Thread: BWD - Maloriak Question

BWD - Maloriak Question

Hey guys,

Just a little back ground to begin, my guild is not a hardcore guild nor do we intend to be, however we do take raiding seriously and we do progress fairly well. I would say we're about average in terms of progression and we raid 3-4 nights a week, 3 hours a night. We are strictly a 10 man guild and intend to complete this tier as a 10 man guild. So with that being said i had a few questions on the Maloriak encounter that i have yet to find the answers to on forums/videos.

We are currently 6/12, in terms of progression; downing Atramedes with ease last night for our 3rd boss of BWD... We attempted Maloriak previously but did not have the group on we wished to. I know the group composition is different for both of these fights, however i would like to hear what group comp. people used for the 10m Maloriak fight (not specific classes, just tanks/dps/heals). For Atramedes, we obviously used 1 tank, but we 3 healed it, with 6 dps; we downed him with ease in a couple of attempts last night with 4-5 gongs left in the end (killed on the 3rd ground phase). Our raid is in mostly 350+ ilvl gear. I was wondering for the maloriak fight if we should use 2 healers or 3 healers...

I also wanted to hear strats that worked well for you guys doing the 10m version of this... how many abberations did you guys let through each phase? Did you kite them, or just tank them? Did you kill the first set to come out, single target, and then the rest in the green phase?

On our attempt with Maloriak we had no problem tanking 12 adds the first time, AOE'ing them all in the green phase and then having 6 for the 2nd green phase. HOWEVER we hit the enrage timer with about 12% more to go. Granted we didnt have our ideal DPS on that night, but we did 3 heal it...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We just let 9 adds spawn before the green phase (2 green phase in the whole fight) and don't do any dps on them at all till green phase. Then just AOE them while having the interrupts on the boss covered. For our situation actually we had to stop dps on maloriak to avoid changing it to the burn phase before the second green phase.

We run with 2 tanks, 5 dps and 3 healers.
    Last edited by Zarkos; 01-07-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    "People who thinks they know everything are a great annoyance for us who do" - Isaac Asimov

3 casts get let through for two sets of nine adds, only dps them in green phase, spread out for frost, clump up for fire. damage stop is called at around 30% and we wait for the second green phase. I just tank the adds, however our mage puts down a ring of frost when there are nine of them to relieve the healers a bit (stuns all of them for 10 seconds).

We actually 2 heal it. First series we let through 12 adds and have the ranged kill them quickly, then get back to the boss, so the tank ends with 9 adds on first phase (ring of frosted until the green actually hits, then tank pops a CD) then 6 on second series. We have to stop DPS around 30% and wait for the green phase, then we Lust and finish off Maloriak. Make sure that when the last 2 guys that he summons when he hits final phase are just OT'd far away, and when they fixate on a player make sure they don't kite it near the boss or the boss will get the buff. You have 1 minute from when he hits 25% to kill him before he enrages. It was kinda tight on 10 man, beating it by 5 or 6 seconds the first couple times.

Let me preface this by saying in the three kills my guild group has done, I've been the add tank.

We've used 2 pally tanks, 3 heals (mix/mash) and 5 DPS. We consistently have to stop before the 2nd green phase on Maloriak and barely get him down before the enrage timer. The key I've tried to press into people (including the Maloriak tank) is to minimize movement. A lot of our highest dps have to catch Maloriak as the tank moves to avoid the flame.

Second, it's imparative that dps/heals avoid proximity agro on the big adds. Last night the dps camped under one of the spawn points and the add fixated on one healer, when they faded it went right to our highest burst dps, which basically wiped us since he couldn't do anything but kite the add.

I believe it can be 2 healed but it will put a lot of strain on the healers if one of them gets fixated on OR frost frozen/flamed. I think if you do go 2 heals you should burn the first set of adds, interupt the second add spawn, and then let the rest through. That should level out the dps and have managable numbers of adds for your tank to kite.

I do have a question about how groups are handling large adds and fixation. For people that fail to collapse and thus are in fixation range when the adds spawn, how to groups deal with that? Since taunt does not work, especially on 10m it seems like it's a RNG draw that I can get them out of the way before they fixate, which is a crappy mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Minibell View Post
    I do have a question about how groups are handling large adds and fixation. For people that fail to collapse and thus are in fixation range when the adds spawn, how to groups deal with that? Since taunt does not work, especially on 10m it seems like it's a RNG draw that I can get them out of the way before they fixate, which is a crappy mechanic.
    We let our holy pally tank one while the kite tank takes the other. A judgement/style is enough to clue them to their target thanks to fixate. Better fixated on a healer than on the dps, you don't want them anywhere near Maloriak and heals can be tossed out from far away.

Hi Warrick,

You can easily go with two healers instead of three to this fight. We've downed him 3 times and for the first kills we were trying to use 3 healers but then had some problems with our dps that had no epicx to kill him before the berserk. Make sure to get 9 adds for each green phase and have boss at around 30% when second green phase comes. Burn the adds, nuke the boss down to the second pahse, use bloodlust and have a kill. Those two mobs in the second phase doesnt really hurt anyone, make sure that your MT moves out of the way when Maloriak puts his hands in the air - that means in 2-3 seconds he will do that fire thing on the ground that launches MT into the air.

Last time we went with 6 dps and actually were struggling, the reason is that dps was too high and we were hitting second phase way before the second greeen phase. We just stopped dpsing at 30% and waited, then killed him after burning down any remaining adds. Otherwise you can burn 12 adds down on first green phase and just leave those 6 adds for the OT to tank them until the boss is down.

Hey all.

we have been struggling with phase 2 for quite a while now. we get to phase 2 with the offtank grabbing the 2 adds, and maybe 1-2 small adds still up, not alot of dmg, easely healed, but our MT on maloriak, keeps dying within a few seconds, and he states that he moves from the fire.

what i am asking is, is there any "easy" trick to avoid the tank not dieing in p2.

we have had 6% and 5% wipes before enrage hit us.

my groups setup is 2 tanks(Warrior,Druid),3 heals(Shammy,Druid,Pally) and 5 dps.I play the druid tank and I'm usually on the adds.The whole encounter is really about how well your raid can handle interupts and the adds.The way I deal with the adds is always let 9 come through to me use a cooldown first,then Id use natures grasp to root 3 in place so I'll only have 6 to deal with giving the healer on me(the paladin) a few seconds of less stress.when the roots are about to break I use charge/skull bash to my advantage to get away from the other six and charge one of the rootes ones that way ill only have 3 on me for a few seconds and kiting the other 6 till the green phase.Its a very easy fight when you get the hang of it

Quote Originally Posted by Jenzie View Post
    what i am asking is, is there any "easy" trick to avoid the tank not dieing in p2.
    Guess it's Magma Jet what kills your tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrick123 View Post
    We are currently 6/12, in terms of progression; downing Atramedes with ease last night for our 3rd boss of BWD... We attempted Maloriak previously but did not have the group on we wished to.
    A group that is capable of killing Atramedes will also likely be able to kill Maloriak. While boss fights do shift which classes they may favor from fight to fight, you should NEVER be required change your raid composition for normal modes. A fight is never tuned such that you need a particular class to tank, or a particular class to heal. These are normal modes.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    A fight is never tuned such that you need a particular class to tank, or a particular class to heal. These are normal modes.
    But you need certain classes to aoe. If you bring two melee, a shadowpriest, a demolock and a mm hunter you will have trouble bringing enough burst aoe to the table to beat certain encounter (Maloriak, Cho'Gall) without very good controls and knowledge about your classes.

Some classes may make encounters easier. That doesn't mean that others can not do the encounter.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.