+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Druid tanking for 81+

Druid tanking for 81+

Ok, I'm playing my first druid, and I love to tank. I've tanked as a warrior and DK, at lower lvls even a pally. While on a plate wearer it seems easier to identify tanking gear, cause it usually has tanking stats on it. However on leather gear I rarely see tanking stats? How do I know what gear is best for me? As far as rings or neck pieces with strength and dodge.. would I want that? Or agility and a diff stat? Also I just tanked Vortex penn, and had SO MUCH trouble just keeping threat, I marked skull x even a cc target, farie fire pull, thrash, swipe, even demo roar and maul because i'm glyphed for it, then notice a mob or 2 just ignore me and attack my dps.. I really like tanking on my druid, even with my terrible trouble of gaining threat. What did I do wrong? Is it something I can fix?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...d%c3%b6/simple here is my armory if it helps at all

i woudl suggest getting ur expertise up to cap, its possible that ur attacks are getting dodged, hit rating looks to be fine for now

other than that, were ppl actually hitting the correct targets? it doesnt make a difference if u mark the mobs but dps hits their own target anyway

also, with druid tanking, even with maul glyph, swipe and trash - ur going to need to do some tab targetting to apply lacerates and faerie fires

when u say faerie fire pull, are you applying it then charging in and then hitting swipe?
    i'm not sure how ur cc was working, but if u lag or are waiting to charge in, its possible that one or two mobs will be outside of swipe range which will make it a little more difficult to pick up

what u can try to do for cc that breaks on dmg - mark casters/ranged for ccs, then charge in, swipe and drag the melee out so that you can allow for space for mobs to be cced

ur losing threat can be caused by a lot of factors - since i wasn't on the run, i wouldnt be able to say exactly what the problem was but the above are some of the things that could have caused it

Quick and dirty answers: The stats you'll want to stack are Agility, Mastery, Crit, and Dodge. Hit and Expertise are nice threat stats but single target threat should be solid as is. Haste is the one stat you'll find on a lot of usable gear that's not useful for Feral tanks. Stamina and Armor trinkets are solid options to consider alongside the others. I found it helpful to hold onto Hit trinkets for occasions when I was the primary interrupter. You'll only want to use Strength items if they are well itemized and vastly superior to Agility alternatives, such as the rep reward ring you are wearing now.

You won't hold AOE threat off of dedicated DPS just using Swipe and Thrash. Make sure you mark a mob so all the DPS has something to start on while you generate threat on other mobs in the pull. Once you have a good threat lead on the marked mob mix in Mangles, Lacerates, and Mauls on the other mobs to keep their attention. If the DPS all start out attacking different targets regardless of what you marked, that's on them. I have my UI set up so I can see if DPS are attacking something they shouldn't so I can point it out for correction. Worse comes to worse, you can use something like Recount (hint: if a DPS has 0 damage done to the first kill target, he did wrong).

Bear tanks are perfectly capable of holding a large groups attention but we need a bit of time to spread our high threat single target abilities around to augment our weaker hitting AOE attacks.

ok, thank you all for the tips. Where could I look for stat caps like expertise cap? and I have no idea what to gem, so I just gem agility, is that ok? or wrong?

Druid tanking for 81+

Caps are the same for all classes. 8% hit and 26 expertise. As a tank, you don't need the cap unless threat (single target) is an issue. Agil, stam dodge, just get all you can. Agil is better than dodge.

For gems, I would still go hybrid. Agil+stam and mastery+ stam will be best. Solid stam are great too, especially if the socket is actually blue.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1126995943
    Reese's advice is all you need for bear tanking.
    Playing Horde on Cho'Gall: PvE sub Rogue, Prot Warrior
    Gave up hope on Alliance on Elune

+ Reply to Thread