+ Reply to Thread

Thread: druid gemming

druid gemming

with a tanking spot now open in my guild, i volentered my druid, and ive started to get some good gear, (very little with gem sockets yet) but my question is, how am i goin to gem my bear now, im thinking agi/stam for red pure mastry for yellow and mastry stam for yellow sockets with a useful socket bonous? but since leather never has a dodge/stam bonous, do i just ignore all the bonouses and gem all agi/stam agi mastry?

with threat being a non issue right now, im thinking a haste/crit bonous might be useful for a threat set, but for progressing through the normal encounters i dont see a real use for these bonouses

Quote Originally Posted by joe1010011010 View Post
    with a tanking spot now open in my guild, i volentered my druid, and ive started to get some good gear, (very little with gem sockets yet) but my question is, how am i goin to gem my bear now, im thinking agi/stam for red pure mastry for yellow and mastry stam for yellow sockets with a useful socket bonous? but since leather never has a dodge/stam bonous, do i just ignore all the bonouses and gem all agi/stam agi mastry?

with threat being a non issue right now, im thinking a haste/crit bonous might be useful for a threat set, but for progressing through the normal encounters i dont see a real use for these bonouses
    Personally I'd probably only go for the socket bonuses where they provide agility, stamina and mastery and ignore the rest. I'd even reforge any haste and crit on your gear to dodge/mastery (whatever is currently the best of those two for bears).

With the way vengeance is working at the moment, so long as your dps can count to five, threat hasn't been a problem for me, so personally I'm focusing on survival stats (dodge/mastery) over threat stats (hit/exp etc).

Taken from the sticking over in the wow forums - All credit goes to Reesi I am merely trying to help

Gems -

Gemming has a bit of an option now. It isn't just "zerg the heck out of stamina to live". Yes, Stam is still somewhat important, but not as much with gems. Good socket bonuses ought to be gemmed for now. What constitutes as a good bonus? Just about anything with an Agility or Mastery or Stam bonus. This means more hybrid gems.

The following gems are the best for survival:

Austere Shadowspirit Diamond
    Delicate Inferno Ruby
    Polished Ember Topaz
    Shifting Demonseye
    Regal Dream Emerald

The not recommended, but usable, gems:

Solid Ocean Sapphire
    Puissant Dream Emerald
    Guardian's Demonseye
    Accurate Demonseye
    Adept Ember Topaz

For normal content there's plenty of stam on our gear already, so gemming for it only serves to give a little bit of extra cushion in the event our healer lags or we take an unexpected spike.

My rule of thumb is to use two Regal Dream Emerald (stam/dodge) or Polished Ember Topaz (agi/dodge) to activate my meta, then gem pure agi from that point forward UNLESS there is an agi/mastery bonus, in which case I'll throw Shifting Demonseye (agi/stam) for the blue slots and the afore-mentioned in yellow or red.

As of now, I'm sitting at an average ilvl of 351 with 143k hp and 34% dodge self-buffed. In a 10m raid situation, those numbers increase to around 163k and 37-38%.

So to recap, stacking stam ins't the best way to go, stack agi.

I like how bear gemming is almost identical to cat gemming. The gap in surival or DPS between cat gear and bear gear is much smaller than before, it's down to enchants (shoulder/head/legs) or your talents that make or break you.

Quote Originally Posted by Finbarr View Post
    For normal content there's plenty of stam on our gear already, so gemming for it only serves to give a little bit of extra cushion in the event our healer lags or we take an unexpected spike.

My rule of thumb is to use two Regal Dream Emerald (stam/dodge) or Polished Ember Topaz (agi/dodge) to activate my meta, then gem pure agi from that point forward UNLESS there is an agi/mastery bonus, in which case I'll throw Shifting Demonseye (agi/stam) for the blue slots and the afore-mentioned in yellow or red.

As of now, I'm sitting at an average ilvl of 351 with 143k hp and 34% dodge self-buffed. In a 10m raid situation, those numbers increase to around 163k and 37-38%.

I am on 31% dodge and around 170k unbuffed.

I pref HP over Dodge, and after next patch i will reforge ALL my dodge to expertise and hit, and get more stam in gems =).

76% Armor in next patch OH HELL YEAH! - Thank You Blizz =)

I pref HP over Dodge, and after next patch i will reforge ALL my dodge to expertise and hit, and get more stam in gems =),
    ARE U INSANE!
    Your dodge is already barely high enuff for heroics and you gonna lower it?
    No matter how much stam is added you will be a paper tank and healers will hate you.
    Go back to wrath dungeons; stam sponging is dead in Cata!
    "It's always the Healer's fault; unless it's the Tanks fault, just ask the DPS'er in purples doing 5k!"

Quote Originally Posted by Uranos7 View Post
    ARE U INSANE!
    Your dodge is already barely high enuff for heroics and you gonna lower it?
    No matter how much stam is added you will be a paper tank and healers will hate you.
    Go back to wrath dungeons; stam sponging is dead in Cata!
    Seriously!

From my experience, wipes in Cata are usually caused by healers going OOM before the boss dies. Any healer will tell you that in Cata their heals actually hit for less than they did in wrath, meaning that while our (and everyone else's) health has more than doubled in the expansion, healers are having to work much harder than before in order to keep us up.

For normal raid content, 155k or so will keep you from getting one-shot unless you are bad, like standing in fire, or turn your back to the boss. Any additional stamina over that threshold is affected by diminishing returns, as healers will need to spend more energy keeping you up. By stacking mitigation/avoidance from that point on, you'll take less damage, require less healing, and allow your healers to conserve mana for themselves and other raid members.

+ Reply to Thread