View Poll Results: Which tank would select for a new comer?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paladin

23 46.00%
  • Warrior

20 40.00%
  • Deathknight

7 14.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want to start tanking!?!?!?!

Want to start tanking!?!?!?!

Hi guys,

Basically I after having got a Warlock (dps) and a resto druid (healer) I figured I should probably go for it and cap off the trinity and make a tank. Now being relatively new to tanking Iím not sure which class I should chose.

I was thinking of either choosing a warrior or a death knight but I was wondering what the greater community thought as a good class to pick to get into tanking particularly for a newbie tank. Please note however, since it will be said, that I am not interested in a druid tank currently and quite content to leave it as resto.

Any help, insights, opinion or advice that people could give me would be greatly appreciated and I apologise up front in this is the wrong section for this topic (I just joined to day ). I have included a poll too if people could be so nice as to vote and provide feedback.

I would venture that the tanking warrior is at an all time best balance atm. Great selection of tools, great mobility, etc. Self healing is very low though and learning to use all you have is somewhat harder than all the other tanks.

I find the DK tank a very fun tank class to play. Mind you it's somewhat harder than warrior to grasp the basics but once you have those basics it's a very fun class.

I havent played my pala tank yet in cata but back in wrath i found it a lot easier to learn & play, allowing me to mind my surroundings much better. Otoh, i found the simplicity somewhat boring after playing warrior & dk. You might want to ask around for the new paladin though, with cata release nothing is like it used to be.

Tanking is mostly about having fun. It's a tough job (personally i find it tougher than healing) so if you're not playing with a class that you have fun with, the fotm tank class wont serve you in any way.

In the end is always a matter of personal preference.

I made the exact same question as you a month ago when i decided i would roll a tank (never tanked in 5 years of wow) and i created a paladin and a warrior and leveled them in the LFD. In the end the answer presented itself to me as i was playing both to test them.

I can say that warrior tanking is harder than paladin tanking. Harder in the sense that you have more frequent procs and you have to use more abilities in order to achieve the same threat that paladin does with less buttons (especialy in aoe situations).

Paladin tanking is more about short cooldown abilities interweaved between themselfs where you can actualy put up a "rotation".
    Warrior tanking is more about a priority system that you constantly have to put in your head and react in realtime to the procs and situations.

On the other side though, warrior tanking feels much more active and mobile. It feels you can somedays be a UBER-master super PRO tank when you pratice it because its frenetic and have multiple solutions for everything and has the potential to be super fun. Paladin on the other side feels more relaxed and has more pauses and less solutions - Its efective, but in the end there is not much you can "invent" or "do better" in the end.

I like to compare both tanking classes as comparing an action movie to a musical. Both movies can be efective in delivering its purpose and both have diferent fans. One makes your heart pound while the other makes you more relaxed.

In the end, i decided to level both but giving the warrior more time. Its a spec that although harder to master, puts a bigger smile on your face when you do something fantastic out of the blue. It rarely happens with the pala.

I don't know about DK tanks, but my main is protadin and my alt a prot warrior. To be honest, if I could pick my main again, I would have gone warrior. The fighting style is great fun - you have so many choices. It's a very interactive and fast paced play style, it actually feels like you are in a fight. With the protadin, you usually have no choice: if you are not doing a 939 rotation, you are doing it wrong (pretty much). It's more abstract, rote like and less engaging.

In terms of effectiveness, I'd say they are very comparable. The pally is much better at self-healing and so probably has an edge, both soloing and in the Cata style model of instances where heal tanking is often optimal. However, warriors rock against casters and have enviable mobility.

Both are in a pretty good place, atm, to be honest. The Cata changes have made palatanking more fun than I have made it sound in the first para - I do enjoy it and it is admirably effective. And I have no complaints with the warrior either.

One other thing to consider is the offspecs - I suspect warrior dps is superior to ret. Ret is very "gappy" right now and underwhelming in dps. I find it terribly dull - compared to a prot warrior, I have no keys to press. Holy palas seem to be fun now, but you already have a healer.

I tank on a Pally and DK at level 85 and a warrior coming up who's level 61 and my suggestion, for a new tank, would be the Pally. Of the three the Pally is kind of easy mode tanking; AoE threat is good and it's not as cool down dependent as the DK. Of the three I'm finding the warrior is the most fun, but the most work, so many buttons.

That said, the feel I get from the three is that the DK is the most OP (Blood Shield, when you get mastery up there is just amazing - healers, we don't need no stink'in healers), which, if my feel is correct, means the nerf bat will be coming.

Right now DK tanks have the best OP, period. How many times has the last boss in Throne of the Tides been solo'd by a DK when the other 4 party members were murdered.

I'm a Warrior. My suggestion is always warrior, but it's not the easiest route. Warriors, IMHO, have the steepest learning curve of the current 3 classes ( druid tanks seem mia for some reason on my server ). But, I also feel, this is simply because we have the most tools of any tank class. This provides precision in terms of aggro generation on one or more targets, but also requires more forethought and strat than rolling into a mob, a DK dropping disease or a pally's capt. america move.

Another sad reality, pugs won't be fun as you learn to tank as a prot warrior. GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOG OMFG GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO WTF TNK LETZ GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOG

Even now in pugs, i get this. You know why ? I mark targets, assign cc, position the groups back to the DPS. I take pride in what I do. A job worth doing is worth doing right.

In the end you need to find the class you enjoy.

I play a prot pally and yeah, it's probably the easiest class to nail the basics on. However, I would like to clear up the misconception that we don't have an extensive toolkit. While not as sexy as many warrior abilities, we do bring a lot of raid utility to the table via Lay on Hands, Word of Glory, Holy Radiance, Divine Guardian (raid bubble), Hand of Salvation/Protection/Freedom/Sacrifice, Cleanse and Divine Shield. I tanked with both my pally and my warrior for all of Wrath and the two classes play very differently, despite both using a shield. Good luck with your choice!
    How does a PC gamer change a light bulb? He doesn't. He goes on the forums and QQs about it being dark.

I've tanked with all 3. only warrior is 85 though.

If youre planning on raiding, pallys have a slight edge. I feel their toolbox is superior in terms of survivability, raid buffs are better, have significant CDs they can use on themselves and others.

Prot warrior, while still a viable choice to raid with, has 4 different stuns, the ability to leap and charge all over the map, flat out more fun to play.

The addon Tidy Plates is a must for tanking IMO.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I am reading it all and taking it on board.
    I've noticed alot of Warrior or Paladin contributions and was wondering if any could make a comment or two on DK tanking just to help even out the picture a bit more.
    But thanks guys keep the comments/votes coming

I've tanked end game with a druid and a paladin, now working on my warrior, only have experience of tanking dungeons on my DK (don't find it fun).

As others have said, warriors are a lot of fun and have a LOT of utility. I however voted paladin because if you're new you want to be focussing on the dynamics of tanking and not having to worry so much about what ability you need to use to hold some adds etc. Paladins are much easier to play I find but I personally prefer my warrior for tanking as I feel like I can do more.

I know you're not interested but you might be later on but I found my druid to be quite a frustrating experience, melee groups noooo problem, casters? ahhh hell. Especially when we're talking places like VP or just anywhere with multiple casters spread out on a single pull. with my warrior I can keep up threat on a ranged caster quite easily with a mix of taunts heroic throw goblin rockets and spell reflect. Druid I had nothing...absolutely nothign so it led to me charging about the place to stun and interrupt casters to try drag them closer to the group. I was probably doing it wrong but hey...

My DK is my main tanking toon and I tanked all of WoLK with it (through nerfs and buffs) through end content and once you learn it, it's a great tank; but it takes some time and effort to learn the CD usage. With the new patch, DK's are going to be even stronger since Blood Shield will now stack on itself and not replace - talk about asking to spam Death Strike. But no block means you're rolling your cooldowns and self healing a lot.

I've been tanking on my DK in WotlK and now am just starting in Cata (took it easy to lvl 85 with mostly questing). Must say I absolutely love it.
    You do take more damage than warriors or paladins but make up with self healing and blood shield (which will be even more powerful from today on). The rune management can be a bit of a pain to learn but I like the fact that you have to plan your fights.

DK's have a lot of cooldowns at their disposal which provide you with a button for almost any situation but again you'll have to make sure they are available at the right time which will take some learning.

An additional plus: you start at level 55 and who would not want to face a bunch of angry mobs wielding a big two hander
    Last edited by Elechi; 02-09-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Honestly if there are any class differentials in ability you aren't going to notice them until you get to the very top level of playing your class, and by that point the balance may have shifted anyway. Try each of them out and go with whichever one feels the most fun for you.

My main char is a resto druid. Lvling him was fun but i kindda didnt really wanna go through it again with another char. So for my main alt i choose a DK and went with tanking spec.
    I donno how tanking is with a warrior or pally, but i like tanking with my DK vrey much. It's rather easy, and very fun to do it.
    U mainly have to press 3 buttons (rune strike, death strike and heart strike), besides the diseases and AoE abilites.
    Again not sure how the other tanking clases are, but i think the DK is the best AoE tank. Also Death grip is rather unique as no other tanking class has the abiliity to pull a renegate caster to it
    The self healing is awsome and on more then 1 occasion i did fights without the healer (either he was dead or dc-ed).
    I suppose pallys can also heal them self pretty well and alongside warriors they take less dmg, thx to shiel wielding ability, but i wouldn't trade my DK for them

Enjoy the DK. When you get to upper level tanking, as someone pointed out, you'll have to start watching your runic power; can't burn it on rune strike if you have interrupt duty, you'll need it for Mind Freeze - but 1/2 the fun is learning.

+ Reply to Thread