+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Upcoming HS + War Academy nerf = ouch for prot warriors?

I think before posting any more in here, people should read Koji's work:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ht=#post483944
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Sigh, I KNEW I was having too much fun playing my warrior this time around. How dare I.

From the latest build:
    Arms
    • Heroic Strike now scales from 93% of Attack Power, up from 75% of Attack Power.
    • Fury
    • Cleave now scales from 45% of Attack Power, down from 56.2% of Attack Power.
    Have faith boys, the nerf to aoe threat might not be as bad as we feared.

Upcoming HS + War Academy nerf = ouch for prot warriors?

I suspect that it's down from 93% to 75%, since that would be a 20% nerf, in line with the other changes, and what was already posted previously. Probably just an error writing.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

I thought HS is 75% of AP currently?
    Should be down to 60%.

Quite sure the mmo-champ db is wrong there.

Edit: which still gives HS the same AP scaling as SS, but without the base damage.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Nah, the MMO Champ says it's currently 75% and is going up to 93%, which would be a 20% buff. But the patch notes say there will be a 20% nerf, so that doesn't make any sense. I thought maybe it was 93% currently, because I don't know the number, and is dropping to 75%. Apparently not if it's currently 75%.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Ya, 75 -> 93 doesn't make any sense. That would give us back War Academy (and then some) without needing to spec into it (roughly speaking).

Since they want to make HS less appealing for all specs there's no reason for it to be getting any compensation at all.

Edit: To clarify I think the patch notes are wrong, not any posters here.

What would make sense, is if HS had its base damage nerfed by 20%, but the scaling increased to soften up the damage curve on it. But there are posts popping up stating that for the time being, Heroic Strike is still doing the same base damage resulting in a rather big buff to the skill.

It would make sense since the blue posts only mentioned arms/fury getting too much out of HS. Having a lower base dmg but stronger AP coefficient wouldn't hurt protection warriors.

HS only has base damage of 8. Any change to base damage is a drop in the ocean.
    More than likely just a typo on the prelim patch notes (which aren't expect until late tomorrow IIRC).

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all. Must be a typo. Combined with the Inner Rage changes, all we would do would be spam Heroic Strike non-stop. :P
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

It makes sense to me, they stated it's damage part was to high for dpsing warriors. So they just reduced damage part (Cleave damage has been reduced by 20%. Heroic Strike damage has been reduced by 20%.) while now increasing the attackpower factor so we'll end up still using it like before thanks to vengeance. Well at least that's what i hope.

But i can't see how the new inner rage fits in there. Popping Deadly Calm, using Inner Rage afterwards (same like it works for now) and just pump unhealable damage during a colossos smash seems easier than ever. If played correctly that's a ~12 seconds burst window and if you're lucky proccing Sudden Death...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andenthal View Post
    HS only has base damage of 8. Any change to base damage is a drop in the ocean.
    More than likely just a typo on the prelim patch notes (which aren't expect until late tomorrow IIRC).
    I've to admit that's a valid point, but where comes the 93% from? 20% reduction is 60%, 20% increase is 90%.
    Last edited by klausi; 01-12-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    I've to admit that's a valid point, but where comes the 93% from? 20% reduction is 60%, 20% increase is 90%.
    Probably from the same thing that made Mana Tide Totem go from 40y down to 23y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    My money's on a fat finger on the calculator.

75 * .8 = 60
    75 / .8 = 93.75

They're the same thing right?!
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Andenthal View Post
    My money's on a fat finger on the calculator.

75 * .8 = 60
    75 / .8 = 93.75
    Yup, the latest patch notes show HS scaling by 60% now.

+ Reply to Thread