cast Auto Attack
    /stopattack
    /cast Intimidating Shout

the way macros used to work, i would have had all these listed in opposite order to try to cast revenge or execute if they were available instead of devastate. unfortunately, it doesn't work that way now, but OCCASIONALLY i'll see this proc one of them instead of dev. i don't know exactly how or why, but it's fine with me. if anyone has a better suggestion for this, let me know.
    #showtooltip Devastate
    /cast Devastate
    /cast [stance:2] Revenge(Defensive Stance)
    /cast [stance:1/3] Execute(Battle, Berserker Stance)
    /startattack

Well Lautoa, I had a pretty solid Arms set when I wanted to go back to Prot, 4-5 pieces of Ruthless gear I think.
    I looked about the net, at Foni and many others then when I saw what Daijozen was doing and I really liked it.
    I basically changed talents and glyphs, and left all the red gems and enchants I had on the gear.
    I have had a lot of fun going offensive in BG's, and a lot of laughs in 2v2 as well.
    I am Orc so the human 2 dps trinkets doesnt work for me.
    I dont have the experience yet to really push high ratings in arena, but our guilds rated BG's go really well with me in there as prot.
    But due to me not doing arena as much, I am tempted to go full defence (change my JC gems from str to resil etc).

I really like your macro's, in fact I have the ranged one you use but I added Taunt to it as well.

I should copy and paste my other macros into here as well. I will one day soon.
    Last edited by Wulfram; 08-24-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added words

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfram View Post
    Well Lautoa, I had a pretty solid Arms set when I wanted to go back to Prot, 4-5 pieces of Ruthless gear I think.
    I looked about the net, at Foni and many others then when I saw what Daijozen was doing and I really liked it.
    I basically changed talents and glyphs, and left all the red gems and enchants I had on the gear.
    I have had a lot of fun going offensive in BG's, and a lot of laughs in 2v2 as well.
    I am Orc so the human 2 dps trinkets doesnt work for me.
    I dont have the experience yet to really push high ratings in arena, but our guilds rated BG's go really well with me in there as prot.
    But due to me not doing arena as much, I am tempted to go full defence (change my JC gems from str to resil etc).

I really like your macro's, in fact I have the ranged one you use but I added Taunt to it as well.

I should copy and paste my macro into here as well. I will one day soon.
    If you check out Lawder, he is a nightelf but runs dual DPS Trinkets, Since he really likes to get the most Str he can when he goes for his insane numbers. He currently has the Apparatus and Fury of Angerforge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Here is a Prot PvP video I made this past weekend. There is another on my channel and a few Arms videos as well...including a PvE DPS guide and a couple from random BGs. I plan on making new Prot videos at least weekly, and probably more frequently since I just got onto a decent Rated Battleground team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_utFLd1t8

This is Daijozen from Us-Darkspear. He whoops up on dat ass.

+ Reply to Thread