+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior or DK comparison

Warrior or DK comparison

Alright so here is my dilemma, I like tanking. I have a paladin, a warrior, and a Death Knight all tanking specs. My problem is that my paladin and warrior are both 85 with similar gear but my warrior just seems so much more squishy, with less than amazing CDs. My Death Knight on the other hand is only 83 and from what I've seen so far on my 85s is that its all about reducing damage and I don't think I can do that very well without a shield. So I have 3 options here each with perks and dislikes...

Personally I have played a paladin for so long that its gotten too boring for me, but my warrior seems so much more squishy, and my dk isnt 85 to test out yet.

So my question is from a stat point of view, assuming equal skill and gear, who has a better time surviving any given situation in a Heroic or a raid, DK or Warrior?

All three are fine, play which class you find more enjoyable to play.

Well I know to play whats enjoyable. However I enjoy not dying, and being useful+good at what I do. Unfortunately my warrior just seems to be... bleh compared to my paladin and I can't comment on my DK yet as its not 85. Some insight on the DK from a lvl 85 would help a lot too.

If your warriors is worse than your pally you are skill capped. You just plain and simply arent good enough to play a warrior. Learn to time your Shield block better and go to town.
    My warrior is badly geared and easily tanks all heroics With no CC.

I play all 4 tanks and the biggest issue I have with DK is the overcomplicated resource system. It makes reacting to surprise changes very clunky, whereas on the warrior the response is very fluid - you have an answer to anything; you just need to be a good enough player to recognise the opportunity.

On the DK I find my challenge is the iterative visits to encounters, as I learn them better I can make them more predictable and plan out my resource usage in advance which leads to very powerful play.

If you're a min-maxer then DK is definitely the correct choice.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowa View Post
    If your warriors is worse than your pally you are skill capped. You just plain and simply arent good enough to play a warrior. Learn to time your Shield block better and go to town.
    My warrior is badly geared and easily tanks all heroics With no CC.
    Hold on, let me get my ACME 10000 Troll Detector.

Scanning.... scanning.... BEEP BEEP BOOP TROLL DETECTED

Aaaaanyways, to answer the OP's question a bit:

As a healer who runs with not just guildies but also the occasional pug, I haven't noticed any huge difference between the tank classes. Perhaps it's more apparent later in the raid content, but I have yet to encounter much of a gap.

You're correct that Warriors have more traditional mitigation, but don't discount the power of a Death Knight's self-healing. Death Strike and its associated Mastery is a beast nowadays, and other self-healing tools like Rune Tap and Bloodworms are not slouches either.

I've heard from various people on various forums that each of the four tank classes is OP and needs a nerf. Really it boils down to which style fits you better. Personally I enjoy the self-healing aspect of the DK class, which is why my other 85 is a DK tank.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that you're too manly for CC. Make sure that your healer craps his pants on every pull, that's what it's all about! (sarcasm directed at goldenshowa)

Each tank has it own strengths and weaknesses.
    I can't speak about Warrior and Druid tanks, but I have both a Pally and DK tank.
    Between the Pally and DK tank, the Paladin is much "easier" to use, especially for "yawn" content, but a large part of it is the fact that the Paladin's mitigation and avoidance are pretty much consistent the entire fight. While the DK can breeze through fights like nothing (or have to struggle) with them, due to the new rune system (which I hate).
    DKs mitigation is very dependent on Death Strike now, which means unlike Paladin Tanks (and from what I hear Warrior Tanks) they need to be hit and expertise capped so they can land those Death Strikes for a heal/bubble.

+ Reply to Thread