1. I wasn't around for the beginning of Wrath, so I would appreciate some insight into when they might bring in epic gems and designs?
2. Would it make sense to stock up on jewelcrafter's tokens for when the epic recipes do become available or is it likely that Blizzard will upgrade the jewelcrafter's tokens and not allow epic recipes to be bought with old tokens? What was it like in Wrath?
3. Stocking up on pyrite. Do you think pyrite mined now will be able to yield epic gems once they become available?
4. Chimera's Eye recipes. Will they upgrade these as we get further into the expansion? With new recipes or simply by upgrading the old gems/recipes?
Chimera's Eye will get their stats buffed when the Epic gems come out, judging by LK (and by their general professions philosophy). But I don't think you'll have 2 versions, the old ones will just update to the new version.
Pyrite will probably yield epics later, but I wouldn't bother stocking up unless it's cheap and you have no use of them now.
I wouldn't expect epic gems to come out for a tier or two in any case. They didn't come out until the Crusade patch (2 tiers later) in LK. So just do your thing with the rare gems for now.
And I would expect the current tokens to be good for the new recipes as well.
I don't think the Chimera's Eye will change; the old Dragon's eye never did as far as I recall. I hope they bring out some epic gems, but I have no insight on it. I vaguely recall that the epic gems were a by-product of some JC ability they added, maybe they came along when we could get Titanium Dust around the time Ulduar came out. I'm sure someone with better knowledge can correct me on this if my memory is faulty.
As for the recepies, I plan on buying the epic ring and neck recepies as soon as I can, even before I get more gem patterns; I found that the purple Neck and Rings that JC's could craft in WoLK were still very good pieces even durring ICC - I'm guessing the same will be true here.
If you are going to save your tokens for whenever they release Epic gems you are wasting them.
There is no need to go get every single recipe out there.
Get the ones that are of immediate use to you.
For myself it was Parry/Stam, Mastery/Stam, Tanking Meta, Stam, Str to name a few that I have gotten already. Pick a spec to gem for and gem for that then gem for you offspec/alts next. If in a guild with other JC, talk with them, this way you all aren't getting the same cuts.
1. Epic gems were released with 3.2 (the ToC patch). That was also when they made Titanium Ore prospectible, it had a chance of yielding epic gems and a very high chance to yield Titanium Powder, which could be traded in for a JC token. I presume they'll do something similar this time around, but it's all speculation this early on.
2. You could buy epic recipes with JC tokens you accumulated before the patch, but epic gems are a long way off. Don't bother, if you have all the recipes you need then just buy Chimera Eyes and sell them.
3. I wouldn't recommend it. That's a huge investment with a very delayed payoff, that's based off of pure speculation (who knows if they make Pyrite prospectable or if anything good would come from it). Wait until you hear more definite information.
4. I don't think they would screw JC's out of their profession bonus by making them re-buy the JC-only gems. They automatically upgraded in Wrath so I presume the same will happen if/when they release epic Cataclysm gems.