+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odd change I noticed...

Odd change I noticed...

Many in this community know of Xav from the guild Premonition. I usually use that toon as a basis for gemming/ gearing, etc.. Since the beginning of Cata, the character has stacked Mastery/ Parry/ Dodge, in that order, to the exclusivity of most other stats.

However, I recently noticed (this week) that the toon completely switched reforging to cap hit and go over the expertise soft cap. I know interrupts are important on some fights, but I was wondering if there was a logical explanation I was missing concerning the character's change? The only other reason I can think of is maximizing damage, since both interrupts and damage are crucial on HM Nef.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/senjin/xav/simple

I notice that using the 5% chance to miss, the toon is still unhittable when Shield Block is up.

BTW, this is by no means scientific, and rather subjective. However, I put a good chunk of trust in someone who downs hard mode content as consistently as Xav.

Any thoughts?
    Squirrel, your pants are weak.

Xav gears and talents for specific encounters fairly normally. If there's a specific mechanic that favors hit on one of the fights, he'll take it. If the mechanic favors mastery, he'll take that. I wouldn't read too much into it.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

That's what I was thinking too. Obviously, heroic gear gives him more flexibility in stat allotment as well, but I'm just wondering what encounter it's for, and perhaps whether reforging and stats should be adjusted after a certain level of gear? I'm curious to see if he switches back to avoidance or keeps the hit/expertise going into other fights as well.

If he went past expertise "soft cap", he's either found a fight he feels he has to have as much threat as possible, or he found a fight he doesn't want to proc parry haste on. Since I haven't heard anyone talk about Parry haste in a while, he probably just wants to push threat.

Reev hit it on the head. Bottom line is the people on the bleeding edge of progression can, and often do, afford luxuries well beyond that of normal everyday players. It isn't unbelievable that they could spend thousands of gold regemming, reforging, re-enchanting, respecing, reglyphing, regearing just to meet the needs of a specific encounter.

Everything you can do to optimize your character, people who can afford to do so may very well do that.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

My main thought is why it's NOT threat is because threat hasn't been an issue this whole expansion, outside of the opening seconds of a fight. It seems odd there would be a fight where a dramatic shift would happen that would change that, outside of a non-tauntable tank switch, which I have yet to see, though it might be there for a heroic encounter.

My theory was damage, just because a warrior tank can push another 2k-3k damage pretty easily if he/she wants to go for the hit and expertise. My other thought is that an interrupt is necessary that no one else can provide, such as on a pillar add for Nefarion, which I imagine Premonition is working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Byronius View Post
    My main thought is why it's NOT threat is because threat hasn't been an issue this whole expansion, outside of the opening seconds of a fight.
    This is a bad assumption to make when talking about some of the best DPS in the world.

Well, a week ago, he avoided hit and expertise like the plague. He was literally no higher than 5 expertise and 2-3% hit, which is the point of the thread and the reason for my assumption. I don't think dps changed that dramatically in one weeks time. Also, threat has been a joke for any tank that knows his/her rotation for the entirety of the expansion thus far.

As he has held threat before, there would have to be a mechanic I'm not aware of that makes someone generate massive amounts of threat that they didn't before, which is possible (the mind control mechanic on Nef) but somewhat improbable, since within a minute or two, you're usually 2-3 million threat ahead of dps. At hit/ exp caps, you're even farther away, which is a waste of stat allocation that you could be using to take less damage/ more consistent damage.

I'm not disregarding the idea that threat might be the issue, but it seems highly unlikely unless there is a mechanic tweaking the normal threat paradigm. If that's the answer, I'll gladly accept it.

Much more likely to be interrupts than anything else.

Premo is not working on Nef atm. To my knowledge they downed ascendance council last week, which was when i first noticed him reforging for these stats. As soon as they killed the boss he reforged back to mastery. I would say it is merely for ascendance council because the bosses really don't hit very hard, it is more of a mechanic fight, maximum threat is needed as well. And the real issue is p3 where they all combine. This phase is where damage really matters, tank damage is not an issue, it's raid healing which gets consistently more intense. The faster this boss dies the better, and while threat isn't a big issue a couple of seconds can be the difference between a kill and a wipe. To my knowledge premo is now working on cho'gal since basically 0 guilds have killed Nef, besides paragon who did it when a specific mechanic gave them more dps than usual which has been reverted. It isn't for kicking to my knowledge it's the dps increase for a low tank damage fight where max threat and dps are needed. He did it right before they killed ascendant council and I am willing to bet he did it again this week for the same encounter.
    He who is afraid to lose will never win.
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

You should probably try asking him. I notice people swapping to hit/exp a lot. Could be a fight, could be they are done raiding for a day or two and they wanna cap cause missing sucks. Any days I'm not raiding, I forge my hit/expertise back. I put it back on when it's time to raid again, lol. You probably won't find the answer to your question on these forums. That is, unless he started using tankspot again.

Well, if he's the tank that tanks fledius [or w/e the frost boss name is] and they don't want their dps to waste time on interupts [Tbh, when it's time to switch on the fire boss, you need all your dps to do so and none can be spared to interupt, spacially in 10 man], it's very likly the tank to have hit/exp caps.

I know I wiped the raid a few times when we had a parried or dodged interupt happen [I'm not too fond of hit/exp, avoiding those aswell]. Rising flame + ice lance is a killer to any cloth/leather/mail dps.

+ Reply to Thread