+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maloriak

If you are getting knocked into the air then you are running into the white(ish) orbs that appear in the room during that phase. They can be really hard to see with all the fire etc.
    Until seeing the video that Kinch posted, I didn't realize I could dodge the fire before it was cast - nothing is said in the original video about dodging it, so I stood still and took the initial hit rather than risk aiming it at someone. If you do take the initial hit, you will always get popped up into the air and will take a large, but survivable amount of falling damage. The last phase will be much easier for my healer next time
    How does a PC gamer change a light bulb? He doesn't. He goes on the forums and QQs about it being dark.

So last night maloriak was proving a big pain in the ass.

since hotfixes he now not only can, but seems to prioritise the main tank as the target of the fire debuff.

4 wipes from having no choice but sit in the stack and explode or be one shot by his flame blast
    justin.tv/Belligra

Watch me play SC2 ladder and enjoy the lolz

Papapaint's voice scared me when I started watching the video.

My guilds currently having concerns about this fight, because of our raid composition.

My question is, how can we do this fight with....

1 Tank Dk
    1 Dps unholy/frost Dk
    1 Dps warrior
    1 Tank prot warrior
    1 priest holy healer
    2 paladins healing
    1 ret paladin
    1 fire mage
    1 ele shaman

any advice on how we could do this would be great, we tried having the blood dk tank the adds but slowing them was an issue. we also had the warrior try to tank adds but then aggro was sorta of an issue. any easier way for us to do this? Thanks for the advice in advance!

@ Briskk

I don't have either in my group, so that's troublesome for me, but just working with what you have, I think you need to utilize the warrior and mage in a manner that maybe you hadn't thus far.

The warrior should be okay with threat because of shockwave and thunderclap. Admittedly, I got dropped from tanking adds because I sucked at getting them all, but I dunno if he could manage with maybe a leap or charge or something like that. If he can manage to get threat on them all, the fact that they're stunable means he can get big gaps in between them.

As for the mage, make him spec frost to help handle the add kiting. The only real stress on this fight is if you happen to have your tank actually tanking all nine adds, that can hurt. The rest of the mechanics should be handleable.

just my $.02. I don't blame you if you disregard this as I have no real experience with either class in Cata-raiding.
    Worse than you.

It is not required to kite the adds, it helps for healers but you can most often tank them with smart interrupting + cd usage. Here's how we normally do it.

Have a tank on adds that can stun/root them (i myself can root 2-3 with as a druid, and paladins+warriors can aoestun[note: this is a mere breather for healers to slow down incoming dmg]), but save those abilities untill you have 6 adds or more. The key is smart interrupting.

Interrupt everything untill first vial phase comes up, then let ONE summon through, interrupt everything untill the second vial phase starts, then let all summons through. the casts are timed so that you get the last 3rd wave awhile before the green vial phase starts. Due to the tank add needing to gather the adds + tanking 9 adds at that time. It is required for all healers to 'spam' said tank as much as they can during and start of green vial phase. (there's a short gap where you got 9x buff on the adds + 9 of them hitting them the add tank so he will take a beating)

Coordinate with tank+healer to use either tank's cooldown on first green vial phase, and healers on 2nd green vial phase, to ensure they stay alive also.

Also, have the MT (who has the boss) make sure to interrupt a summon being cast while green vial starts/is on. To let all your dps focus on aoe'ing the adds down.

Wait for the second round of blue/red vial phases to start and repeat.
    Last edited by iots; 01-24-2011 at 05:02 AM.

It should also be worth mentioning here if you're having problems with Remedy being dispelled and have a warlock available, use the felhunter.
    Breaking Out Fat Bright Crayons for the raid challenged since 2005!
    Blood & Glory
    Currently recruiting CORE RAIDERS & Casual members, apply here!

Quote Originally Posted by smep View Post
    @ Briskk

I don't have either in my group, so that's troublesome for me, but just working with what you have, I think you need to utilize the warrior and mage in a manner that maybe you hadn't thus far.

The warrior should be okay with threat because of shockwave and thunderclap. Admittedly, I got dropped from tanking adds because I sucked at getting them all, but I dunno if he could manage with maybe a leap or charge or something like that. If he can manage to get threat on them all, the fact that they're stunable means he can get big gaps in between them.

As for the mage, make him spec frost to help handle the add kiting. The only real stress on this fight is if you happen to have your tank actually tanking all nine adds, that can hurt. The rest of the mechanics should be handleable.

just my $.02. I don't blame you if you disregard this as I have no real experience with either class in Cata-raiding.

Thanks for the advice, i was thinking about having our ranged kill the first set of mobs, then kill 6 when the green phase comes, maybe that would ease up dmg on the tank and make it easier.

Right now people are saying our raid comp. won't be able to do this fight, but im thinking blizz made it so almost every raid comp. could do it with ease if you use the right method, what are your thoughts on that?

We got our Maloriak kill yesterday after spending a day of wipes with too little progress. So in order to help those still stuck, here are some helpful tips:
    • DKs can use AMS to ignore consuming flames and dance in the breath. Just pop AMS when the debuff is on roughly 4s left.
    • Have the OT tank adds until all 9 are up. Then pop CDs and kite during green phase. Warrior OT rocks (shockwave, leap, etc). We found interrupting first release->let 3 casts through->interrupt all, worked best for us.
    • If OT has threat issues, ban all AoE before green phase. Starfall was our problem. Threat was easy for our warrior OT after this.
    • If some adds get loose, stay relaxed. A stray add hits for 3k or something so nothing stressful. We had our MT tank any stray adds until the OT picked them up (<3 vigilance).
    • Consuming Flames was totally random for us. When I (DK MT) got it, I popped AMS with 4s on debuff (just before breath) and took neglible dmg. This was a HUGE stress relief for us.
    • Ignore all releases after first green phase. By the time the last wave is released, green phase is near. He will still cast releases, but they will do nothing.
    • Adds buff the boss as well if nearby. You will notice him becoming taller if it happens. If MT dmg seems a problem in green phase, it might help to tank boss away from adds.
    • Designate a spot for kiting & nuking adds during green phase. Frost trap on that mark worked well.
    • Maloriak tends to cast Arcane Storm @ start of green phase (slightly after landing near stairs). Make sure to keep this in mind and interrupt asap.

Hopefully someone can use this info. It certainly was for us after figuring out what went wrong before.

@Brissk: your setup is pretty similar to ours. Put the DK on boss and the warrior as OT. Ban AoE before green phase (important) and adds will stick to your warrior. We had 1 DPS stay on the boss during the first green phase to interrupt releases. The MT interrupted Arcane Storm (have a backup ranged interrupt though). WoL can be found here.

[Edit] To provide some detailed tips to your raidsetup: I'd put the ret pala on release interrupt duty during first green phase. Make sure your mage spellsteals maloriaks hot and use ele shammy for ranged backup interrupt (arcane storm). Let your DK go frost and spec chillblains to allow kiting for your OT. Shammy could put earthbind totem as well, but frost DK is much better. Ensure your OT uses shockwave and shield block when he has 9 adds before green phase. Save shieldwall for green phase if possible (but still kite adds). Just focus all efforts on add control in that fight first. Once you get that down, the kill is close Hunters are awesome here (for add slowing) but hardly required. You simply need 1 reliable source of kiting during green phase.
    Last edited by Brainsaw; 01-24-2011 at 10:28 PM.

The timers are currently different for this fight.

We've noticed a change on the enrage timer for our 25 man guild, which may very well be a hotfix but we can't find anything confirming or denying this:

Upon analyzing logs, I have found that Blizzard may have unintentionally changed the enrage on 25man while increasing the enrage on 10man. The 10man Enrage when from being 6 minute enrage, to on the 21st, being a 7 minute enrage.

Here's the logs. Pardon if there's duplicates, there's EU and US servers to prove it's not just an EU or US thing.

10-man Normal, Successful Kills:
    1/19 (6:10, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...=11976&e=12347
    1/20 (6:10 Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a.../?s=892&e=1263
    *1/21 (6:10 No Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/o...=20532&e=20902
    1/22 (6:10 No Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f...=30340&e=30711
    1/23 (7:15 Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8988&e=9424
    1/23 (7:15 Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...=11087&e=11522

25-man Normal, Successful Kills:
    EU Servers:
    1/19 (9:19, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5416&e=5975
    1/20 (9:15, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...?s=6613&e=7169
    *1/21 (8: 16: No Enrage, berserk is at 9 Minutes): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...?s=9114&e=9610
    1/23 (7:16, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/0...?s=2036&e=2473

Taiwan - I only included Taiwan because I actually saw them in the sorted list... and in the same time range for 1/21 as US and EU.
    *1/21: (8:14 No Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b...?s=8720&e=9214

US Servers:
    1/19 (9:17, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e...?s=9086&e=9643
    1/20 (9:18, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=6213&e=6771
    *1/21 (8:18, No Enrage, berserk is still at 9 Minutes): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/y...?s=6424&e=6915
    1/23 (7:18, Enrage): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/y...?s=3265&e=3703

I currently have a post on the bug forum to confirm or deny, but no blue response yet.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965987257

Any assistance with getting a blue's attention would be greatly appreciated.
    Blood & Glory

A warrior is as mentioned an awesome OT.

Vigilence on the MT and you get regular taunt refreshs not to mention some vengence to start tanking the adds with.

Rend on one add and then thunder clap when the other adds come close. throw/taunt adds spawning on the opposite side.

We found tank damage to be pretty intense when we first started our tries weeks back.

However we assigned 1 dps in this case a tank in dps gear to stick on the adds following the green phase to make sure all the low hp adds died rather than just adding to the next waves.

1 other key part of our stratergy was to go with 2 healers.

one of our holy paladins actually had good prot gear so became our second tank.

This helped with getting the adds down quicker, downing the boss before enrage and also gave us our free dps to finish off the low hp adds.

Strange how it worked out for a kill with so many changes to the setup I thought we would have for the kill.

Onyxstar why would they change on raid size's berserk timer without the intention of changing the other? Also where is the change documented, as we killed him at 6:38 this evening.

First, if you doubt me, please check the logs above. Second, originally, 10 man was 6, and 25 was 9. (Check those logs, I spent a great deal of time digging through many logs to find this data with the relative dates) -

there was a change.. look at Maloriak- and see when he casts berserk.

Documented? no, other than parses, I can't find a single patch note, but it's on the US Official Forums in the Raid/Dungeon section. I'm only after clarification. We completed this boss tonight, but what I want to know is was truly blizzard's intentions to increase the 10 man enrage by 1 minute, and decrease the 25 man by 2 minutes.. That's why I was asking, and why I would really prefer acknowledgment that yes, it should be this way, or no, we messed up again - and meant to only decrease it by 1 minutes.

I can't find it in any single patch note, which meant it was a hotfix or stealth - I'd just like to know if it was intentional or not. I could see splitting the difference, or even decreasing by a minute or what not, I'd have to crunch the numbers to see if it is the same type of dps requirement.

But you can check logs, and there is a difference - if the timer was still at 6 minutes, was he enraged? or are you in a 25 man guild? If it's the latter, you wouldn't see it unless you intentionally pushed him past the 7 minute mark, which I personally wouldn't do just to prove a point.
    Blood & Glory

Well to be fair the 10man enrage timer was pretty strict, if you did not kill the 2nd green wave adds in the 15 seconds you run a serious risk of auto-wiping to berserk(if you do not have a good aoe set up), while the 25man enrage timer was a complete joke.

It's not a QQ over the timer, I just want a confirmation that the intention was to change both timers to 7 minutes. I can't find that, and it seems that while it may have been needed for the 10 man, they have made it pretty strict on 25 man in the process. Either way, I honestly just want confirmation that "it's working as intended".
    Blood & Glory

Killed this yesterday. 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 dps (2 ranged, 3 melee). This is how we handled adds:

We let the first summon go through. I, warrior tank, tanked those. We interrupted the second summon. One ranged dps helped - only slightly - with the adds. Liberal use of rend, thunderclap boosted shockwaves and that little ranged help got the first pack either dead or close to dead by the time the 3rd summon was let through. I killed whatever remained of the first pack while tanking the second pack, using victory rush to ease up the healing. 4th summon came just before the green vial phase & we easily burnt down the 6 pack.

I write as if it went smoothly, it didnt. On multiple pulls, the first summon was interrupted by the boss running to cast a vial, that threw off the timing. Still, even if you get 9 adds on you, the ones from the first pack should be low on health, if you pop some cds and concentrate on those with low health, the 3 victory rush procs add enough healing to take the worry off.

On the other hand, grabbing those 2 adds on last phase before they fixate on somebody else was considerably difficult. They spawn from across the room and sometimes i wasnt fast enough.

One other problem i faced was with picking up the adds. Healing aggro was so high that my usual tclap wasnt enough to pick up the adds as they spawned. So, tclap 2 & charge the 3rd wasnt always enough. Vigilance on the MT for taunt refreshes is a godsend.

I was not aware than the 25 man version had had a 9 minute berserk timer, but the 6 minute ten man one was definitely beatable. I have also not been able to find a patch note or hotfix note saying that Maloriak's berserktimer had been changed, indeed I was extremely surprised that our second raid was still alive after 6:10 (the longest we ever took past the berserk in the first raid) and that he STILL had not berserked by 6:38 when we killed him yesterday.

As such I cannot say whether the buff to 25 man was warranted or not, but the nerf to ten man was absolutely not. It required perfect play in the second green phase and the burn phase, but that is OK in my eyes.

6 min berserk:http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/z...2969#tab-auras
    non-berserk kill @ 6:38: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/m...8657#tab-auras

Patch notes went out- the enrage is 7 minutes for 10/25.
    Blood & Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    During the final phase, he releases two adds called Prime Subjects. These need to be picked up quickly, as they will lock on to their target a few seconds after being released and fixate on them until death. Have the tank pick these up, and your raid can comfortably ignore them to focus on burning down Maloriak. Maloriak will cast lines of fire at your tank, so face him towards the wall, slowly kite him around the room, and ensure that no one is standing behind the tank. There are also two AoEs going out in the form of Absolute Zero and Poison Nova. Poison Nova is a small dot that must simply be healed through, while Absolute Zero summons a void zone under a player, producing an orb that will explode if a player touches it.]
    So during phase 2, he no longer tries to summon the smaller adds (assuming he's summoned 18 adds already), and the vial mechanics are not a consideration anymore? And this occurs at 25%?

And what about Arcane Storm and Remedy, are these still factors in P2?

P2 starts with Maloriak casting Release All Minions (at 25% health). No more vials, no more Arcane Storm. Remedy continues to be cast.

+ Reply to Thread