+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hitcapping for Nefarian

Hitcapping for Nefarian

We're sitting on this boss for quite some time and i feel uncomfortable with losing roughly
    3% avoidance/block, 600 stamina and a decent trinket procc to achieve the required 961 hit rating.

90 hit rating can be provided via buff food but it's easier for me to farm 90 mastery food so i'm looking for other options on the long run. I'm blacksmith/miner and exalted with all relevant factions, allowing me to buy multiple versions of reputation gear if necessary.

hitcapped setup
    regular tanking gear

Your advise is appreciated.
    Last edited by klausi; 01-04-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo

We have the 2 tanks on the same platform and they both interrupt so having 0% chance to miss is not required. I still eat the Hit food and have reforged slightly to add more Hit, but I don't think you need to worry about it that much. The other platforms should have melee DPS interrupters with much higher Hit.
    Grymauch, Dwarf Warrior, From Chaos: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rymauch/simple

I don't know why your group have to rely on the tank to do the interrupts, but if you really "have to" then reforging and enchanting is the less harming way to go. Using hit and expertise trinkets is way easier to reach the cap but usually the use or proc is almost a total waste for tanking purposes.

Btw about Grymauch said, we also have the 2 tanks together in the same platform so the chance both of us missing the interrupt is really small (it could still happen though).
    "People who thinks they know everything are a great annoyance for us who do" - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkos View Post
    I don't know why your group have to rely on the tank to do the interrupts
    We have two tanks and a melee dps with a reliable interrupt on a short cooldown, all of us have to handle one add on one plateau at a time. And there's no room to bring another melee due to the need of 5 undead-cc-able classes (you really don't want to have your healer doing all this on their own while keeping camp and tanks alife during taillashs, electroexecutes and shadowflames). We have no extraordinary or class stacked setup just ends up with no dps shaman what leads to our misery there.

Regular lineup (interrupt, undead cc):
    2 TanksBlood-Dk, Protwarr, (Protpala)
    1 Melee Rogue, Fury
    4 Ranged Warlock, Mage, Mage, Shadow, Owl, Hunter
    3 Healer Restoshaman, Holypala, Restodruid, (Holypriest)

Quote Originally Posted by Grymauch View Post
    We have the 2 tanks on the same platform and they both interrupt so having 0% chance to miss is not required.
    I just ran my daily heroic - Halls of Orginitation - and barley manged to down the first boss due to me being the only interupt-able class and missing shield bash twice in a row..

Quote Originally Posted by Zarkos View Post
    but if you really "have to" then reforging and enchanting is the less harming way to go.
    That's why i started this thread, looking for options to increase my survivability.

I'd change your weapon for something with hit on (cookie's tenderizer perhaps) and stick a pyrium weapon chain on it.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi
    4 Ranged Warlock, Mage, Mage,
    Mage, mage, they can interrupt too. Have them /focus their add, then make a macro like so:
    /target focus
    /cast Counterspell
    /targetlasttarget

Double check my macro skills there, but I don't see why you should give up survivability stats when there's no real good reason for the mages not to be interrupting...

Quote Originally Posted by Papapaint View Post
    Mage, mage, they can interrupt too. Have them /focus their add, then make a macro like so:
    /target focus
    /cast Counterspell
    /targetlasttarget

Double check my macro skills there, but I don't see why you should give up survivability stats when there's no real good reason for the mages not to be interrupting...
    Hunter with appropriate Pet/marksmanship spec can interrupt too. So can Warlock. So can any Blood Elves that might be in melee range... so can the resto shaman. Your people just need to put on their 'good raider' hats and watch those cast bars for the event that you don't succeed. It's not a huge amount to ask.

And that macro would be better off as follows:

Code:
    /cast [@focus] Counterspell
    No changing targets involved.

Alliance, so no belf racials.

kick cds:
    owl 60s
    mage 24s
    warlock's felhunter 24s
    prot warr 12s
    blood dk 10s
    (prot pala 15s)
    (hunter 20s, gorialla 30s)

You need to interrupt for roughly 3 minutes resulting in up to ~ 15 interrupts. Having a proper kick rotation of several people involved over such a long time is pretty challenging and more likely error-prone.

We could go with a combination of mage and warlock + healer on one platform, melee on another leaving us with both tanks, a healer and another dps (possible interrupt?) on the third plateau. Something to consider, i'll mention it the next time we're going to engage him. There's a good reason only one BM-hunter is logged and no MM-hunter for nefarian at all.

@swelt
    That's an excellent idea, thanks for your input.

Adds on nefarian are only level 85. 5% will do.

Melee interrupts can't miss in Cataclysm. They can only be dodged or parried. I tanked with zero hit on my guild's first Nef kill and I never missed an interrupt the entire night.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpster View Post
    Melee interrupts can't miss in Cataclysm. They can only be dodged or parried. I tanked with zero hit on my guild's first Nef kill and I never missed an interrupt the entire night.
    This is wrong, I've had a lot of misses on Nefarian adds and Arcanotron.

definitely wrong information, melee interrupts miss all the time.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Engineers can also make a toy that stays in your bags just put the tooltip on your action bar and as along as you have a small stock of obsidium bolts it causes 8.5k dam and interrupts spell cast. I assume it dosent miss either. It all helps.

Vong.
    So long and thanks for all this fish

Quote Originally Posted by Booi View Post
    Adds on nefarian are only level 85. 5% will do.
    Awesome point, haven't thought about that until now. This way i can run with my regular trinket, thanks a lot.

Actually it is the other way around, interrupts cannot be dodged or parried.

I was asked to reforge into hitcap for 10man Nef.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxlarocks View Post
    Actually it is the other way around, interrupts cannot be dodged or parried.

I was asked to reforge into hitcap for 10man Nef.
    That sir, is a mistake aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Vong View Post
    Engineers can also make a toy that stays in your bags just put the tooltip on your action bar and as along as you have a small stock of obsidium bolts it causes 8.5k dam and interrupts spell cast. I assume it dosent miss either. It all helps.

Vong.
    If I'm not mistaken that also has a cast time, which makes it kinda sad panda for reliable interrupts.

Melee interrupts can def. miss. Happened to me heaps of times on Cho'gal and Nefarian adds. I even think I've seem them be dodged but that should be a double interrupt happening (i.e. my shield bash is dodged after the actual cast).

Note that the adds on Nefarian are only lvl 85 mobs so I think you only need 5% hit which is much easier to get than the required 8% for skull-marked / level 88 mobs (Cho'gal's adds for example).

A prot-warrior is a very solid interrupter for one platt form given you have the required hit. A few suggested items would be:

- BoE Epic Sword from TBoT
    - BoE Epic Chest (world drop, get lucky on AH)
    - Craft-able Epic Shield (blacksmith)
    - Ranged weapon with hit (BoE epic from TBoT or "Slashing Thorns" for example)
    - Ironstar Amulet from Atramedes
    - Tier 11 shoulders (at least warrior-version have hit on them)
    - Not sure about epic rings with hit, "Umbris Band" is a ilvl 346 that I've been using with hit and mastery.

I've just avoided to reforge +hit on my gear to anything else and landed at I think 6.4% with the above. Hit-food helps a bit as well. For this particular fight you can also swap weapons for phase 2 (i.e. take a weapon with hit and weapon chain on it). Also note that swapping to battle stance gives you a 10s CD on Pummel instead of 12s CD on Shield Bash and avoids you having aggro on the add while interrupting it (it faces away from you / doesn't target you and you gain more rage).

This is an aspect where 10 man raiding can get a little tricky but by no means impossible to sort out.

Another decent boost to hit rating is Alpha Bracers from Anraphet in Halls of Origination. Stick a +50 Hit rating enchant and gem and you'll get a decent hit boost. You will lose avoidance and some stam and armour, but it's a possible choice if you are looking for hit gear.

+ Reply to Thread