+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Haste and Holy Paladin

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6

    Haste and Holy Paladin

    My character : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lblow/advanced

    My holy lights have a 2.2 sec cast without any buffs , i used to have it with 2 sec casts and 1.9 with the buff that holy paladins get for haste but now with the new gear including my t11 pieces i lose a lot of haste. Any help on if i should pursue haste o.o

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    That Place Above the USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Haste is the proverbial crack for holy pallies and shamans. This is because they don't have nearly as many instant casts as druids and priests. For holy pallies, Holy Shock and WoG just don't cut it.

    The only other option is exchanging spirit for haste. With enough intellect, and therefore a big enough mana pool, your mana returns from things like SoI and DP might be enough that you don't need that much spirit. Based on your gear, I would say you are at that point, but the better judge is your healing. Are you frequently OOM? If you are, either you need to learn to be more efficient at healing so you can pursue haste, or possibly you aren't ready to give up spirit for haste.

    At all times, never sacrifice intellect for anything else. Int is king.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6
    Well the new dungeons with pugs i go oom as for raids and such i never go oom and if i do go oom in a raid where large heals are required i simply pop my spirit returning cds and im back at 70% ish.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Haste is the proverbial crack for holy pallies and shamans. This is because they don't have nearly as many instant casts as druids and priests. For holy pallies, Holy Shock and WoG just don't cut it.
    That's partially true. Paladins have crap for other secondary stats - Crit and Mastery are both very poor. Shamans have a wide array of useful secondary stats, especially now that their Mastery affects their HoT's. There's actually a pretty fierce debate among the RShaman community about what to stack. Haste is certainly a viable choice but not the only legitimate one.

    Agreed with the rest of your post.

    To the OP: You can always swap gear in and out depending on the fight. For the most part though, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a higher level pieces that has more mana even if you lose Haste. As you delve deeper into the raid content, your mana will be taxed harder and harder.

    And the HPal tier is crap unless you can get the 4-piece, and even that is debateable compared to the offset stuff.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6
    What cast time should i focus on o.o, i managed to get it to 2.0 without the haste holy pally buff.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by yflow View Post
    What cast time should i focus on o.o, i managed to get it to 2.0 without the haste holy pally buff.
    Doesn't really matter. The only haste plateaus that matter are for Holy Radiance ticks, and still those aren't a huge deal. I would aim for as much haste as possible (without giving up much in the way of mana stats).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5
    Once I started to actually get raiding gear, as opposed to heroic gear, I had to get used to less haste. It's crazy how much .1 or .2 seconds off a cast time can make it seem so much slower. However, your mechanics wont suffer and as long as you have a 2 sec cast time after all buffs then your going to be more than fine. Like Sebadoh said, really haste will only affect your holy radiance visibly. I know not many people like it, but I found crit to be a very worthwhile stat. Our ten man has a druid and holy priest along side me and often in times of raidwide damage, (such as cho'gall) when keeping people alive is most important, then crits on emergency spells like FoL can really pay off...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    618
    Except crit is random and can't be relied on in the same way that haste can. Haste is superior to crit because it's a guaranteed increase to your throughput, where crit isn't.

    I'm not entirely sure how you're ending up with less haste using raiding gear vs stuff from heroics either, when I went from heroics to raids my haste went up.

    Ka Pai, GMT+12 recruiting now!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5
    Well, I replaced a few pieces that had crit and haste on them with ones with spirit and and sometimes haste got discarded. I have to agree with ^ though, i did ALOT of reforging and with good gear am able to keep a crit of about 20 ish% and haste at about 18%.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Soan View Post
    Except crit is random and can't be relied on in the same way that haste can. Haste is superior to crit because it's a guaranteed increase to your throughput, where crit isn't.

    I'm not entirely sure how you're ending up with less haste using raiding gear vs stuff from heroics either, when I went from heroics to raids my haste went up.
    If you aquire T11... it's SH*T haste wise. I stay away from all those pieces for that reason alone. Non-set loot including 353 from troll hcs are better... Crit and mastery is all we get! And the set bonuses don't make up for it. So if the OP has T11 (he says he does) it's very possible and even likely he got less haste from it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Grindleguts View Post
    If you aquire T11... it's SH*T haste wise. I stay away from all those pieces for that reason alone. Non-set loot including 353 from troll hcs are better... Crit and mastery is all we get! And the set bonuses don't make up for it. So if the OP has T11 (he says he does) it's very possible and even likely he got less haste from it.
    I disagree with your assessment on which is "better". 4pc+offset chest is distinctly better than all offset, particularly with the Holy Shock change.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Don't forget that you can reforge your gear. If a piece has Crit instead of Haste, you should probably be reforging it to Haste (unless you need Spirit and don't have that, in which case you may consider Spirit).

    The basic point has been made, arguing about going for a stat just because it happens to be on your available gear is silly.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Spirit vs. Haste/Crit

    I've recently started healing on my Pally (was Prot before) and I have downloaded Rawr to try to optimise my set-up. It appears to be telling me to reforge a lot of my spirit into haste and crit. I'm not sure that I trust what it is telling me.

    Can anyone shed any light on this for me please? I have read somewhere that spirit becomes less useful at a certain level...

    Thanks

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    618
    I wouldn't really trust Rawr too much tbh.

    Ka Pai, GMT+12 recruiting now!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,029
    Personally, I don't reforge Spirit, in fact if I get a piece without Spirit I reforge the Crit to Spirit or I'll reforge Crit or Mastery to Haste. In the end Holy Pallys, IMHO, are about Intellect and Haste. Crit is okay, but you'll find as you gear up that your Holy Shocks will constantly proc Infusions of Light which gives you the ability to throw out a very fast Divine Light (DL for the size of the heal is actually very mana efficient) without adding extra Crit.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    383
    I definitely would not trust Rawr for healing gear. There are just too many variables for it to be effective.

    I wouldn't recommend reforging Spirit away if you just started healing, you should go Int > Spirit > Haste >>>>> Crit/Mastery/ArP/whatever. From what I hear, later on you can value Haste above Spirit, but I have no experience as a Pally in heroic modes so I can't really comment. In any situation, Crit and Mastery don't bring a lot to the table.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2
    the pally tier is shit stat wise your better of just getting all the plate healing gear from maloriak/magmaw/halfus/assendent council as the tier has very shit stats (no haste) the spirit form 4 set isnt that great and your better off just getting all the haste from the other items

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehdardi View Post
    the pally tier is shit stat wise your better of just getting all the plate healing gear from maloriak/magmaw/halfus/assendent council as the tier has very shit stats (no haste) the spirit form 4 set isnt that great and your better off just getting all the haste from the other items
    This is blatantly incorrect.

    After reforging, you lose under 100 haste rating--less than 1%, in fact--and gain int, over 150 crit rating, and a significant amount of spirit (which is proving to be more important than haste for hardmodes, and will be doubly so at the beginning of Firelands before we get gear to compensate for our mana cost nerfs.)
    Last edited by Papapaint; 06-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehdardi View Post
    the spirit form 4 set isnt that great
    540 spirit is a ton. I noticed a difference on my Disc Priest, and we a) get a ton of regen from non-Spirit sources, and b) our 4-piece doesn't have a 100% uptime unless you're using Penance literally on cooldown, which is rare outside of tank-healing. I can imagine the regen would have a much bigger impact on a Holy Paladin, considering how much you use Holy Shock.

    Honestly, I used to think that the HPally tier was crap (you can read that earlier in the thread) but now I'm slowly coming over to the other side, having experienced heroic modes on my Disc Priest and knowing how taxing they are on your mana pool.

  20. #20
    Spirit will be helpful is mana is an issue - I've not found this to be the case at 359 ilevel enough to warrant the inferior stats on the tier. So in that sense 4p is blantantly incorrect to aim for.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts