+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Stats. Requesting Help!

Tanking Stats. Requesting Help!

Take a look at my armor please.

Other than upgrading items in general, which I'm in the process of. Are my avoidance stats good enough to start pumping in STA?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%c3%b8s/simple

Gemming usually goes:

blue socket: Mastery/stam gem.
    yellow socket: Mastery
    Red socket: Mastery/Parry
    Prismatic: Mastery

Nobody really 'pumps' stam, because the numbers are rediculously high as is.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Ok maybe I'm confused. I hear so many different things.

I've noticed that stat priority is STA > Mastery > Dodge / Parry

Now, in my noob head. I'm thinking, stack STA, it's the best stat. But then I hear people everywhere saying Cataclysm is different than WoTLK. STA comes in time, with gear naturally, and that we want to help healers by stacking Mastery and Avoidance. Smoother hits, rather than large crits. Now, what first? Ignore avoidance all together and just gem / enchant / gear for Mastery till some %? Or split mastery and avoidance stats till some %, than when they're capped, go for STA.

How do I read stats? What do I want? I'm hearing once we're at 10% dodge/parry, that we actually get DR, and that the more we raise, we're just wasting. I'm so fricken confused. What % do I want my Dodge / Parry / Mastery. Before I consider STA. Or should I consider ALL the stats at the exact same time, and have mixed everything...I'm freaking out here.

Short answer is: Yes go for mastery.

But that's not all of it and maybe it's a good idea if you don't do it blindly.

So your goal is, as you said, to make it easier for the healers. It would be a good idea to never take a normal hit. And that's exactly our goal. Or at least as near we can get there. In WoW every hit is calculated by a hit table. We want to remove normal hits from the hit tabel. That wuold be 100% Miss+Parry+Dodge+Block. However bosses are up to 3 level higher than us, so they have better chances to hit us, our values are just reduced against them. Instead of calculating this reduction into every stat we want to compare, we just simulate this with a bigger hit table of 102.4%. Ok now what stats do we have. In Cata you will always have 5% Miss. So we would have only to cover 97.4% with your stats. Well that's not possible with the gear at the moment.

But what IS possible is to use Shield Block. It gives you 25% additional block (and everything you don't need is converted to additional crit block). When SB is up, we only need 72.4% to cover with our own stats. And this is possible even with heroic 5man gear. That's the goal you want reach. Because SB can be up 1/3 of the time. And during this time, you KNOW that you will only get hits of 70% or even 40% of the orignal size - if at all. So you and your healer can plan around this. That's quit much. It's a small version of Shield Wall against melee hits on a much shorter CD. It's realy something you want to have.

We give up everything else for it. Sure we would miss out on threat stats like crit/haste/hit/expertise, because threat is no problem at all. We also don't have a problem to pass on the little Stam we could get instead (if you would go full out on stamina that would be about 8k or 5% of entry raid lvl HP, so not a big thing at all). And we even change over to partial hits (block) instead of avoidance (parry/dodge) because it's percentages scales much better than dodge and parry which also have diminshing returns.

So that's why we go for Mastery.

Now about dodge and parry. As long as you are not at 72.4% you get just more of the sum by having them near together. That's again because of diminishing returns. The DR is on the same level, since Cata. So you lose out on avoidance if one is much higher than the other.

Well parry is better for us, because of Hold the Line. But the effect of gaining or losing one or two percent on parry does not change HtL dramatically. Let parry be a little bit (1-3%) higher than dodge. But don't try to move all dodge into parry. That would be just contraproductive for your big goal of 72.4%.

If you have reached 72.4%, mastery stays to be good. You may start to think about other stuff, now. But since our goal to smothen our dmg income stays the same, the priorities don't change much.

How do I read stats? What do I want? I'm hearing once we're at 10% dodge/parry, that we actually get DR, and that the more we raise, we're just wasting. I'm so fricken confused. What % do I want my Dodge / Parry / Mastery. Before I consider STA. Or should I consider ALL the stats at the exact same time, and have mixed everything...I'm freaking out here.
    There is a lot of confusion about what DR's are. Basically, DR's are ALWAYS applied to Dodge and Parry except for your base amount. It is designed to scale back the return you get per point so that the numbers do not get astronomical. Parry and Dodge are subject to the same rate of DR now, so both are equal except for the HtL talent for warriors which makes parry more desireable.

Mastery is currently not subject to DR's. That is one of the main reasons for stacking it. The other reason is because being able to block the majority of hits will smooth out the damage instead of avoiding 6 hits in a row then taking 5 unmitigated and dying. Basically: Predictable damage is easier to heal than random damage right now. Small heals are mana-efficient, big heals are not.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Re: Tanking Stats. Requesting Help!

Well-said, Mel. I would add that some of the better tank trinkets proc off of parry, so one might prefer a bit more parry than dodge. Tho there is obviously a point where the dodge gain would be much higher than the parry, so it's a bit of a balancing act and to a certain extent subject to personal preference.

I currently have 73% avoidance.

However, I have 134k hps unbuffed.

That's really low is it not? Every tank I see on my server, is stacking STA gems. They all have 160k hps buffed. Should I lower my avoidance?

I think you are comparing your unbuffed character with their buffed toons. In comparable gear they will never be able to reach 160HP unbuffed. If you don't trust me - just add food (which has always stamina), maybe a flask, stamina buff and kings to your 134k and you will see that you are also around 160k. Btw adding a few more STA gems will not change much. Gems are just to small to matter against all the stam on you gear. Try it out on a character designer. Apply all the above mentioned buffs and then play aroud with switching gems aroun. You will see that they wil not change much for your health pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Etros View Post
    I currently have 73% avoidance.

However, I have 134k hps unbuffed.

That's really low is it not? Every tank I see on my server, is stacking STA gems. They all have 160k hps buffed. Should I lower my avoidance?
    You don't have 73% avoidance... Avoidance is Dodge + Parry, which a little less than 25% for you. You have 50% block. Plus 5% boss miss chance for a total of 80% Dodge + Parry + Block + Boss Miss%.

134k HP unbuffed isn't bad. Priest buff/command shout/food/etc you'll have plenty of health.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Ok so does that mean I have too much % to avoidance and block?

+ Reply to Thread