+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shield Block bug?

Shield Block bug?

• A bug has been fixed where the Shield Block ability granted 25% more critical block chance than was intended for Protection warriors with very high total chance to avoid attacks.

Owie.

O_o... so wait, you'd reach 77.4% hit shield block get 102.4% and it grandted 25% extra crit block ALSO? that's ridiculous O_o.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

...I thought that was intentional and a big reason why we were so hard pressed to get to the "cap".

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    O_o... so wait, you'd reach 77.4% hit shield block get 102.4% and it grandted 25% extra crit block ALSO? that's ridiculous O_o.
    Actually, as far as I have seen, it just seemed to ALWAYS give the 25% crit block (atleast when I tested it on my 80 Warrior in 4.0.1 > 4.0.3) , which led me to believe that was how it was intended from the start. Sad that it isn't so, really cuts into Mastery's value for damage reduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

the way i always read the patch notes for it was that any overflow over 102.4% became added to crit block chance. so at 102.4% hitting shield block gave 25% crit block, at 77.4% it provided 0, and at say 87.4% it granted 15% crit block. I assumed that's how everyone's calculations were being determined as well, 77.4% with shield block making you at 102.4% is still equivalent to popping a mini shield wall (30% reduced damage for 10 seconds every 30 seconds), it's just not gonna have some sorta super high chance of being an ACTUAL shield wall at 60%

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yeah the 25% was completely unintended. Basically you would get a free 25% crit just for hitting the cap, and then the excess was added on top of that. We had noticed it awhile ago in our guild and how imbalanced it made warrior tanks. Now we are a bit more properly balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    Actually, as far as I have seen, it just seemed to ALWAYS give the 25% crit block (atleast when I tested it on my 80 Warrior in 4.0.1 > 4.0.3) , which led me to believe that was how it was intended from the start. Sad that it isn't so, really cuts into Mastery's value for damage reduction.
    That's my concern. That likely means we're going to need how new intersection point analysis of how dodge/parry/block interact with one another.

Actually it doesn't cut into Mastery's value. Shield Block the ability was bugged in that it gave an additional 25% critical block that wasn't intended. This does not alter how much block and critical block you gain from mastery. The value of mastery is unchanged, the value of the ability shield block is changed (to correct the unintended bug).

Reaching and maintaining the "unhittable" threshold and having additional overflow converted into critical block doesn't change, it is still something you will strive for. How much of that mastery was pushed over the cap was not altered by the change to shield block. The only thing that was altered was the 25% additional critical block that wasn't intended. The additional critical block gained from Mastery is the same cause that's how much Mastery you have over the soft cap. Mastery's value is still the same. Run the math.

Your priorities as a warrior do not change as a result of the change to this ability.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

So basically it works now how I had already assumed it was working in the first place. Not really a big deal, and doesn't negate the value of mastery at all.

I just don't understand why it would take them 2 months to fix this since it was known before the cata launch that it gave more critical block. Almost thought it was intended to make up for the lack of magical damage reduction and it even displayed on the buff icon that you would get some 30+% crit block.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Actually it doesn't cut into Mastery's value. Shield Block the ability was bugged in that it gave an additional 25% critical block that wasn't intended. This does not alter how much block and critical block you gain from mastery. The value of mastery is unchanged, the value of the ability shield block is changed (to correct the unintended bug).
    Wrong, the value of Mastery IS dependant on Shield Block. Your average block value will be less (because you don't get 25% crit block every 30s), thus the value of block chance coming from Mastery is less.

Reaching and maintaining the "unhittable" threshold and having additional overflow converted into critical block doesn't change, it is still something you will strive for. How much of that mastery was pushed over the cap was not altered by the change to shield block. The only thing that was altered was the 25% additional critical block that wasn't intended. The additional critical block gained from Mastery is the same cause that's how much Mastery you have over the soft cap. Mastery's value is still the same. Run the math.
    Sure, reaching Unhittability does not change, but the damage reduction you gain from that has. Because you no longer gain 25% crit block on Shield Block, the average damage reduction from being SB-Unhittable is reduced.
    Pure and simple math:
    25% crit block * SB uptime * Block chance * 30% = ~1.2% overall damage reduction lost (with 40% Block chance outside of SB)
    If you look at Mastery:
    (1 + crit block + SB_crit) / (1 + crit block) = ~6% (with 30% crit block) loss in block chance 'value'.
    If you go for Burst Time models, you'll see a giant gap, because SB upped you crit block chance that high, reducing the chance on even a normal block to <20%
    In fact, it would eventually (in T12 HM gear) have been worth considering capping Mastery to 50% crit block & passive Unhittable so SB would give guaranteed 60% reduction on hits.

Your priorities as a warrior do not change as a result of the change to this ability.
    That much remains true.

Because you no longer gain 25% crit block on Shield Block,
    The value of Shield Block has decreased.
    The value of critical block you gain from Mastery, the stat, does not change.

How much Mastery overflow that was caused by Shield Block pushing you to the unhittable threshold does not change, all that changes is the bugged value of an additional 25% from Shield Block that was unintended. How much of your Mastery that is overflow doesn't change. The value of the Shield Block ability has decreased (to its intended values), not the value of the Mastery.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

The value of Mastery without SB has not changed, but the value of Mastery while SB is up has.
    Meaning, if I add 1 Mastery to my Warrior, he still gains the same as much as he used to while SB is on CD.
    But during CD, I gain less damage reduction from this point in Mastery, because I don't get the 25% crit block on the block chance I got from it.
    Result: a loss in damage reduction per mastery when I use SB on CD (as I should)

The value of Mastery without SB has not changed, but the value of Mastery while SB is up has.
    Meaning, if I add 1 Mastery to my Warrior, he still gains the same as much as he used to while SB is on CD.
    But during CD, I gain less damage reduction from this point in Mastery, because I don't get the 25% crit block on the block chance I got from it.
    Result: a loss in damage reduction per mastery when I use SB on CD (as I should)
    But that 25% crit block is from Shield Block, not from Mastery. How much critical block you gain from Mastery is unchanged. Again, it was a bug in the Shield Block ability which gave you an unintended side effect. Mastery was not bugged and functioning correctly, when the overflow point occurs it converts to critical block. Shield Block pushes you to the overflow point. If you gain 5% additional Critical Block cause you hit 107.4% when Shield Block was active from Mastery, you still gain that exact same 5% after this change. You just no longer gain the additional 25% that was a bug.

That 25% came from Shield Block... not from Mastery.

Increasing your Mastery by 1 point will increase your Critical Block by the same amount both during and outside of the Shield Block cooldown once this threshold is reached as it does after the fix. Increasing mastery by 1, gives you 3% critical block when over the cap. Increasing your mastery by 1 gives you 1.5% critical block before the cap. The fact that you were getting something like 40% increased critical block instead of the intended 15% increased is a bug cause Shield Block was giving an additional 25% when it shouldn't have. It does not alter the portion of that which was from Mastery (in that case 15%).
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.

I'm not talking about how much stats you get, I'm talking about how useful they are.

Simply put:
    Shield Block adding 25% crit block ups the average amount you block.
    Mastery also gives block chance.
    The total reduction from wearing a shield = Block chance * 30% * (1 + crit block chance) = 30% * [ Block + Block * Crit_Block ]
    If the average block value is reduced, the average damage reduction gained from 1% block chance is reduced, regardless if it comes from mastery or SB.
    Similar, if you reduce the average block chance, the average value of crit block is reduced.

Compare it to Heavy Repurcussions:
    If they extend the CD on shield Block, Shield Slam loses on average value, not because they touched SS, but because the mechanics that make that base scale better are reduced in power.

So again:
    Less crit block is less average block value
    Less average block value is less dmg reduction per block chance
    Less dmg reduction per block chance is less value for Mastery rating.

Less dmg reduction per block chance is less value for Mastery rating.
    Yes...
    1% increase in Critical Block going from 30% to 31% is different than 1% increase in Critical Block going from 5% to 6%. This is because the values of stats flucuate as they increase or decrease in value. This is true in regard to any double roll system. For example, spell casting crit which is a double roll is effected by Hit (increasing Hit, increases the value of Crit). In the case of Warrior's mastery it is a little more clunky, increasing Mastery, increases the value of Mastery.

Because Shield Block gave you a flat bonus that it shouldn't have given you in the first place, it artificially inflated the value of Mastery faster than intended. Now with Shield Block bug removed, Mastery scales as it should.

The value of going from 30% critical block to 31% critical block is the same regardless of if it comes from Mastery or if it came from a bugged source, the value of increasing this amount in the same way is unchanged. The problem comes that now you need 25% more in order to get the same amount of value out of it. That was a bug. Mastery still scales at the same rate, it just doesn't have that spike in value caused by the bug.

+ Reply to Thread