+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Maloriak

Quote Originally Posted by Tsy View Post
    So during phase 2, he no longer tries to summon the smaller adds (assuming he's summoned 18 adds already), and the vial mechanics are not a consideration anymore? And this occurs at 25%?

And what about Arcane Storm and Remedy, are these still factors in P2?
    He doesn't cast releases and arcane storm anymore in p2. Like kinch said, he will release all remaining adds though, but they should already be dead.

Also, after all 18 adds are released, you can totally ignore releases. He will still do the cast in p1, but it'll have no effect.

Also handy, in case you missed it: in p2 the boss shoots lines of fire @tank. These knock him up in the air for a LOT of dmg. However, that is avoidable and it's very important your tank learns this. The trick is to watch Maloriak: when he puts 1 arm in the air, move sideways fast! The lines will hit the old location, so no huge dmg spike. Just make sure the tank isn't standing too close to the wall or it'll be hard to see Maloriak for him. Ofc some ranged shouting when to move works as well

I kept dying after getting hit 3 times by the flames and kept wondering when/how to dodge it. After I noticed the post here about his arm I tried it out and got a perfect dodge streak the 2nd try

Thanks Kinch and Brainsaw for the clarification; we are going to put in some attempts this week on the boss, and I just wanted to have as much information as possible. Excellent insight on the phase2 portion as well!

If Slow and Curse of Tounges work to slow the cast times of Maloriak's Arcane Storm, it's worth mentioning that a Death Knight's Necrotic Strike will also probably work to slow the cast time(It increases cast times by 30% and absorbs some healing).

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky557 View Post
    If Slow and Curse of Tounges work to slow the cast times of Maloriak's Arcane Storm, it's worth mentioning that a Death Knight's Necrotic Strike will also probably work to slow the cast time(It increases cast times by 30% and absorbs some healing).
    This was already mentioned and yes it works fine

We tried Mal a couple of times last Thursday with little success (it was towards the end of our raid night). We've decided to try something a little different tonite, I (DK) will be tanking the adds by using Blood Presence with my Frost PvP spec (lots of lovely slows and runic power generation). The plan is to use Blood Presence to hold aggro while hitting the adds with Howling Blast to both damage and slow the adds (Also makes it easy to pick them up when they spawn across the room). Once the adds are aggro'd/slowed I'll just kite them around until the green phase. The hope is that this will both reduce the strain on healers and keep the adds bunched up for the AoE phase.

Thoughts?

(Also, we use this same idea on Magmaw and his adds and it works wonders)

Well, it all depends on what your problem is really. Are you guys having aggro issues on adds, does the add tank keep dying (if so, how many adds) or does it appear to be something else?

Tbh I'd prefer a DK tank on Maloriak instead of adds. I'm a DK tank myself and have tried add tanking in regukar spec and frost kiting spec. However, I would not advice the frost kiting for a number of reasons.

First of, the dmg becomes extremely spikey: eventually you will reach points where you have no frost runes left and/or get dazed. At that time the adds will pound you and you have no means of escape. Second, during green phase you'll receive double dmg and actually prolong the fight because the adds can't be aoe'd down fast (after all, you're on the move). Trying to tank the adds at this point will be hard as well since you miss quite a few mitigation tricks. And that's without taking into consideration the random debuffs Maloriak uses that can quickly turn this into a nightmare.

In the end it boils down to this: during green phase you try to avoid moving adds too much. The boss doesn't hit that much (unless you're slow @arcane storm or have many adds nearby) so healing the MT should be fairly easy. Even more so with a DK tank that pops AMS when he gets the fire debuff (turns it harmless really). If your healers feel the raid & mt require a lot of healing, something isn't done right. If the add tank is the problem remember: adds buff nearby friendly units. Tanking 3 is peanuts, 6 are about boss lvl (doable), 9 are deadly. Focus mainly on kiting on 9 adds and try to get the last 3 as late as possible. Pop CDs during green phase and it should be a lot easier.

Thanks for the vid. We got him down in 3 trys.
    Really helped!

I would use a DK with spec Frost and use Frost Fever with Chillblains talented (there is a good guide about this at http://25man.com/cata-guides/maloriak). It also depends if you are doing the 10 or 25man encounter. In 25man you can use two tanks and have an equal amount of adds on both tanks. If your tanks are geared enough they can just tank the adds (so they do not have to be kited).

As soon as the green potion is dropped in the cauldron you should start DPS on the adds. Especially demology warlocks are very helpfull here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsaw View Post
    Second, during green phase you'll receive double dmg and actually prolong the fight because the adds can't be aoe'd down fast (after all, you're on the move). Trying to tank the adds at this point will be hard as well since you miss quite a few mitigation tricks. And that's without taking into consideration the random debuffs Maloriak uses that can quickly turn this into a nightmare.
    You might be missing something in green phase. Debilitating Slime suppresses Growth Catalyst, so you're not taking double the damage from the adds compared to red and blue (but everyone IS dealing double). Bring everything on the boss, AOE.

Our add tanks in this parse are Hagarn and Ellyndrial. Debilitating Slime is cast at 19:18:33 and 19:21:02. Look at the incoming damage. It's especially striking during the second green phase.

Our guild is having problems mainly on the add tank. At 9 adds the damage is cruel; even with kiting it seems there's always some point at which he's taking hits.

My question is, until our gear level rises a bit or we recruit better kiters, would it be feasible to DPS down one of the adds after a cast of Release Aberrations? It doesn't seem like our DPS is going to run into the enrage - we've had him below 5% a couple times and I think we still had plenty of time on the timer.

So, my thought is on the first 1-2 casts of Release Aberrations we have a plate DPS pull one of the Aberrations while the OT picks up 2. DPS turns and burns the Aberration.

So instead of 9 adds we end up with 7-8 total which is fewer stacks of GC to deal with right?

Not an ideal strategy I realize, but seems like a potential stop-gap to deal with our most common point of failure which is OT death.

Specifically, this is the sequence I hope to try. It basically sets up a 2 add stack for as long as possible during both phases, which should ease strain on healers as well:

Release Abberations Interrupt Cycle:
    Allow (3) - DPS one down
    Interrupt
    Allow (5)
    Allow (8)
    Interrupt during Green Phase, AoE
    Allow (3) - DPS one down
    Interrupt
    Allow the rest... (5, 8)
    Last edited by Kerchunk; 03-21-2011 at 01:43 AM.

I tried Maloriak for the first time on the weekend and was on 'release aberrations' interrupt duty. Does anyone know if the cast time on this is bugged? There were times when the cast bar basically just flashed up on the screen without running the full length yet the adds still released. It was as if it was an instant cast at random intervals. Has anyone else encountered this? Could it be an addon issue (I'm using quartz for cast bars)?

i've been managing a thread on my guild's website with all the current normal/HM encounters and i was hoping there was an up-to-date heroic maloriak thread that maybe i'm just missing. i currently have a youtube video posted but i was hoping to find something more in depth.

anyone else notice the person narrating the encounter is using a voice mode to amplify the deepness in his voice ?

+ Reply to Thread