+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hit and Expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangotree View Post
    But that's the job of melees who do have hit cap, isn't it? Interrupting as a tank is a very good support but is it really necessary?
    That's pretty much the accepted line of thinking. As long as you have maybe...two melee DPSers in your raid, you shouldn't need to worry about interupting, as in most scenarios at least one will be able to stay on the target that needs the interupts. The only time the tank should worry about it is if the raid composition, or the encounter doesn't accommodate that.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

How do expertise caps play in with interrupts? They're off the table because the boss mob is channeling a spell, right?

I have just seen people like Xav and Kungen reforging their defensive stats to expertise and hit, anyone has idea what's the purpose of it ?
    Does any HM encounter require you to be expertise capped, or is it just to max personal dps to improve raid dps a bit ?

Kungen is back to pure mastery for today, looks like he either already has a threatgear for eg heroics or there is some extraordinary hardmode.. but unless you don't conquer the same don't bother with it.

Xav is sitting at 42 expertise and is hitcapped, can't actually imagine an encounter where i'd need that extra +threat right now at his progression stage (Al'Akir, Nef and Elementium Monstrosity+ still up to be killed by them). At least not by trading like 5% avoidance+ 5% block for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulvak View Post
    How do expertise caps play in with interrupts? They're off the table because the boss mob is channeling a spell, right?
    Yes. If you ever see a dodge or parry on say Shield Bash it's because someone sniped the interrupt and the mob wasn't casting when your interrupt registered on the server.

So from what I gathered from this thread, hit and expertise can be mostly ignored?

After dpsing for a while, I'm just gearing up my warrior for tanking (only for heroics, I don't raid), should I be reforging out of hit for more avoidance/mitigation? Or is hit more like one of those "If it comes with it, great. If not, oh well" type of things? My stats as of right now are:

10.41% Dodge
    11.68% Parry
    44.05% Block
    15.74 Mastery

and 4.80% hit

I've tried to gear according to the sticky on the official forums, and of course I'm still trying to get gear, as well as get my stuff enchanted.

I have been reforging out of hit and expertise on my main set of gear, but i've also got a couple of pieces of gear in my inventory for when i feel that I'm having problems with initial threat and already outgear the instances. You can almost get away with the "If it comes with it, great. If not, oh well" as long as you don't have a full set of pieces that are +hit +mastery (which is about the only place that you'll be getting free hit from).

Ask your DPS to count to five below they start unloading their DPS all over the bad guys. If they can't count to five then there are probably more issues there than can be dealt with in a forum thread.
    Vengeance really has made threat far less of an issue. The only threat problems I've had have been with DPS classes AoEing before I've even had a chance to hit anything. If they can wait 5 seconds I'm ok.

I've run with a few dpsers who make it their job to do whatever they can to pull the mobs off me. It's making me a damn good tank, but sometimes I get tired of it and let them die. After a few deaths they learn to back off a little and start managing their own threat. It's a 2-way street, they should be just as capable of controlling their own threat as we are at holding our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoneyes82 View Post
    I've run with a few dpsers who make it their job to do whatever they can to pull the mobs off me. It's making me a damn good tank, but sometimes I get tired of it and let them die. After a few deaths they learn to back off a little and start managing their own threat. It's a 2-way street, they should be just as capable of controlling their own threat as we are at holding our own.
    Frost DKs that are are spamming Howling Blast will learn to not do that quickly if they are smart, though it should be a moot point with the upcoming patch.

yeah other than at the start of the pull, threat isn't much of an issue for me. interrupts might be an issue but you shouldn't rely on the tank for interrupts anyways.

+ Reply to Thread