+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shield enchant for tanking

Shield enchant for tanking

Sorry i didn't find anything in the forums, so i'm opening a new thread, sorry if you talked about it recently.

I want to ask what is the best shield enchant for a warrior tank, or what you use and why.

Due to huge amount of work i've played very little since Cata but now i'm starting hc dg. Checking on AH i've seen some new enchant or simply i never seen these in the past.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Shield enchant for tanking

Block is the way to go. Don't ask me for the name but if it gives 40 block value you hit home.

Cheers!
    Skaggi

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

40 block rating, it's called blocking i'm pretty sure =P

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Thanks guys!!!

since theres no blockrating on the gear, isnt the Pyrium Shield Spike enchant better now? the 40 blockrating are the only blockrating you will get. i know, the pike enchant dont give us a defstat, but isnt it good for aggro?

I still prefer Titanium Plating for the 24 parry rating and 50% less disarm. I have yet to find a mob that disarms, but if I do, 50% off is nice, plus I love to stack parry as much as I can. That 40 block rating was too small of an increase to block that I declined to use it. They're both about equal in my perspective.

26 Parry Rating = .15% Parry Chance
    40 Block Rating = .45% Block Chance

I personally believe blocking is better
    To all the Tanks that gem Stamina: "It's not the magic attack that kills you, it's the physical attack before and after."

Quote Originally Posted by edeesis View Post

At what percentage parry was this? I don't think block has DR, so this could make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by edeesis View Post

If you go with Titanium Plating(ignoring the additional disarm reduction bonus) you have 0.15% chance to reduce the damage of a swing by 100%.

If you choose Blocking you have a 0.45% chance to reduce the damage of a swing by 30%.

So Blocking gives you three times the probability to decrease damage by less than a third of what parry does.

Seems to me that it works out to be about the same amount of damage reduction before you count in the 50% disarm reduction bonus and the fact that you increase your Hold the Line uptime, albeit not by much. Critical Block comes into play here and I haven't run any math on it but I personally feel Titanium Plating comes out on top in terms of survivability and utility.

I'd definately go with Blocking simply because of DR on parry.

there are a few mobs that disarm like the trash pulls in bastion of twilight, but i use smite's cleaver with a weapon chain on it for some extra hit/expertise for trash and just use blocking on my shield. my parry is close to dr now so i chose blocking since block/mastery has no dr.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

When exactly does the parry DR kick in? There's obviously going to be a point where the blocking enchant takes over titanium plating but where is that point?

It's sad we even have to have this discussion. With the huge stat inflation this expansion I feel like Blizzard really dropped the ball on enchants.
    If looks could really kill my profession would be staring.

I doubt one can give an exact answer to that question. That's because the value of parry depends a little bit on your mastery and vise versa because of hold the line.

Another problem with your second question is: It depends on what you are doing with everything else. Maybe its better to take socket bonuses instead of the enchant? Do you want to skip them and take the other one? Could you reforge more to dodge with the parry enchant to get more avoidance with less DR?

However one answer may be: If you can use the parry enchant to reach the softcap, it's better. But I fear that's not enough for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Archerus View Post
    When exactly does the parry DR kick in? There's obviously going to be a point where the blocking enchant takes over titanium plating but where is that point?

It's sad we even have to have this discussion. With the huge stat inflation this expansion I feel like Blizzard really dropped the ball on enchants.
    I have been reforging and re-gemming like crazy the past couple days as I've upgraded a few key items. I'm now at 147,255 HP (should be 147,600 when I hit Therazane exalted today or tomorrow and I'm aiming about about 148k), 10.07% dodge, 14% parry, and 49.03% block. Hit is at 2.76% and expertise is at 11 (2.75%) but I am not really worrying about them anyway. Keeping in mind that this is all pre-raid gear I think this is pretty good. When comparing this to an ilevel 357 warrior on my server who is at 153,415 HP, 10.91% dodge, 12.92% parry, 54.03% block with 1.06% hit and 16 expertise (4.0%), I think it's even better. Also consider that with my character being a NE I'm getting another 2% avoidance (and the comparison warrior is a human).

Through reforging a few times back and forth though I was noticing a slight increase in DR as I edged closer to that 14% mark. From 13.5% to 14% though I think I only lost a somewhere between like .05% and .1% overall avoidance. So as I was noticing that I decided to just keep dodge at an even 10% (just because) and go for the 14% parry. If I had better lock getting the stamina trinket to drop from stonecore my stats might look pretty different right now but I think they might be better for it tbh. But I have no problem reforging literally every single equipped item and moving gems around just to fit one upgrade into my set that won't fit otherwise.
    Last edited by Aveanna; 01-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.

The new block enchant is better than plating and stam.

Parry DR doesn't just 'kick in' it just gets to a point that is more noticeable which seems to be around 14% parry, DR's are constant.

I don't believe that stacking parry and mastery is as efficient as stacking just mastery and keeping the other stats somewhat equal based on what you have. Most tank plate has a bunch of parry on it anyways, why reforge even more?
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Obviously it doesn't just kick in, but there is a point early in the curve where the dr is irrelevant. That's what I was trying to ascertain. Were is the point where it's no longer an insignificant loss? It seems everyone is agreeing on 14-15%

And I believe hold the line is as great as everyone thinks it is. 10% crit and crit block makes parry a big deal. A critical block reduces 60% of the hit, if you can keep parries relatively consistent as you stack mastery, eventually you can have a mini shield wall up pretty frequently. Not to mention the threat boost from the 10% crit.
    If looks could really kill my profession would be staring.

As I have stated in other threads: If you have the choice between 2% dodge and .5% parry, take the dodge.

Stating "Hold the line make parry better" is misleading, because it is still a random chance that an even will occur, and only procs hold the line which is another random chance that an event will occur. You can say a critical block reduces 60% of the hit, but I can say a dodge reduces 100%. Which one is better? Until it is a guaranteed critical block, it isn't going to be that much better.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Archerus View Post
    If you go with Titanium Plating(ignoring the additional disarm reduction bonus) you have 0.15% chance to reduce the damage of a swing by 100%.

If you choose Blocking you have a 0.45% chance to reduce the damage of a swing by 30%.

So Blocking gives you three times the probability to decrease damage by less than a third of what parry does.

Seems to me that it works out to be about the same amount of damage reduction before you count in the 50% disarm reduction bonus and the fact that you increase your Hold the Line uptime, albeit not by much. Critical Block comes into play here and I haven't run any math on it but I personally feel Titanium Plating comes out on top in terms of survivability and utility.
    you can't just dismiss critical block, it certainly tips the scales in favor of block for overall damage reduction.

+ Reply to Thread