Thread: Alternate 10m Magmaw strat: parasite OT

Alternate 10m Magmaw strat: parasite OT

OK so the previous weekend we were struggling with a melee-heavy group on Magmaw, couldn't quite seem to get the parasites down without kiting all over the shop, very chaotic. Originally found on MMO-Champ, but the idea is to have the entire raid stacked up in melee range and just your OT standing out at range avoiding Pillar and tanking the parasites.

The parasites don't melee for much at all, the infection (infestation?) ticks for ~12kish and this is up a lot, but it doesn't stack, so our OT was taking significant damage, but not nearly as much as the Magmaw tank. We had standard heroics-geared healers (myself included) and the additional healing required for an extra tank was easily manageable. We occasionally had our Fire Mage drop a flamestrike on the adds once picked up to assist our pally OT in vengenace-ing them down but it usually wasn't necessary.

Occasionally our OT would miss the odd parasite which would wander towards healers, in which case anyone infected would run out and the rest stay in, which worked fine. Seemed more chaotic at the time than it actually was.

We intend to use this strategy in the future, it worked an absolute treat and solved our melee DPS problem. We had a number of wipes (9) but mostly from Magmaw tank deaths, and the final kill was a bit messy but here are the logs:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c...=14676&e=15120

Edit: Works for 25m, although we had no DPS at all on the worms, since they'd pull off newly spawned worms too quickly. Logs:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/i...=14846&e=15295
    Last edited by Nooburn; 01-22-2011 at 04:45 PM.

To be clear, Mestal was our Magmaw tank, Sensui our pally OT.

When we killed Magmaw we had everybody stack up in melee range except for a frost DK that kited and killed all the adds. The rest of the DPS just focused on the boss, the frost DK didn't need any help with kiting and killing the adds. You just need to make sure that he doesn't go too far away so he is out of range of the healers for a long period of time.

We had problems stacking everyone in the Raid together in melee range. We put our hunter out to handle adds but the fire pillar would still spawn at the melee stack point. Did we not put the hunter out far enough or is this how it normally goes for the melee stack strat.

Alternate 10m Magmaw strat: parasite OT

Everyone HAS to be in melee range. If you are even one step out of melee range (and it's a small hit box) you can be targeted by pillar. One of your ranged was probably one step out of range. Just have them make sure they can melee auto attack before they start casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrwelty View Post
    We had problems stacking everyone in the Raid together in melee range. We put our hunter out to handle adds but the fire pillar would still spawn at the melee stack point. Did we not put the hunter out far enough or is this how it normally goes for the melee stack strat.
    It's likely a problem with your stack pile. We had some trouble early with a warlock not quite being in the stack point and getting Pillar on him near the crates on the left wall. Everyone needs to be right on Magmaw, right in melee range.

Interesting - we had a ton of trouble having our ranged (lock, SPriest, boomkin) trying to take out the adds - I might try this instead.

Has anyone else used this to success? We have a very weak ranged/AOE group and our hunter just got a shift change that kinda shafted us - leaving us to get another melee.

Both the MT (me, usually) or the OT are relatively geared. I outgeat the encounter as a Protection Warrior - the OT is a Druid. With Shockwave I think handling the adds should be simple (I can control when to stop taking damage and kite - I can also spec into Piercing Howl and kite them a bit if needed as well I suppose? I've seen Progression tanks (Xav maybe? One of the top tanks) had Piercing Howl specced/glyph) so we may try this tonight as we're struggling to kill him from an add perspective - our DPS and healers are in great shape at all 12k DPS+ and no mana issues typically.

If this works for us (we have a Frost DK sometimes - we could tag team them to keep them in range/DPS them quickly) I'll get back - we raid tonight.

Are you sure the Parasite Infection does NOT STACK? I swore I've had two of the debuff icons on me before.

EDIT:

Do the Parasites award Victory Rush procs when killed? That would make it pretty simple for a Protection Warrior.
    Last edited by kuponuts; 01-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.

They've capped it to 3 parasite infections max. (at a time)

Arent they upping the melt armor debuff to be ~2m to force you to use a second tank on Magmaw or is that just a phantom memory?

You're right sorry they do stack, but don't stack endlessly. 3 stacks sounds about right, it wouldn't be more.

Gear isn't an issue for your OT, our pally OT was 246 geared and missing a few enchants even. I'd be interested to know if victory rush procs. Would make it absurdly OP

We just tanked through the armor debuff. Our bear was heroic'ly geared and did OK, but needed a semi full time healer.

victory rush does procs from every kill that prot warrior does on parasite. i did just 800k less healing than the healers on that fight with this strat.

We single tanked straight through the 2m Melt Armor debuff because we actually didn't know why you needed two tanks the first time we went there. It was pretty rough though, he can drop some 80k-90k hits on you.

Kiting the adds seems quite nice though, esp for Heroic. I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the plant adds on Conclave too since in Heroic they spam the spores much more often. Its not hard to run stuff in circles forever with some classes.

Bump for original post edit, works for 25m. Used 3 tanks.

We've been doing it normally for normal mode but we were planning on doing the DK kite/kill method for heroic mode when we get around to him. Makes things much easier, keeps more dps focused on the boss too.