+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High DPS pulling aggro from me when tanking.

High DPS pulling aggro from me when tanking.

Like the title says, i've been tanking heroics for about 5 days now and had no problem holding aggro up until today and yesterday. Mainly high DPS fury warriors and occasional mage/rogues pulling from me when I am tanking mainly 3-4 mobs using AOE. My rotation is usually something like HoTR - Consecrate - HoTR - HW - HoTR - Word of Glory - HoTR - Judge - HoTR etc etc etc. Or some variation of those. Here's my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lolipwn/simple
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has never been a problem for me before.

tell them to single target down skull and work through them one at a time, the days of lol aoe spam are gone with wotlk and the new era of cc and focus fire have returned in cata.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    tell them to single target down skull and work through them one at a time, the days of lol aoe spam are gone with wotlk and the new era of cc and focus fire have returned in cata.
    This. Mark mobs, set up a kill order, and if they pull aggro with AoE crap then it's their own fault.

Never have that issue with either of my tanks as long as people hit the correct targets. The only people I have had threat issues with on single target so far are Elemental Shammies and Frost DKs that get crit strings.

Run with a friendly healer, mark targets, and laugh as the healer lets the cleave-happy fury warrior die.

Sometimes as a healer you just have to... I just can't keep up aggro-happy DPS and tanks at the same time. in guild runs we always mark and unless the warrior has a good reason for banging on something other than the skull (like both skull and x are casters and he's on interrupt duty) have your friendly neighborhood healer let them die.

AoE zergs are a thing of the past. Mark skull, X, and CC targets. Having CC will not only make it easier for your healer to heal you (and make them love you more!) it will also force the DPS to stop AoEing or risk breaking CC and bringing down the group's wrath on their heads.

I 'm seeing alot of pally threat issues atm, no more ICC undead mobs means they gotta work for a living now like the rest of us

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I 'm seeing alot of pally threat issues atm, no more ICC undead mobs means they gotta work for a living now like the rest of us
    A lot of it imo is the fact that mob groups are bigger in instances now.
    Where before we had 3-4 mobs in a group (with maybe 2 casters/ranged), we have 4-6 mobs in a group (with up to the entire group being casters/ranged).
    Which makes it harder to gather them up, especially if the CC people are slow (or the stupid tank is having the mage sheep before the hunter traps, and expecting the hunter to trap a moving target >.< yes I have that issue a lot on my hunter), or people just AoE spam.

Between my DK and my Pally, I like tanking with my pally more currently, but I kinda like Death Grip over Avenging Shield when it comes to pulls.
    There will be a lot of times where I shield pull, and some idiot decides to use abilities that stun mobs and instead of getting a nice tight group of casters, I get one that is way out from the rest because it was stunned.
    While with my DK I D&D on the group and run in or D&D the part of the group that isn't being CC and if there is a mob that isn't in D&D I yank it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Which makes it harder to gather them up, especially if the CC people are slow (or the stupid tank is having the mage sheep before the hunter traps, and expecting the hunter to trap a moving target >.< yes I have that issue a lot on my hunter), or people just AoE spam.
    I recall a time when hunters always had to trap a moving target by virtue of how their traps worked. Unless they've removed distracting shot it seems like it's a skill they should have.

hi i have a pally tank as well and asked a siminler question earlier and got a lot of useful info on it heres the link to it hope it helps
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ulling-it-back

Same as some noted I am seeing frost DK's and fury warriors are giving pally's a bit of headache and I play all 3.

Over at maintankadin Lore discussed scaling issues with vengenace being added to patch pther tank classes and what he predicted seems to be coming to pass they will need to repatch pally threat multiplier soon.

It's not tragically bad yet but expect it to get worse as we progress unless patched.

The problem with Frost DK's threat is the same as what I showed in early gear at level 80 on my work with frost DK's that frost strike and howling blast make up much more damage than at later gear stages when obliterate takes over.

The problem with fury warriors is same old same old because they never really fixed them from 4.0.1 melee damage and heroic strike is making up way to much of there damage to keep there threat down.

This is typically what I am seeing on wyrmbreaker:
    (Dam my log expired so will have to cut and paste from my saved copy)

Clipboard01.jpg
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 01-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

When I go fury which is my offspec those "cleave" and "whirlwind" buttons are just so big and shiny and shouting to me "Press me, Press me"!
    Then when I've died a few time I calm down and single target. Yeah all numbers look pretty but also being a main prott I should know better lol.
    There fault simple as.

Vong.
    So long and thanks for all this fish

Quote Originally Posted by Vong View Post
    When I go fury which is my offspec those "cleave" and "whirlwind" buttons are just so big and shiny and shouting to me "Press me, Press me"!
    Then when I've died a few time I calm down and single target. Yeah all numbers look pretty but also being a main prott I should know better lol.
    There fault simple as.

Vong.
    Main reason I switched from Frost DPS to Unholy DPS on my DK... The big shiny buttons usually don't get me killed as Unholy but as Frost it did.

From an AoE standpoint, as a Fury warrior, I just avoid it. Not really worth the hassle of accidental pulls on 'off' targets. It's not like my DPS isn't competative against 98% of players ignoring cleave/ww - and it is after all, just trash DPS. Leading meters on trash is like going 4-0 in the pre-season. It's like the 2008 Detroit Lions... 4 and 0 in the pre-season. 0-16 in the one that counted.

My siren call are my CDs on boss fights. Those are the big shiny buttons I really want to hit. But that 300k (in at ilvl 340) threat lead I let the tank get before I pop them... mere roadbump, I blaze right over that like you wouldn't believe.... Well, unless the tank gets a happy crit string right as I let loose.

But Kaz had it right in the second post. Mark and let DPS die.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Marking is key. When I go into a random in fury off spec, I see tanks marking CC's some of the time, and normally no skull and x.

Once we pull, since I have it bound on the mouse anyways, i mark kill order.

Also, all dps should have omen. No way around it. My threat is my concern. If I statt to creep I select an off target.

Unless the tank is very sub par, I know my role. Watch omen first, then recount.

As an aside, when my 7k fury gets questioned in pugs, I display the massive number of interrupts I've put out. Shuts them up.

I'm also voting for the mark/kill order thing. If there are three targets I'll mark skull and cross. So If a DPS pulls the third target that's on them. My theory is, if they'd focused on skull then they wouldn't have had any issues.
    Also, if you are still having trouble you could try asking the DPS to let you attack first, count to 5 and then join you, just to give you a little head start on the threat.
    If people follow the kill order I don't have any problems. Only threat issues I've had are when people (and in particular the twirly twirly warriors), charge in, either with me, or slightly ahead of me and start aoe'ing. When that happens, I can do my best to try and bring some order back, but in the end, if it goes pear shaped, it really wasn't my fault. That's what I tell myself anyway.

Re: High DPS pulling aggro from me when tanking.

DPS needs to take that advice: more omen less recount. "Yay I pulled xxx dps before we wiped!" should get you booted.

+ Reply to Thread