Thread: Tough Halfus Drake Combo

Tough Halfus Drake Combo

Nether, Slate, Storm (MS/Attack Speed/Shadow Nova) this week, could anybody offer some tips on how to tackle this one? Release two of them right out the gate? Raid damage is somewhat manageable but the tanks get eaten alive if we don't release 2 at the start, and trying to tank 2 drakes is pretty taxing on our healers.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Release Frenzy and Nova one at the start, each tank gets one, alternating which gets halfus (use a CD until the first drake dies). Don't bother with MS one, just burn halfus at that point, with tanks alternating as stacks drop.

Poke your dps to see if you have a hybrid with a tank spec.

you can then choose to release 2 at once and have 2 of your tanks swap boss and drake while the raid nukes down the other drake.

If done this way just getting rid of the frenzy and making the shadow nova interuptable should make the tank swaps trivial.

Another alternative is to have a paladin, protection and then freedom the halfus tank to drop the stacks.

Either way the 2 drakes mentioned above are the correct 2 to release and we normally ignore the 3rd completly aswell since the stun on the boss isnt something as crucial compared to what is gained by releasing the other 2 drakes.
    Last edited by Sifer; 01-27-2011 at 09:00 AM.

If one of your Tank's is a Warrior, then have him Tank Storm Rider. The other Tank gets Nether Scion and Halfus at the beginning. Pop Bloodlust as soon as both Drakes are Active and being Tanked. Nuke down Storm Rider while keeping 1 melee DPS on Halfus for Interupts. When the First Tank (Who is tanking Halfus AND Nether Scion) gets to around 10 Stacks, have the Warrior Taunt Halfus. The Storm Rider should be close to dead at this point. The Warrior Tank and Melee DPS now switch off who Interrupts Shadow Nova, while the First Tank is tanking Nether Scion. As soon as Storm Rider Dies, everyone switches to Nether Scion and kills him.

The first tank will get his 10 Stacks very quickly. If he Can pull Halfus from range to minimize the hits Halfus gets off before Nether Scion is active that is best. The Warrior Tank(Second Tank) will take a while to get to 10 stacks, and both Dragons should be dead before another Tank swap is needed. Then you just switch back and forth as needed, usually right before the next Furious Roar.

I actually plan on experimenting with using a Tenacity pet to tank a drake this week. Less armor and health than a conventional tank, but +40% healing received will probably still make it quite a viable option for tanking a drake. My two general goals are to first decrease the burden on the tanks by distributing the damage to another target, while also expanding our effective healing throughput potential (since the hunter healing their own pet can generate some reasonable HPS similar to a tank with self healing). By distributing the damage to more targets, the mortal debuff is less threatening. Also by increasing the raw healing throughput potential of the raid as a whole, we counteract part of the mortal wound debuff effect being applied to the tank.

Granted I haven't actually tried this yet with a hunter pet tanking, but that is my general thought process behind why I plan on experimenting with the idea.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    I actually plan on experimenting with using a Tenacity pet to tank a drake this week. Less armor and health than a conventional tank, but +40% healing received will probably still make it quite a viable option for tanking a drake.Granted I haven't actually tried this yet with a hunter pet tanking, but that is my general thought process behind why I plan on experimenting with the idea.
    I tried this with my Gorillia that I had spec'd to tank while I leveled - I still use it when I mine; the pet pretty much got one shotted. Hopefully, you'll fare better.

It may not work. Won't know until we try. I'm leaning towards using a Bear instead since Demoralizing Roar which will reduce damage by a flat 10%. Gorrilla is better if you need an interrupt. Turtle is better if you need a strong cooldown. But for normalized continuous damage I'd think Demoralizing Roar would be the best selection. Unless you are getting that from an outside source, then the Turtle would be best for the extra cooldown.

It won't surprise me if it doesn't work. Doesn't mean it isn't worth trying.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

As I posted in the other thread with this combo, if possible 3 tanks makes this fight very easy.

In 10 we pulled shadow nova drake and att speed drake at same time. Had our pally tank hold Halfus till about 9 stacks and zerged one drake down. Then had our pally tank bubble the stacks off and keep holding halfus while the other drake started to die. Then we just started trading stacks as usual between tanks taunting off eachother. Just the beginning was a pain.

we had this same combo last week. release the frenzy + fireball drakes at the start with one tank grabbing both and the other tank on halfus.

blow heroism/cooldowns and you should get the first drake dead right about when the tanks need to swap (pally on halfus means bubble which means he can last longer before the first swap). if you get this far, you've done the hardest part.

after that, burn the second drake, tank swapping every time the debuff falls off. we released the third drake at this point for the extra 50% damage on halfus, but it's up to you if you want to do that. the first week, we kept it alive until the end, but we had so much time left on enrage that we killed all three drakes the next week - it makes the burn phase really easy if you do.

Turtle tank worked fine on a Drake in our particular composition.

Our guild left slate down whole time pulled other 2 right at start. Worked Great.

Had no problem doing this with a warrior and paladin tank, I simply tanked storm rider and nether scion (with around 5 epics, which is easily aquireable from reputations and crafting. You just channel cooldowns and then the warrior just taunts nether scion when i taunted halfus, you just use bloodlust at the start when a drake is up, burst that drake down quick, then go free slate dragon and kill a second drake, then leave the third up since no point killing it and just use major cooldowns during furious roar (not really needed on normal mode, a standard 20% reduction is enough).