+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unsure If I'm Doing Badly or Not

Unsure If I'm Doing Badly or Not

I'm currently on trial in a moderately hardcore guild right now. I really like the guild, I have made some good friends, it has really good officers running it and the overall standard of pve from members is great. However I'm very worried about my trial. We do 10 and 25 man raids. Mostly 25.

I'm a very experienced player having played my priest for many years, I have assisted in leading raids and I have completed high end heroic modes in Wrath. The thing is that the new changes in my spec have thrown me off somewhat and I'm not going to throw in the towel, like so many others and spec holy instead.

I really am not sure if I'm doing well or not because I'm the only disc priest who is raiding so I don't have anyone to compare myself to. I can't properly measure the effectiveness of my healing output because that would mean comparing myself to specs and classes that work completely different to my own.

My healing output doesn't seem to be terrible. It's rare enough that I'm on the bottom and when I am there's always someone else who almost has the same output as I do. The thing is I never can quite get myself in the top three. Holy priests are constantly topping the meters with paladins and sometimes shamans not incredibly far behind.

I know that healing output on a chart is just a bunch of numbers and that it's not a true measure of skill. I know those numbers don't account for healing the wrong targets or for standing in the fire. But I must say it is very demoralising to be busting my ass at every raid and not seeming to be able to improve my numbers. To make matters worse, a holy priest has this idea that she's god's gift to the world and has indirectly said that I'm not pulling my weight and directly says that my spec is bad for raids (even though I more or less copied both recommended healing specs). She even tries to tell me how to heal despite having not played disc since before the launch of Cataclysm.

This is really getting me down and is beginning to affect my performance in raids. Instead of having my game-face on, I'm starting to go into boss fights just feeling like that no matter how hard I try, I'll never look like I'm pulling as much weight as some of the other specs/classes and I'll constantly have that priest looking down on me. It makes me wonder if others are feeling the same way but she's the only one with any guts to actually be open about it.

I'm not going to post my character's armory link or any logs to preserve my anonymity because I have heard that some of my guildies read these forums. Also, I want to preserve their anonymity because while one player in particular is getting on my nerves, she is very good at what she does and the rest of my raiding group have all been very nice to me so I don't want to give anyone a bad name.

What I can reveal is:

My raid healing spec:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfbcrosbsRMochMZb

My other spec, which I mostly use in five-mans:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfrorRsbsRMochM

My stats completely unbuffed:

Intellect: 4891
    Spirit: 2911
    Mastery: 10.71 (485 rating)

Spell Power: 6610
    Combat Mana Regen: 2731
    Haste: 7.95%
    Crit: 12.58%

In 25 man I'm usually at about 9 - 12% healing done while those who are topping the charts are at 12 - 16%. It depends on the fight and assignments. In 10 man my healing is never at the top but the gap between myself and the other healers is generally much smaller.

So what I want to know is, if anyone can tell me, from the information I have given, am I generating the amount of healing that I should be for my spec? Enough so that I can ignore that priest and hope those who are judging my trial know that I am doing enough? If not, then how should I change my spec or stats?
    Last edited by Torch; 01-24-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Power Word: Barrier is uber for any situation where the raid is clumped and taking damage (Cho'Gall or Chimaeron spring to mind, although it has a use on almost every fight). It's an amazing cooldown, and there is no reason to not spec it.

Soul Warding is a pretty bad talent, in my opinion. It really is not hard to work around a 3 second cooldown - stagger your casts a bit and make use of that +14% haste proc.

If you want to see what I recommend, http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGoMRsbcRMochMZb is my smite spec and http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhcMosbfRMochMZb is my spec for fights without lulls where I can smite (or, for tank-healing, where Strength of Soul is currently decent but will become even better with the incoming patch)(or for fights where I use Inner Will for the move speed).

But this is the big thing, do not copy your spec and let it be. Healing is subjective, and what is a great talent for someone else's playstyle or situation may be mediocre for yours. (Unless it's Power Word: Barrier, in which case it's amazing for anyone anywhere anytime.)

As far as your stats, you neglect to mention what your Mastery is at.

As far as healing meters, being within a few % depending on the fight is fine. I think what your officers and raid leaders are looking at is - does this person stand in the fire, etc. Not "zomg they're losing on HPS by a small margin!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sebadoh View Post
    Power Word: Barrier is uber for any situation where the raid is clumped and taking damage (Cho'Gall or Chimaeron spring to mind, although it has a use on almost every fight). It's an amazing cooldown, and there is no reason to not spec it.
    My apologies, that was actually an error on my part when quickly making the talent trees. I do have Power Word: Barrier on both specs. The only real difference between them is that one has the Smite Utility and the other doesn't. It was roughly 4am where I am when I posted, I was probably tired. I edited the post to show the spec correctly. And yes, I agree that it is amazing. I would never spec without it.

Soul Warding is a pretty bad talent, in my opinion. It really is not hard to work around a 3 second cooldown - stagger your casts a bit and make use of that +14% haste proc.
    This was something I had been thinking of last night actually, seeing as it's fairly rare when I cast two Power Word: Shields in succession but there doesn't seem to be anything I can take instead that would actually make a noticeable difference, except maybe for Strength of Soul, which I personally believe only needs one point.

If you want to see what I recommend, http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGoMRsbcRMochMZb is my smite spec and http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhcMosbfRMochMZb is my spec for fights without lulls where I can smite (or, for tank-healing, where Strength of Soul is currently decent but will become even better with the incoming patch)(or for fights where I use Inner Will for the move speed).
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is it even worth anyone's time to take more than one point in Strength of Soul right now if they want to take advantage of Rapture?

As far as your stats, you neglect to mention what your Mastery is at.
    Well I did show it but I edited my post to show the rating.

As far as healing meters, being within a few % depending on the fight is fine. I think what your officers and raid leaders are looking at is - does this person stand in the fire, etc. Not "zomg they're losing on HPS by a small margin!"
    It's good to hear that my output is acceptable for my role then, especially from another discipline priest. Thanks for informing me. It has made me feel more sure about what I'm doing.

It's a case of too many good talents, not enough talent points. Using the SoS mechanic to get more frequent Rapture procs is good practice, even if it's not feasible during periods of heavy raid damage. I don't find it necessary with my mana pool/regen currently. If I did, I would take a point from Darkness to get 1/2 Strength of Soul.

Anyways, I'm not the absolute best raider in the world, so having a Rapture timer is just another thing to distract me from the fight mechanics and my healing frames. I'm a big fan of keeping a less cluttered UI, because I can't pay attention to a million things at once :-P

And sorry if I didn't see your mastery in the initial post (brain fart, evidently).

Is your haste number copied directly from the character tab? If so, your haste is much higher than your crit and especially your mastery. Unless you're a pure tank healer (in which case mastery is generally worse than crit), you want to keep the three relatively even.

I get the feeling that you know what you're doing for the most part, but are just kinda out of your element. Been there, done that. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll do fine :-D

All the stats I have given have been copied from the character tab while being completely unbuffed. My role in the raid is rarely the same from fight to fight. Sometimes I'm tank healing, sometimes I'm raid healing, sometimes I'm mostly tank healing while helping heal some of the raid, sometimes the other way around...my raid leaders tell me that this is happening because they're trying to figure out where discipline works best. I'm starting to think that it's also because discipline is flexible enough to do either tank or raid healing, unlike holy priests or paladins, who have incredible strength in some areas but are lacking in others.

That is partially why I stuck with discipline despite how inferior it is (though not useless) compared to holy for raid healing. I like to be flexible and like to be able to cover for another healer if they're incapacitated. Having the tools that let me tank or raid heal lets me do that.

As for Rapture, I was recommended a mod for tracking it's cooldown. It's very lightweight, clear and easily customisable. What it basically does is; when Rapture procs, a bar will appear and empties itself until Rapture is off cooldown. A message will appear on the screen telling you this, accompanied by sound. The customisability allows you to turn off the bar/message/sound and to change the sizes of the bar and message. I have it set to show the bar directly above where my healing actionbars are, so I don't miss it. The message is set to appear on top of my character, so that it is prominent but does not impede raid warnings or DBM timers. I'm also a fan of having a no-nonsense clear ui.

A link to the mod: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...asrapture.aspx

Right now I'm just praying that the patch comes before my trial is over because I really am feeling like I could use the boost discipline is in dire need of.

I don't know enough about disc at the moment, because when I play my priest I play holy. However I know that solely looking at healing meters is NOT how you evaluate healers. At least you should include absorbs, but I just think it was covered. Healers will have different outputs because of the targets they are assigned to heal. A holy priest assigned to cover the raid may have more total healing than someone who is assigned to heal a tank who maybe does not need extrem heals most of the time, while need a constant flow of incoming heals. If you are assigned to heal that tank, you would not perform better by blowing all your mana into overhealing the tank, or throwing rdm heals into the raid while losing your grace stack on the tank. Even when the holy priest may be throwing around PoH on the raid at the same time.

You evaluate a healer by how good she is able to do the assigned job. If your tanks are feeling save when they are healed by you that's much better than if they feel like a jojo while you producing high numbers on healing the raid. On the other hand, if you are assigned to heal the raid, heals/shields that save single players from death are much more important than spaming big heals on people who will not die in the next seconds, anyway. You have to look. On the same time it's important if the healer is good at reducing incoming dmg. You should be good at reacting to the encounter mechanics and not get hit by avoidable stuff. You also have CDs like Pain Suppression and Holy Grip. They can be very good to counter dangerous situations. A healer who can do stuff like this well, is much better then the one who just is good in throwing as much heals around as she can.

It's the difference between a good player who happens to play a healer and a medicore player who happens to play a healer. It's relatively easy to up your healing output through improving or fine tuning your gear or to fine tune your talents than to learn this situational awareness. I hope your raid leaders recognise stuff like this and evaluates you accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzazi View Post
    You evaluate a healer by how good she is able to do the assigned job. If your tanks are feeling save when they are healed by you that's much better than if they feel like a jojo while you producing high numbers on healing the raid. On the other hand, if you are assigned to heal the raid, heals/shields that save single players from death are much more important than spaming big heals on people who will not die in the next seconds, anyway. You have to look. On the same time it's important if the healer is good at reducing incoming dmg. You should be good at reacting to the encounter mechanics and not get hit by avoidable stuff. You also have CDs like Pain Suppression and Holy Grip. They can be very good to counter dangerous situations. A healer who can do stuff like this well, is much better then the one who just is good in throwing as much heals around as she can.

It's the difference between a good player who happens to play a healer and a medicore player who happens to play a healer. It's relatively easy to up your healing output through improving or fine tuning your gear or to fine tune your talents than to learn this situational awareness. I hope your raid leaders recognise stuff like this and evaluates you accordingly.
    QFT I have ran with healers that I trust completely over better geared healers because I know they have my back.

Re: Unsure If I'm Doing Badly or Not

Just a thought, but did you check overhealing done? If that isn't already subtracted from total healing done, subtract it and see what happens to the ranking. Also, disc bubbles count as absorbs, not heals, so I think you should add those numbers to your healing done. I never played a priest and barely healed on my pally at all, I just thought maybe that one ranking isn't telling the whole story. I believe, however, if you want pure healing you go holy while if you want a swiss army priest you go disc. So your value is more than just your total healing done.

Edit: talked to a priest friend and he says I'm right. So keep your chin up!

+ Reply to Thread