Thread: Kiting Chimaeron?

Kiting Chimaeron?

Has anyone attempted or discussed the possibility of kiting Chimaeron entirely out of his room during Phase 2? It's an idea that occurred to me as my guild was wiping and learning the fight last night:

1) Chimaeron doesn't appear to reset when he leaves his room.
    2) Offtank DPS is not critical for Phase 2.
    3) Achievement calls for minimizing deaths (which means Phase 2 unless you screwed up).

Proposed strategy:

1) At 23% or so, the offtank high-tails it out of the room. Like, all the way. Back to the elevator or further.
    2) At Phase 2, Chimaeron focuses on the main tank who kites within the room itself, using whatever abilities and cooldowns are available to survive as long as possible.
    3) Once the main tank is down, Chimaeron will focus on the offtank who is in Alabama by now.
    4) The trip out to the elevator should give ranged DPS plenty of time to finish off Chimaeron and snag the achievement.

Should the strategy prove difficult, #3 on threat might choose to remain in the room while Chimaeron makes his walkabout. This way when the offtank dies (death #2) Chimaeron will have to make the trip all the way back to his roost - another chance for your DPS to take him out and STILL get the achievement.

Thoughts?

The idea sounds interesting, however there is one deciding factor whether this would work or not:
    - How fast is Chimaeron walking in Phase2?
    You are right, kiting him out of his room is a reasonable idea - in case your DPS can keep up with the boss. You have to keep in mind, that even if Chimaeron walks "only" with 130% walkspeed, you could theoretically use aspect of the pack from a Hunter to keep up with him. But for one, caster won't do too much damage anymore and two, NPCs tend to walk the shortest possible line around corners, which a human can't do.
    --> Your idea works in case you can keep up with the boss. And if that's the case, you can theoretically kite him for hours, since your tank would be fast enough to constantly run in circles aswell.

But even if you can't keep up with Chimaeron, the area near the Elevator looks perfectly fine to abuse mob-pathing. A clever warlock could certainly kill him from 20% to zero there.

He gets a +150% movement speed upon hitting his enrage timer.

This indeed limits the kiting. However, the ramp near the elevator would still provide much more possibilities for kiting - if you have enough time left. Further, unlike Maloriak and Atramedes, he is not leashed to the room alone, so this may even be intended to some degrees..

How long is the enrage timer?

Eight minutes, iirc.

Not sure on the logistics of this, especially with his speed buff, but I'm not against giving it a try with my team this weekend. I'm making sure everyone has a stack of Swiftness Potions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamoth View Post
    This indeed limits the kiting. However, the ramp near the elevator would still provide much more possibilities for kiting - if you have enough time left. Further, unlike Maloriak and Atramedes, he is not leashed to the room alone, so this may even be intended to some degrees..

How long is the enrage timer?
    Do you mean something like this?

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...P2KitePath.jpg

I thought he did something very nasty to you if you go too far out of his room during combat? Its very hard to kite him with his large hitbox and movespeed though.

The problems we had with kiting in the room was that he bolts away so fast that the dps can't actually keep up to dps him. So he would bolt to the person at the entrance of the room and kill them and the guy would be dead as the dps caught up to Chimaeron again to resume hurting him.

You're best off doing a tank swap right before the transition (So your offtank has him with 0 stacks of break) and just slamming him with reduction cooldowns and not trying to kite at all. If you can get a mage with Mirror Images 3rd on your aggro list too that buys you like another 15 seconds after your 2 tanks go down.

We'd have had the achievement quite a few times doing that but we usually have a death/bres during the fight itself which counts against your 2 deaths.

We got the achievement with only 1 death (main tank, taking the Break debuffs) while I was off tanking as a bear fairly easily. We tanked him normally in the front left corner as you enter the room, as he hits 22% I went cat and dashed to the far corner, while we had a ret and holy pally use Lay on Hands to top off the tanks. When he hit 20%, holy pally used Hand of Protection on the MT, boss ran to me. When he got close, MT clicked off HoP and he ran back. When he died, the boss ran again across the entire room to me, where I popped Barkskin + SI at the same time, used my Engineer belt absorb, and got PW:S. When I got to 1 HP I popped Frenzied Regen (puts you at 30% HP again so you still have the protection of being over 10k) and he died before I took another hit. I believe Guardian Spirit will also prevent you from dying should you hit 1 HP, but it won't heal you, you just don't die.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellanca View Post
    Yes, that's basically what I though. It should work. The huge Hitbox makes it much harder though, the boss is too fast for Meelees and maybe even casters and the enrage makes it nearly impossible to do consistently. Further it's a huge change from the standard.

In my opinion - the idea is fine, but doing it the standard way seems easier as of now.

My achievement came in with a proper transition. Everyone healed up before P2 starts (half way in a fued). Pally and I (prot war) popped trinkets etc (the parry on use trinket from lost city is excellent)
    Nefarian - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYQUBHCacc
    Cho'gall - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJdZxipzeao

Why kite him? Melee wont be able to keep up, and he will catch up rather quickly, not to mention he has a 5 second swing timer, that along with the movement speed increase is designed to discourage kiting. Just stop dps at 25% wait for massacre and then burn him once everyone is topped off.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com