+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightwell

Lightwell

I've been chaining heroics on my Holy Priest and, I know this will be really noobish, I decided to acutally try the Lightwell; I talented it since the point had to go somewhere to move me down the tree, and I actually like the Lightwell. 2k heals per .87 sec up to 11k is not too bad.

I tend to drop it where I can get at it and use it to put a HoT on myself and conserve some mana. If others in the group use it that's sauce for the goose.

Has anyone else been dropping these, and what do you think?

Good talent point for 5 man dungeon and solo content, but completely useless in raiding because it relies on others to click on it. They should just revamp lightwell into the toc dungeon version =)

It's the Best HPM Ratio a priest has, esp when glyphed. It blows every other heal out of the water.

I would argue that the problem is the player base, not the Lightwell itself. You can click it by mousing over it from 15~ yards away, and it doesn't change your target any longer. If survivability becomes more of an issue in Cata due to healer mana, guilds will have to adapt and start clicking it *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Fenier View Post
    I would argue that the problem is the player base, not the Lightwell itself. You can click it by mousing over it from 15~ yards away, and it doesn't change your target any longer. If survivability becomes more of an issue in Cata due to healer mana, guilds will have to adapt and start clicking it *shrug*
    Agreed. I use it fairly often (it sucks for mobile fights like H LK, but on others it can really shine) and it does quite a bit of healing if you remind people to use it. Thankfully one of the DK's loves them and even calls out on Mumble when we drop one.

Hopefully in the "triage" environment of Cataclysm, stuff like Lightwell, Healthstones, and defensive cooldowns like Icebound Fortitude are not neglected by the DPS to the extent that they are today.

^ This tends to be my feeling. I recall Ghostcrawler stating he wanted to make the Lightwell relevant. I recall a post from him saying that he and the development team felt the Lightwell was a great but under utilized/under powered resource and wanted it to become relevant. So it got a buff for Cata. Based on that I started dropping it and found that even if the dps or tank don't click it, I do and I save mana, get a fairly powerful HoT and don't waste a global cool down. From a selfish perspective, what's not to like.

I think everyone is banking on lightwell to be more useful during cata, im more optimistic that it will not in raiding content. I would definitely put the talent point lightwell while leveling and running 5 man dungeons in cata.

I think I am more worried about my healing spot in general for cata since there is a lot mana and output issues in beta testing. I have spent some of my time watching the beta raiding videos and some of the heroic dungeon content and I have yet to really notice a lightwell being put up except for one time. Another big problem with lightwell is that it is not very known by wow players. I was in a ICC25 heroic raiding guild during the 4.0.1 patch and literally out of the 25 raiders, 4 individuals did not even know what lightwell was.

Lightwell will have it's day. It's best use will be post-really-huge-boss-AoE. Since those types of things will be semi-rare come cataclysm you will simply train your raid as such: "After the boss does the huge fire thingy, everyone click the lightwell" ... simple as that. The HPM of that thing is insane.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Re: Lightwell

Lightwell is nice in a couple places (Herald Volaj - Drop one just before, and it remains available during Insanity), but generally speaking, the player base can't be bothered to use it. Not saying it's impossible, but I see a poor liklihood that many/most will learn.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I am specked for Lightwell as well and will throw it out there from time to time (VoA, 5mans, even ICC) . As mentioned above it is dependent on the player/s to use it but its there just in case they need it. Recently I used it in ICC and surprisingly a few used it. Hell, if it saves someones butt then great I did my job :-) We will see where it goes in Cataclysm.

I use lightwell, and I use a spell announcer mod (RSA) that announces it in /ra for me so people know it's there. I made sure to include in the announce that it's "new and improved" with a longer range and that it won't switch targets. Even if I'm the only one who clicks on it I think it's worth it - usually I can get tanks to reliably click on it as well.
    Vuhdo 101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBoImKCY1Fs Vuhdo 102: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbM0XG7XsU http://www.twitter.com/soragrey

I've been clicking on it, and I'm a changed (Disc) priest!!

Four out of five tanks prefer it, too renew!

Click on a lightwell, today...your Mom can't always be there to save you!

(really, though, it should come with a "Giant" blue arrow pointing over it, Hunter's mark-style!)
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

I've been healing Disc, but went Holy for H Blood Queen and threw out a Lightwell; I know I clicked it so I could get myself a mana free HoT and stay focused on the raid; don't know if others used it, but it really is much improved. Hopefully it catches on.

I toss it next to my tank or by the ice blocks on Sindy it's a BLEEEPin amazing tool, LR2CLICKIT >

I've been dropping Lightwell on every fight and it's been nice to have a raid leader/tank make sure everyone know it's down and tells them to click it It's really helpful on Sindy as Apocalypstix said and on Dreamwalker I glyph Lightwell for the extra charges and drop it to help the healer who stays out to raid heal
    Last edited by Icestorm; 11-24-2010 at 04:14 PM.

I love Lightwell. The problem is that the Tank is usually too busy to deal with it (justified) and the DPS are either too lazy or too focused on their DPS meters to bother with it. They don't want to think. They just want to max their attack and let someone else deal with keeping them alive.

I still lay it down at every boss (why not), but it's rarely used. In fact, it's used more when people are at full health, because they don't have a clue what it is. You could make the Lightwell grant damage immunity for 30 seconds and it would STILL be a challenge to get people to use it. I usually end up using it just for myself (which is useful).

I will say that I mainly do PUG's, which are harder to train. I'm sure a standard raid group could be trained in the proper usage of it. However, I suppose if it was actually used then they would nerf it. I think the developers count on it being rarely used and discount it from their balancing calculations.

-slowreflex

Lightwell can be life saver for.. casters.. for fights like Morrowing when Bladestorming (poping it at random location can realy save some1 ass), while P2 at Bloodqueen (for those who got low hp). As well for Dreamwalker - when jumping around for stacks u can leave LW down for ride. For OT on Rotface, who kite the adds and just pop heal once a while.

LW is REALY a nice skill to use. Same on dungs and raids. I used to put it while fighting 5man bosses who frozen/sleep tank or change targets. It just help when people hug to LW and use it just right after getting hitted by charger/random target.

Hella I can even see it on Council, near the OT.

And i agree with slowreflex - it's imba.

Has anyone glyphed for it? I have not, but just wondering.

I use it to many times to not to glyph it.

I wonder if Archangel stack with Chakra - i mean, cmon - 15% more heal from Arch is quite good.

because it if does, I would go for 18% Hit for Smite glyph as well :P

I think it will be great in Cata. The days of DPS having to actually use a bandage here and there are about to come back, so why not click the lightwell instead. I noticed the other day when loggin on, that the there is a a tip now that say "Click the Lightwell". Not sure if it has always been there, but it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Has anyone glyphed for it? I have not, but just wondering.
    The glyph adds 5 charges. If people used it properly then I can see that being good. However, I can't remember the last time that my Lightwell didn't last the entire duration...

+ Reply to Thread