View Poll Results: How good is this contingency list?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Really good Keep it up!

1 6.25%
  • Pretty good needs a little work GJ though!

1 6.25%
  • Good but needs some work.

2 12.50%
  • Not the best but it works

0 0%
  • Bad Needs A Lot Of Work!

5 31.25%
  • WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING!

7 43.75%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Resto Druid my contingencies

Resto Druid my contingencies

Ok so i play a resto druid and i have been running into mana problems here is my contingencies for healing
    For the Tank (5 man):
    Must have up: Lifeblood at 3 stacks, Rejuvenation
    Tank at 50-60%: Cast swift-mend if it is off cool-down
    Tank at 20-50%: Cast Nourish and/or let life blood fall off the re stack
    Tank under 20%: Natures swiftness then healing touch to 60%

For the tank (raid):
    Tank at 50-60%+: Cast regrowth
    Tank at 20-50%: Cast 1 Regrowth then Healing touch till at 60%

For party/raid members (5 man):
    Must Have ups: Wild Growth (glyphed)
    Member at 40-60%: cast rejuvenation
    Member at 20-40%: Nourish
    Member under 20%: cast 1 healing touch then
    more then 3 members under 40%: cast tranquility

or party/raid members (raid):
    Must Have ups: Wild Growth (glyphed) & efflorescence from swift mend
    Member at 40-50%: cast rejuvenation (for use with swift mend)
    Member at 20-40%: Regrowth
    Member under 20%: cast rejuvenation then swift mend/healing touch(nourish only for chimeron)
    more then 4 members under 40%: cast tranquility

I tend to OOM ever 1-3 pulls and boss fight i OOM after about 2 min in them do you have any suggestion as to how i can keep mana in better supply. I would like explanations with suggestions so i can see your reasoning. Also i know Regrowth is costly but it is just to darn fast to throw out the window.
    spec link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lent/secondary
    Gear Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...todante/simple
    Last edited by GladiatorW07f; 01-17-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Relook at options, And Percentage/wording Changes

This setup looks like it would be over healing to me, but without knowing your gear situation I could be mistaken.

I keep 4 stacks of lifebloom on tank but frequently let it bloom if he is taking a lot of damage, nice heal there then put it back up.

I don't try to keep tank topped off unless I know I have large healing coming in (Boss fight, heavy pulls).

I don't try to keep the party topped off, they should be fine through normal pulls. If they pull aggro and try to tank they can always be ressed. I am not saying don't heal them, just ignore thier screams to get healed when they are 60%+ health. On a boss fight I try to keep them topped before a special ability. Never use Wildgrowth unless you have more than 3 targets needing heals or you know damage is incoming for the whole party. Same with Rejuv it is not our go-to healing spell like it used to be, great for keeping the swiftmend rolling though I keep it on the tank.

These are a few things I have learned to do after constantly running out of mana. I found this in a guide, modified it a bit for my own play style. I would love to give original author credit but I read so many articles a week I just don't remember.

P.S. Remember to Innervate yourself every time it is off CD in fights, less nom-nom-nom time.
    I like what you have if it works for you and doesn't run your mana down. Thanks for sharing!

Found the guide I was referring too. It is Vasantra's resto druid mini guide. Awesome job there Vasantra I learned much.

um...did you note the qualifier in the group healing, "Ideal" it means i am healing them when needed.
    Also lifeblood caps at 3 stacks!

"Ok so i play a resto druid and i have been running into mana problems here is my contingencies for healing
    For the Tank (5 man):
    Tank at 60%+: Cast regrowth or swift-mend if it is off cool-down
    Tank at 40-60%: Cast 1 Regrowth then Healing touch till at 60%
    Tank under 40%: Natures swiftness then healing touch to 60%"

Rolling Rejuv is very mana intensive. Lifebloom yes, rejuv no. Replace rejuv with Nourish.
    Tank at 80%: Add Rejuv to the mix. Consider Swiftmending/Efflorescence.
    In almost all cases, you want to swiftmend before you hit Regrowth, as it's a much bigger chunk of heal, and it is much more mana efficient.

Cast regrowth or swift-mend if it is off cool-down

Note the wording!
    Regrowth is cast if swift-mend is on CD

Resto Druid my contingencies

Personnally, I use very little regrowth. The hp per mana just really seems to suck. I will not use it unless it is a clear casting proc or < 30%.

Nourish is the key. Hots stop the bleeding and nourish tops up. Also, watch hots closely. If hp is steady or barely dropping, you have enough, so nourish spam if necessary from there. Sometimes that's three lifeblooms+rejuv+regrowth on the tank but more often that is only two or three lifeblooms on the tank to keep them basically stable for nourish spam.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I'm in the same boat. Regrowth right now is simply a very poor spell to use. Ideally you should never use it and that's simply because the spell itself is bad right now. If you are running into mana issues, using this is likely the cause of it. Regrowth is a panicing man's tool. A tank at 50% health in a five man is hardly a panic situation. That's more of an, OK, I should probably cast a Healing Touch instead of a Nourish now.

Like the evolved twilight guys in BRC for example (the dragonkin). Healing them is you have your HoTs up and it's just like 2-3 Nourishs and then a Healing Touch. Just cause the tank takes a spike cause the mob does a special attack doesn't mean it's a critical situation, you have plenty of time to heal that before the next big attack. So one larger heal mixed in the rotation here and there is way more efficient than going to Regrowth, your lowest efficiency heal period. I never say OMG, the tank is at half health and going to die. Honestly, if it hits the tank for that hard either it comes in predictable spikes (the tank takes more damage when more mobs are on him, i.e. and add spawn phase), an ability with a reasonable cooldown where you usually have time to heal them back up for the next cast, or something the tank shouldn't have been hit by in the first place (i.e. move out of the way or interrupt).

Going into panic mode so easily will make you burn out of mana a lot faster.

Half dead doesn't mean you need to heal them quicker... it means you have to heal them for more. Understand the rate of incoming damage. Just cause someone took some damage and is lower, doesn't mean they are going to die right away.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-11-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

In general, I wouldn't touch Regrowth unless people are at like 10% health, and even then I'd hesitate to use it. Regrowth is that bad.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Nourish is sort of the go-to spell for druids at the moment. It's the lowest mana cost per healing, and it refreshes Lifebloom to boot! Regrowth should only be used in absolute emergencies. Healing Touch is good if you need to get someone up from heavy damage.

My biggest problem with this guide is that it's Regrowth heavy and Nourish light, but after that, it doesn't really include a lot of other important techniques, like ways to avoid overhealing. If you're rejuving dps every time they take damage, you're going to run low on mana quickly. You want to make sure that Rejuv is just enough to bring the dps to full, otherwise you're wasting mana on overhealing.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

What you need to change is
    Over 60%: Ignore!

Other than that, well, I'm a shaman by trade
    However, my guild's resto druid's usual motto when healing heroics is "tanks and DPS who stand on the shiny green are being healed". All we get is usually the shiny green effloresence thing. BUT as an ele shaman, I heal myself when needed (and run with an a pet affl lock who does lots of self-healing) and when she goes OOM I have saved us from more than one wipe by switching to healing. Hybrid classes--keep your healing addons within reach no matter what spec you're in!

1: NOT A GUIDE
    2: Why is it that people are not watching my wording! 60% of ideal Means death range not max hp!
    3: I dont like that people assume that i heal them every single time they get hit
    4: I have not updated this for 4.0.6!
    5: I have no healing addons the one i used was trashed when 4.0.1 came out!

Quote Originally Posted by GladiatorW07f View Post
    1: NOT A GUIDE
    2: Why is it that people are not watching my wording! 60% of ideal Means death range not max hp!
    3: I dont like that people assume that i heal them every single time they get hit
    4: I have not updated this for 4.0.6!
    5: I have no healing addons the one i used was trashed when 4.0.1 came out!
    Maybe if you worded it clearly? Re-explaining yourself on super unclear wording doesn't fix anything. There IS an 'edit' button, however. What IS "60% of ideal health"? What do you consider their ideal health? 50%? Then why not say "30% health" instead of "60% of ideal health"? Or is 50% of total health where you worry? Or 40%? Or "10% more than the most damaging/dangerous ability of this fight" which is at least very clear.

Instead of complaining that people don't understand your poor wording... "Edit Post"

meh...i wrote this when i was brain dead i will fix it now. Thanks for reminding me to do so.

I think regardless of anything else in this, Regrowth basically kills the whole topic. Regrowth is a terrible spell, plain and simple. And recommending its use, and as often as you mention it, goes against what a comfortable druid healer would do. I count seven mentions of Regrowth being recommended. If you are having mana issues, that is probably at the very core of your issues. You are using the least efficient heal you have way more than you should.

Yeah, Regrowth is really the issue here. I'll go entire fights - no, entire nights - without touching that spell one single, solitary time. It's just THAT bad.

I tend to OOM ever 1-3 pulls and boss fight i OOM after about 2 min in them do you have any suggestion as to how i can keep mana in better supply. I would like explanations with suggestions so i can see your reasoning.
    Regrowth is pretty much why. It's terrible, eats all your mana up and does very little in return. Also, a fixation on what you must do when health bar hits X will cause you to overextend your mana bar more often than not.

Example:

For the tank (raid):
    Tank at 50-60%+: Cast regrowth
    Tank at 20-50%: Cast 1 Regrowth then Healing touch till at 60%
    You're using Regrowth as your go-to spell right away. If the tank is at 50-60% health with HoT's ticking and healers focusing him he's typically in no danger yet at all. 50-60% is often still Nourish range for me. If the damage model of the fight makes it a little more dangerous or I feel that other healers aren't also handling the tank, I'll move to Healing Touch for a few casts. There's no set percentages or anything for that, it's just a feeling based on the fight, the other healers, the damage output of the fight, and my current situation.

or party/raid members (raid):
    Must Have ups: Wild Growth (glyphed) & efflorescence from swift mend
    Member at 50-60%: cast rejuvenation (for use with swift mend)
    Member at 30-50%: Regrowth
    Member under 30%: cast regrowth then swift mend/healing touch(nourish only for chimeron)
    more then 4 members under 40%: cast tranquility
    Again, you're focusing on your most expensive options here. Wild Growth isn't neccessarily a must-have all the time, and effloresence is most certainly not. Those are extremely expensive and not something you want to file under the, "Must have up at all times." category. Regrowth is certainly NOT going to be used to raid heal in 99% of situations. I'm also pretty much never going to use tranquility just because a handful of people are low. It's an extremely powerful and probably once-only ability that I'm only going to use at very specific times - sometimes dictated by the fight (ex: A very heavy raid damage phase) or to attempt to recover an extremely upside-down situation.

Again, in this case I'm not worrying quite so much about their absolute health level. It's always more important to know the damage output profile of the fight and adjust your healing output and focus accordingly. Placing rules and contingencies on yourself - especially ones that involve extremely expensive and inefficient spells - is only handicapping your ability.
    Last edited by Bovinity; 01-12-2011 at 09:18 AM.

I have my regrowth teched up and usually get 15-20k total healing off of it. I see that for the 5600 mana it costs me that nets me 2.678 - 3.574 HPM. My healing touch costs 5500 and heals 10-20 k for a net of 1.818 - 3.636 HPM which is while it has a higher cap it also has a lower base. And at a lower cast time i fail to see how it is so bad heal. Rejuvenation is having its cost cut from 26% base mana to 16% base mana making it much cheaper to have out. Though i do understand where you are coming from with the frequency of healing issues. I never cast nourish the time on it is to long for the cost and total amount healed. As of 4.0.5 its hps was SHIT! at a 3.17 cast time for me the total amount healed ranged from 7k to 14k(at best) this means that though the HPM is higher the hps is only 2208.201 - 4416.401 compared to healing touch being 3154.574 - 6309.148 hps. In 4.0.6 i may try using Nourish more as it will have a reduced cast time through rejuvenation being out. But as for now i don't use it because of the low hps and long cast time.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Ok so i just double checked the mana cost on my regrowth and i under listed the cost by about 1k mana. However at just over 1/2 the cast time i feel this spell has been ignored for to long and needs some fixing though i don't know what just yet! More then likely reducing the mana cost by even 750 would make it better. I was casting it thinking it was 5600 not 6600. BOY DO I FEEL STUPID! however i do always get living from it so that is not to bad to have the guaranteed bonus healing going off though.
    Last edited by GladiatorW07f; 01-12-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: reevaluation of post...don't be mad plz

You're looking at HPM... however not considering the cast time as well. Naturally, you cast Regrowth with has a faster cast time, you are spending that 5k mana in less time. By increasing the rate you consume mana, you run out of mana faster. If healing touch takes 3 seconds to cast and Regrowth takes 1.5 seconds to cast, guess what... your in combat mana regen regenerated 100% more mana during that cast. Because you regenned more mana, you actually lost less during that time. As a result, your mana pool lasts longer.

You are confusing throughput with efficiency.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-12-2011 at 10:38 AM.

On the topic of HPM:

Treecalcs has the HPM listed (for a generically geared druid) as follows:

Nourish: 4.92
    Healing Touch: 4.96
    Regrowth: 2.11

But here's the funny part. You'd expect Regrowth HPET to be way higher due to the inefficiency, but here's the HPET (Healing per execution time):

Nourish: 3962
    Healing Touch: 11999
    Regrowth: 9932

Now what the heck is going on there, eh?

Anyway, those are just grabbed from Treecalcs here at work, I didn't tweak it very much and it was a hasty grab since I'm...well, at work. But even those numbers are pretty telling.

Again, people with lower health need to be healed "more", not necessarily "faster". There is a difference.

+ Reply to Thread