+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protection Warrior - 5 man heroics - Hit/Exp

Protection Warrior - 5 man heroics - Hit/Exp

Hi all
    I dont really intend on ever tanking raids, Im happy with 5 mans and I have been reforging all my gear to either mastery or parry. If an item has both mastery and parry then I wouldnt reforge it.. but I have noticed some of attacks are being dodged or parried now, including shield slams, so I have gone abit crazy and reforged to alot of expertise and some hit rating but I have a feeling I am doing wrong

I have asked a few of the well known prot warriors on my server but none like replying, I just want to know how much hit rating and expertise rating do I need to tank 5 mans.

I dont think being capped is necessary right? But having absolutely none at all isnt good either. So Id like to know what is a good number to have in both so I can tank good?

TL;DR

What is the recommended amount of Expertise and Hit Rating for a Prot Warrior in level 85 heroic 5 man dungeons

Please say in numbers, not percentage. Percentage always did confuse me :P

Thank you!

Anyone please?

There's no particular value. Whatever you can get is great, don't really go out of your way for it, though.

Dude i currently run with 2% hit and something like 5 expertise. Personally I feel I don't need more stats than this however I tank mostly in raid scenarios. Most warrior tanks agree atm that both hit and expertise should not be gemmed or reforged for. I understand your gear is probably not as good due to not having raid gear so you might not have as much base str etc. I would still argue not to gem/reforge for these however. If you seriously can not hold threat I would recommend expertise over hit since to my knowledge expertise is much more helpful to threat until you soft cap it that is. I would probably say if you are really having issues to just roll with the base threat stats on your gear and perhaps reforge some hit for expertise. You should be able to hold threat like that, worst case scenario you may have to mark a skull in dungeons. There is no specific amount of these you would want however, for the most part i reforge it all off of my gear not vice versa.
    He who is afraid to lose will never win.
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

I run with 3% hit and 2 expertise. You don't need it. The only moments where someone may be able to pull aggro from you is at the start - you have a never-missing taunt for it.

About your reforging: Dont blindly reforge to parry after mastery. Try to have parry and dodge at more or less an equal level, with parry a little bit higher than dodge. About 1-2% buffed. Because if you have about 15% and below 10% dodge you will have some deminishing returns on your parry nad nearly none on dodge. You will get a better combined avoidance level when you reforge some. Thouse are values I've seen quite often. Parry should be a little bit higher than dodge because of Hold The Line. But the benefit from Hold The Line will not vary greatly if you have part of a percentage more or less. While having more combined avoidance quite helps you survive.

Thank you guys will get rid of my exp reforges then

heres my avoidances btw
    * Armour
    Dodge
    8.11%
    Parry
    12.32%
    Block
    44.22%

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../dstrux/simple

so i removed all reforges now and my stats is like this

# Armour
    Dodge
    9.99%
    Parry
    11.38%
    Block
    42.20%

is this better now then?

I don't know why you did remove everything, it's worse than the post before, where you did go from expertise to mastery.

You want to have you combined Dodge + Parry + Block be at 72.4%. That's your first goal as a warrior tank with your reforging and geming. You should do all you can to reach this number. It's because when we are there we can use Shield Block and the boss will never be able to land a normal hit on us while it is up. You will always get an avoid or a block during this time and every hit you take will at least be 30% smaler than it normaly would have been. That's huge. And we can do it 1/3 of the time. We only need to reach this magic number. You can reach it easily with heroic gear.

Why 72.4%? We want to cover 100% of the bosses hit table with avoidance or block. A boss is up to 3lvl higher than we and for each lvl it's easier for the boss to hit us - our values are not worth as much as before. There are two ways to calculate this. We could either apply this reduction to all our ratings and have to do it for every change, or we just think about of a little bit bigger hit table. So instead of 100% a boss can cover up 102.4%. If you use this value you can compare the values on your character sheet directly with this number without the need to recalculate anything.

Ok, so we want to cover all this 102.4% with avoidance or block. Avoidance is the combination of boss misses, parry and dodge. Since we cannot adjust it anymore with the defense stat, misses will always be the base 5%. So we only have to reach 97.4% with our values. That's not possible with the gear in game. But we have Shield Block. It gives us an additional 25% of block. (What we don't use is converted to crit blocks.) Now the goal changes to 102.4% - 5% - 25% = 72.4%. That's all you have to cover with the stats on your gear.

When we are there, it's such a nice survival gain, that we don't mind to reduce every other stat we can. That's definitly true for pure threat stats as crit, haste, hit and expertise. It's also true for true avoidance, because block scales better than parry and dodge. Yes, we happly take 70%/40% hits to reach this goal when we would have the chance to get no hits at alll, just because the chances to get those partlial hits scales better than the aviodance. And we pass on Stam too, if it helps us to get the value (and most of us think that's a good idea to do even when we are past this magic number).

Quote Originally Posted by DStruct View Post
    so i removed all reforges now and my stats is like this

# Armour
    Dodge
    9.99%
    Parry
    11.38%
    Block
    42.20%

is this better now then?
    Your original reforge wasn't bad. (as in to reforge everything that's not mastery/parry/dodge into either of the 3) I would get more block (Mastery) and maybe balance Parry and Dodge out to somewhat of a closer number due to diminishing returns.

Cheers guys! And thanks for that detailed post aswel, so I need 72.4%!
    I did some changes after that second post btw, not sure if you checked my armory since but its now

Dodge
    10.49%
    Parry
    11.81%
    Block
    44.34%

I took your advice and reforged mostly the hit/exp to gain more avoidance!
    Before I wasnt doing that, and I was mainly reforging other avoidance stat into another avoidance stat which isnt really gaining more avoidance is it, its just splitting one value into two halfs (well 60 / 40) but yeah.
    Im not at 72.4 yet but I guess I need better gear with higher stat values for that, should get there soon!
    I am thinking that these new stats are good now, let me know if im going down the wrong road with this :P
    If not thanks!

Mastery is your best stat, when i said if you really need the threat to leave the reforging alone I meant for threat. 95% of warriors atm are completely reforging expertise/hit off their gear for mastery. Indeed dodge and parry should also be reforged off for mastery if possible. Mastery is your best stat atm.

From your armory it looks like your doing it right =P
    He who is afraid to lose will never win.
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

So similar to my resto shaman where its advised to get spirit on every item, prot warriors want mastery on every item.. yeah?
    Think I got it now
    Thanks all

Warrior stats

i just started prot a few days ago after i figured out that i didnt enjoy dps contests lmao but i was told that my hit still had to be at 8% with everything else going into mastery is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan89m View Post
    i just started prot a few days ago after i figured out that i didnt enjoy dps contests lmao but i was told that my hit still had to be at 8% with everything else going into mastery is this true?
    Nope. If you're doing your rotation right you don't need any Hit or Expertise at all, zero, zip, zilch, nada.

+ Reply to Thread