+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Promo Video: Introduction to Raid in Cataclysm.

Thumbs up Promo Video: Introduction to Raids in Cataclysm.

This video is a promo for team "Knight Raiders" from guild "Jane Doe" on EU-Terokkar (Guild Website: http://www.janedoe.eu)

Does it look like Epic Video?

UPDATE:
    Video available here http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=179321

Guild Website: http://www.janedoe.eu
    Last edited by Severino; 06-29-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Guild website link added

It just isn't the same without a talking car.
    Joking aside, if you're looking for straight constructive feedback on the video and how you could improve it...

1. I'd recommend disabling your view port when recording non-fight content for video production. Depending on your view port addon you could simply write a macro to toggle it on and off as needed. There is no reason the video without your UI needs to be restricted to the same viewport as your UI.

2. I think you can shorten some of the fade to black, some of them seem longer than others. Some of the fades are more faster transitions while others are much slower and it just seems odd that they vary in length so much. Also a bunch of them are too close together. I'd say the frequency of the fading in and out is a bit too often, particularly when it isn't switching between fight and non-fight mode. Like around the 1:40 - 1:50 timeframe you have it fade between two separate shots of just your group standing at a location, deja vu (even though it is a different location). You could have possably done both text overlays on a single video clip, or spread them further apart so that you aren't seeing the exact same thing twice in a row.

3. Your chat window extends up into the world frame when it probably doesn't have to. If you matched the height of that with your viewport you could more easily block it out without it looking too tacky, if there is anything in it you want to censor (such as real id names). You can black box it out without it looking as bad if it didn't extend that high. This is just a good idea in general when recording actual gameplay, just in case something pops up you don't want shown.

4. You did the opening for Magmaw in black and white. While this is a nice sort of style to use for sort of "flashback" moments, hey we already did this, it stands out like a sore thumb cause it's the only time that style was used. Perhaps more could have used this style as well.

Overall it's a good video. Hope you find some of that feedback helpful in making your next video more epic.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Also, in your credits you list the members of the raid, however probably don't credit the one thing you may need to, the music. Unless the music is your own composition or something you have the rights to use via general public use liscence or royalty free music you should really include crediting them for their work, it's the very least you could do. I'm not familar with the music personally so I can't say if you have the rights to use it or not.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quinafoi, thanks for your detailed reply
    You have noticed all details and problems which I had
    Viewport disabling - good idea, I need to do it next time
    Fading in and out effect vary and it requires correction - more work and polishing
    Dublication of two episods -yes, you have noticed it
    For me - it's always not enough of chat frame, but for video - perhaps it's good idea to use some black box to hide it..
    Black and white episodes - yes, it was once in video and it's interesting approach. I will keep it in mind for my next works.. Thanks for tips
    Music - I guess I need to mention it next time. Tron Legacy here.
    I think I also need to use more professional tools to move to the next level.
    ---------------------
    Thanks for your point of view. Perhaps you have experience of making video? if so, what tool are you using?
    Last edited by Severino; 01-17-2011 at 11:33 AM.

I'm not very good at it myself. I've gotten a little better over the Wrath expansion but nothing really more advanced than anything you've already done. I personally use VirtualDub for encoding/filtering. It's free and does allow for a lot of functionality, but no where near as robust or easy to use as more professional products like Sony Vegas.

+ Reply to Thread