+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General Guild Advice and Help

General Guild Advice and Help

So I am currently running a 10 Man semi-hard core guild on the Alliance on US-Stormreaver. I could use some advice and help on kind of general topics. A little background: I was an officer of a guild in Vanilla where we raided MC, BWL, AQ40, pretty much the works. After TBC came out i inherited the GM title for my GM quit WoW right after TBC came out... i followed what he did in the Guild in Vanilla and did a good job taking the guild to see Parts of Sunwell... anyway i sold that account cause i was going to college and wanted to stop playing WoW... in due time I got a new account and rolled my druid on a new Server right after Ulduar. I tried running a ICC guild with similar tactics to my pre Wrath raiding experience and things just died... Said i would try running a guild in Cataclysm again and here I am:

We have 30 or so Members and I am having tough time recruiting more members. Every chance I spam Trade but man there are a ton of new guilds all over my server. Right now i am only looking for Raiders to fill the raiding rank i am looking for. I get maybe one whisper a day from either just 85s or 84s and below. I really am out of ideas on how to recruit better. I have a website, I bump my Recruitment on this site and I spam trade. This is one of my issues.

Another issue is that of the lack of active members I have. I felt that as soon as I chose the 7 or so members and officers to start raiding with me the activity has decrease significantly. there is no desire for people to do heroics anymore even though they are not in their BiS Pre Raiding gear. I really dont want to kick them from the guild or demote them because i really have no replacements ATM. Given 5 out of 10 of the raiders i know personally and are doing an okay job at being active (they also hold officer titles). But i still have no idea how to get others more active in the guild.

Finally my officers... I love them to death... i know 2 IRL (1 is my CO-GM) and the other 3 know the CO-GM IRL... i still feel that I am doing almost all the work. My CO-GM has stepped up recently but the others kinda really don't do anything... like if we had active members they MIGHT run heroics with them to help them get geared but deep down i DOUBT that... their either begging me to run a raid (I refuse to pug in all honesty) or they are leveling alts. I have been talking to my CO-GM and i might just make them raiders if they continue to do nothing.

We do have a scheduled Raid in BWD this Friday and Meeting right before that... hopefully it will show them how challenging Cata is and hopefully open their eyes. I am a nice GM outside of raids but i am really getting frustrated with people right now. I am thinking of bringing up how i feel at this meeting before the raid or after the raid however i am afraid i am going to Nerd Rage (which i do from time to time).

All of my members are deffinately capable of doing really well in this Expansion!(atleast myself my co-gm and my officers are all 11/12 HM 10 man ICC and I am 10/12 HM 25 man ICC).

In all honesty this is a lot better attempt at a guild then the Wrath guild attempt... at least people show up to meetings and preset dates from events such as BGs 5s and other stuff like that. But i still feel like we have a long way to go. I really could use peoples advice and anything you say could really help. if u have any advice whether it about recruiting, Activity or my officers please please please help me!

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my overly long post. Yes it does look like we are having some very similar problems.

We have 30 or so Members and I am having tough time recruiting more members. Every chance I spam Trade but man there are a ton of new guilds all over my server. Right now i am only looking for Raiders to fill the raiding rank i am looking for. I get maybe one whisper a day from either just 85s or 84s and below. I really am out of ideas on how to recruit better. I have a website, I bump my Recruitment on this site and I spam trade. This is one of my issues.
    First off, i would recommend not spamming trade. Everyone that i've spoken to about this topic agrees that it makes your guild look unprofessional and becomes really annoying.

If you think any of those undergeared 85s or 84s have any potential at all you could consider recruiting them into some sort of casual rank and then later using them as backup if they're willing to sit out during most progression raiding.

You're doing pretty much everything you can recruitment wise, i personally think some of it just depends on luck. Keep posting here, realm forums, recruitment forum, mmo-champ, elitist jerks, or any other site that gets a lot of views. Another great website that you probably know about but i'm going to mention is wowlemmings. You can search for specific classes and it will link you to every post from that class that is looking for a guild.

When responding to a post on the forums from someone who is looking for a guild, make sure you really read what they need. If they want to raid in the morning and you are a late night guild don't bother posting. I see so many people trying to convince someone to change their times, but for the most part people post their availability for a reason and are just going to ignore you anyway if you don't meet their times. Also, try personalizing your recruitment post instead of posting the same thing over and over on every single looking for guild topic you see.

Another way to get a major advantage on other guilds is to actually go to someone's realm and speak with them. It shows you're taking time and initiative and probably do the same in leading your guild.

Finally, use word of mouth. I'm sure with your experience in the game you've raided with many different people. Chances are some of them aren't happy in their current guilds and would be willing to switch. Let people know you have spots open ( don't be pushy about it though ) and have your officers do the same with the people that they know.

Another issue is that of the lack of active members I have. I felt that as soon as I chose the 7 or so members and officers to start raiding with me the activity has decrease significantly. there is no desire for people to do heroics anymore even though they are not in their BiS Pre Raiding gear. I really dont want to kick them from the guild or demote them because i really have no replacements ATM. Given 5 out of 10 of the raiders i know personally and are doing an okay job at being active (they also hold officer titles). But i still have no idea how to get others more active in the guild.
    The first thing you should do is try bringing this up to your members. Tell them that they need to be more active and you still want to run heroics as a guild. Also try planning guild events outside of just progression raids. Ask people to be online to work on certain guild achievements or old raiding achievements for mounts and such. You could also start rated bg or arena groups. If people have something to do instead of just sitting around they're more likely to come online. If you use some sort of loot council you could prioritize loot to who is the most active in the guild, however this becomes an issue when a few people are getting all of the gear and then a few are way behind. That's going to be especially hard in a ten man. Remind people that their spots are never guaranteed and you can replace them. If it does come down to that, don't feel bad. Spend some time searching through the forums and bring someone in who you feel will be more active and a better fit for the guild in general.

Finally my officers... I love them to death... i know 2 IRL (1 is my CO-GM) and the other 3 know the CO-GM IRL... i still feel that I am doing almost all the work. My CO-GM has stepped up recently but the others kinda really don't do anything... like if we had active members they MIGHT run heroics with them to help them get geared but deep down i DOUBT that... their either begging me to run a raid (I refuse to pug in all honesty) or they are leveling alts. I have been talking to my CO-GM and i might just make them raiders if they continue to do nothing.
    For a ten man guild, 5 officers is a lot. It might even be overkill. Make sure you picked them for the right reasons, not just because you know them in real life. In a ten man guild you really only need one or two officers.

If you do want to keep them all as officers you need to sit them down and explain to them what their title means. Assign specific tasks for them. Have one run the website, one help with recruitment, one keep the guild bank in order, ect. Tell them they all need to help a certain amount with the guild bank also. A few of them may decide they don't want the position and that it's too much work, but hopefully a few will also step up and do their job. If not, just demote them to raiders and keep your eye out for a raider who performed exceptionally well and is very active in the guild and ask them if they would be interested in the position.

As an after though i just want to add, you have exactly half of your raid ranked as officer (duh!). This alone could present problems for you. Make sure the officers don't get priority on loot just for being and officer and don't give them any special treatment. You don't want the five people who aren't officers to become jealous. This could potentially start a lot of drama in your guild which is the last thing you need right now.

We do have a scheduled Raid in BWD this Friday and Meeting right before that... hopefully it will show them how challenging Cata is and hopefully open their eyes. I am a nice GM outside of raids but i am really getting frustrated with people right now. I am thinking of bringing up how i feel at this meeting before the raid or after the raid however i am afraid i am going to Nerd Rage (which i do from time to time).
    My experience with guild meetings is that they tend to not work or be useless. People don't like to just sit around and discuss the guild. I've also had times where in a meeting two people will disagree over something and a fight will break out. I think if you want to do meetings it's best to only involve your officers. If you want to inform other guild members or something post news on your guild website and require everyone to read it and let you know if they have any comments.

Also, be careful not to let your members know you're worried about the guild not working. You should always stay composed in front of them, even if they are your friends. If they think you have any doubt in your mind the guild won't work then they're more than likely to start feeling the same way. Also, as just a member it shouldn't be their responsibility to worry about anything but being on time and prepared for the raids.

You should always be nice to your guild members, but make sure you're not being too nice. Let them know they can't get away with certain behaviors or making stupid mistakes. If they respect you as a leader and don't think of you as a push over (not saying they do) you'll get farther not only in raids but as a guild in general.

All of my members are definitely capable of doing really well in this Expansion!(at least myself my co-gm and my officers are all 11/12 HM 10 man ICC and I am 10/12 HM 25 man ICC).
    I'm having the same exact problem. It's hard to get people to join your guild because it's new and doesn't have any progression yet. Use your ICC experience to your advantage. Let people know that you and your officers have plenty of experience in the game and know what you're doing. People will feel safer about transferring to a new server and new guild if they feel like the other people in their guild have plenty of experience in the types of content the guild is going to focus on. Also, use the fact that you successfully ran a guild in previous expansions to your advantage. Show people that you know what you're doing and if given the right people you can take your guild all the way through the content.

Best of luck with your guild! I'm happy to give you any other advice that you need and i really hope at least some of the things i said help you out a bit.

I really appreciate you taking your time to respond to such lengths... I have read this post twice now (yes im bored at work) and i really have been taking things down... I have to say running a guild now is sooo much different then back in Vanilla... I am going to change around the posts i have on different site to target specific things you have noted (raid experience and ect)...

As an after though i just want to add, you have exactly half of your raid ranked as officer (duh!). This alone could present problems for you. Make sure the officers don't get priority on loot just for being and officer and don't give them any special treatment. You don't want the five people who aren't officers to become jealous. This could potentially start a lot of drama in your guild which is the last thing you need right now.
    yes i did realize this a while ago... and luckily i have spoken to my "officers" and they are willing to stick with the guild no matter what so i am hoping they understand where i am coming from when i explain to them what is going on. I also feel sometimes because they have the title of officer they feel like they are excepted from things and have a secure spot... so maybe demoting them would help.

Ask people to be online to work on certain guild achievements or old raiding achievements for mounts and such. You could also start rated bg or arena groups. If people have something to do instead of just sitting around they're more likely to come online. If you use some sort of loot council you could prioritize loot to who is the most active in the guild, however this becomes an issue when a few people are getting all of the gear and then a few are way behind.
    I looked into this type of system and i am leaning towards using it... so hearing this from you only reinforces my decisions... I could probably go on about things that i agree with you on here but i won't...

However i do have a question... and this is for anyone to answer and maybe even can help others... on sites right now my recruitment post is very... simple i guess... what things can you suggest me having on that post to make us look for desirable... (sadly we have not downed a single boss but all of our guild are heroic ICC experienced and some have been raiding since Vanilla)... should i add more then we are currently recruiting this and this is when we raid? thanks

You should definitely include how the majority of the guild has extensive experience in heroic ICC and that some of the members have been playing since Vanilla. This will give you an advantage over people who are trying to start guilds with little or no experience.

Try to seperate your guild from others in any way you can. If your guild is made up mostly from one age group let people know about that as it can be a big factor in chosing a guild. Talk about how you plan to do loot or if you have an unusual way of running your raids let people know.

Any kind of little detail that can set you apart from others can only help.

Regarding recruiting, I've written recent articles that you may find useful over at http://officerchat.org. They specifically answer your questions regarding recruiting posts and trade messages

Twix is right about the number officers. No point in so many officers unless they are actually doing something. Your "officers" sound more like dedicated members, something commonly labeled "Core Members". Perhaps sticking with just 1 or 2 officers and creating a guild rank of "Core" for the remaining ones would be more apt.
    officerchat.org - Guild leadership blog and community
    daytimeraiding.com - Definitive daytime raiding resource

+ Reply to Thread