+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior Gear Question.

Prot Warrior Gear Question.

Hey guys. So basically I'm a prot warrior (obviously) and I have a question about a few stam/avoidance peices.

I have two stam trinkets, Leaden Despair and the JC trinket. When I have both of those equipped my HP is 154. My avoidance with both of those equipped is 11% dodge, 13% parry, and 45% block.

Now for my question. I have the Throngus Finger which is a pure avoidance trinket. When I equip that with one of my stam trinkets I have 146k hp. With 11% dodge, 14% parry, and 45% block.

Basically my question is, what trinket would suit me best. Is it worth losing the stam for 1% more parry?

That depends entirely on the fight. Trinkets are usually a 'swap as per needed'.

I am a little underwhelmed by Throngus Finger though, 1% more parry? That is a little sad. I will say that 1 % parry does increase HtL uptime by quite a bit though, so that is something to consider.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Ya for heroics and 5 mans I use 2 avoidance trinkets, Heroic Impetuous Query for the passive mastery and clickable 8% parry ("Blademaster") which helps keep Hold the Line up and is only on a 1 min CD (feel its a great choice) & Heroic Throngus's Finger for the passive parry (which also helps keep Hold the Line up) and it has the passive 1710 dodge rating when it procs, which when you see that go off (I think its called "Duelist"), you can combine it and click the parry trinket ("Blademaster") for massive avoidance gains right then, and again its on a 60 sec CD so having 2 massive trinkets that add mastery & avoidance, dodge and parry both on 1 min CD's are great for lower ended HP content or full melle fights.

For raiding and 10-25m I wear the Lifeblood Alchemist Stone with a 60 stam gem, and the Heroic Leaden Despair which both of them combined have a total of 440 + 427 stam. 867 stam on demand + 10% stam gain for wearing all plate gives you a final totaly of 953.7 stam just by switching out 2 trinkets after all the talents and stuff that boosts stam, is just tooooo good to pass up. Takes me from like 140k to over 155k, makes a difference. Bottom line, trinkets are made to be switched and interchanged so make the best of it.

You might try the mod "Trinketmaster" it lets you queue up trinkets so once you click one it auto switches to the next you set in the queue so you always have something up to use between pulls while the other is on cooldown, and when the cooldown of the initial one is over, it will automatically reswitch to the first one you have chosen in your queue, and it shows CD timers in bold on the trinkets so you can predict how long and when to expect them to be up. Its almost a staple for most tanks imo, at least for me.
    Last edited by trueX; 01-26-2011 at 10:53 PM.

I could have been mistaken and have the 333 iLvl, havent logged in a few days. Checked wowhead.com and seems your right it says "This item is not available to players" odd, thanks for the correction!

I also have a question regarding prot trinkets, is Dark moon card: Earthquake good at all?

I personally find it very under whelming.

I find the heroics 5 man alternatives so much better not to mention the Tol Barad mastery trinket.

The avoidence from the darkmoon card isnt that much different from other trinkets such as Heroic Throngus's Finger.

However the on use is very poor for an epic trinket.

A Hp boost Isnt quite as powerful as it used to be given Cata is designed about several attacks being required to kill a tank rather than the 1 or 2 shot of Wrath raids.

The on use will also just burn your healers mana trying to heal you with more HP when instead you could have a nice damage reduction CD that wont send them oom.

All in all if I was to go for a battlemaster type trinket that this it would have to be a far bigger hp boost and if it was a bigger boost I would probably use it to give healers more reaction time on a heroic raid boss pull when heavy damage is expected on the tanks.

Speculating here, maybe halfus heroic.

But I certainly wouldnt use it in its current state.

The Darkmoon card is great for Chimeron last phase however. That coupled with Last Stand + Guardian Spirit = Guaranteed surviving 3-4 hits!

Don't forget that along with the 1.6% parry from Throngus's Finger you gain 1710 dodge (9.8% before DR) for essentially 12 seconds out of every minute or 19% of the time, which is nothing to sneeze at either.
    Last edited by Beezi; 02-06-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added dodge percentage
    "Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street is the lead systems designer on World of Warcraft. He has four dogs: three epic retrievers and one green terrier suitable for disenchanting." - Ghostcrawler in his "Wow, Dungeons are Hard!" article. Only man alive that would shard his dog!

Prot Warrior Gear Question.

Which Tol Barad trinket is best for a prot warrior. I also have the alchemist stone but am trying to decide which trinket to buy for my second one

Those avoidance trinkets can be reforged to give extra mastery... did that with mine.

If you find yourself falling short of 77.4% unhittable, you might want to toss a reforged trinket on. Once you hit the 77.4% mark, your shield block ability becomes a 30% shield wall against physical damage that you can keep up pretty often, putting you at 102.4% unhittable. Also, remember that if your shield block is pushing you beyond 102.4%, any additional block is turned into critical block. I'm pretty sure the critical block transfer rate is still the same, though, at a percentage of your chance to block.

Once you're at the 77.4% mark, stamina becomes more valuable. But when we start seeing new tiers, becoming passively unhittable might be viable.

As for the TB trinkets... The one that gives mastery with a magic resist CD is pretty great for fights where you know you'll be seeing big magic hits.

+ Reply to Thread