+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hit and Expertise.

Hit and Expertise.

Finally in about full 346 gear with a few epics, but I've been getting rather frustrated with capping out Hit and Expertise.

I'm not sure if I should be gemming Stam/Mastery or using those slots for Hit and Expertise. I've even been enchanting for expertise. It's been the way I've done things since TBC to make sure I dont miss my target.

Reforging just doesn't seem ideal to me either, I reforged a bit of mastery off (before I knew mastery was actually really good) and the idea of reforging off Dodge or Parry just doesn't seem ideal.

Heads spinning...

Warrior or Paladin i guess? Gemming for mastery & stamina and just forget about hit/expertise. Vengeance is more than enough threat to never lose aggro.

Yeah as above poster said dw at all about your hit and expertise ... just gem mastery stam if your a warrior. I have almost no hit and expertise and no one gets even remotely close to my threat in a fight once decent vengeance kicks in.

For the most part the only tank that really needs to worry about Hit/Expertise are DK tanks, and maybe druids. But Paladins and Warriors can pretty much ignore it for the time being.

i play a paladin tank i got some realy good items now and im thinking of reforging and soceting are you sure about igonring hit and expert
    some times they may cost a lot of treat especialy if you miss the first 1 or 2 spells

Yea I took this advice and my initial threat took a landslide....my buddy is always complaining now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    Yea I took this advice and my initial threat took a landslide....my buddy is always complaining now.
    at the start of pulls you have 0 vengeance and a good chance of your first 2-3 attacks missing. just tell them to wait a couple of seconds before they start popping cooldowns and smashing buttons unless you can get a tricks/misdirect. once vengeance kicks in you will have 0 issues.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

As to the loss of threat at the start of a fight it entirely depends on the DPS class.
    I am hit/expertise capped on a DK tank, and Frost DKs and Elemental Shammies if they get the right procs at the start of a pull can pull completely off of me, even with me saving my taunt for after pulling with D&D.

Hit and Expertise are secondary stats, they are nice and worth trying to cap if you are never in any chance of dying. Other wise you should be gemming/enchanting/reforging stam/mastery/parry or dodge

Between our Dk tank and myself we have both tanked at various points with under 2% hit and under 15 expertise and have not had any problems.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

This is the way gear progression has always worked, every expansion. It seems everyone forgets that hit/expertise don't matter until you get into higher tiers of gear where they start appearing naturally on your gear and you can start gemming for them w/o losing your defensive stats. Expertise used to be the borderline stat because of parry hasting but since that's gone, it doesn't matter. I've got a couple pieces of gear with hit/expertise (And i've reforged both into mastery) which gives me maybe 2% hit and 10ish expertise. I don't have threat problems unless a dpser bursts early on in the fight. Don't worry about these stats, you'll get them eventually as gear progresses!

Agreed I think im rolling with 3 expertise atm and like 2% hit. The start of a fight can be a little shaky but if you gets tricks/mds threat will not be an issue, vengeance will kick in and your threat will sky rocket. Some tanks seem to think threat is our primary goal, but remember if your dead you can't do anything to hold threat. A tank is a damage sponge, your goal should be to take as little damage as possible and be as hard to kill as possible. As long as you still create enough threat to hold aggro and not hamper dps it will not matter. How does it really help my guild if i produce slightly more threat if I am not going to lose threat either way?

Xav from premonition is rolling with 180 hit and 12 expertise atm, that expertise is because he is in hard mode gear. If you wont believe me, believe him...
    He who is afraid to lose will never win.
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    ...my buddy is always complaining now.
    Not exactly a tanking specific issue.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

I agree with not worrying much about hit/expertise atm. If you start to move into t11 gear and go back to do heroics you may end up with some issues starting out on trash pulls if you get some bad misses, but I say just eat a +90 hit/+90 stam food and maybe swap in a hit trinket. This is a simple and effective on-demand fix and it doesn't change anything permanently.

The only time I've had any regrets about losing some hit is when I'm trying to disarm something and it fails. It kinda sucks on Throngus and some mobs in DM and such when that happens.

The most common problem people are having is they don't want to wait the 5s or so to start dpsing. They are so use to the old burst aggro that we had at the start of the fight. I ran with like 3 exp and not hit cap I was having issues at the start but after a while threat was a non issue. So the only thing is people learning to control themselves on there own agro.

However I have went back to having the exp dodge cap and ~5% hit now and that works for gain sufficient initial aggro from these dpser's that don't want to wait or even pre-poting for extra dps. The only thing I dislike is now I have so much of a lead down the road that there is no one at 1/3 of my threat the majority of the time. I guess the day when they decide to make threat decay is the day avoiding threat stats is over until then hit only matters for interrupts.

Quote Originally Posted by ironsides View Post
    Xav from premonition is rolling with 180 hit and 12 expertise atm, that expertise is because he is in hard mode gear. If you wont believe me, believe him...
    How much hit + exp you advice for nhc raids? I have 1.13% (136) hit and 9 (287) exp, 11.27% dodge, 13.18% parry, 46.12% block and 165k life unbuffed at the moment. Having no aggro probs, you think i can reduce hit+exp a bit and push mastery/parry? By the way, i'm a warrior. Greetings
    Last edited by Mangotree; 01-12-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Just reforged back to all Mastery > Parry > Dodge and currently have 1.29% hit and 2 expertise and really havent noticed much threat drop, however I have noticed quite a bit survivability.

Dodge is now 11.16
    Parry is now 13.01
    Block is 46.30
    Mastery is 17.23

and im so far liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangotree View Post
    How much hit + exp you advice for nhc raids? I have 1.13% (136) hit and 9 (287) exp, 11.27% dodge, 13.18% parry, 46.12% block and 165k life unbuffed at the moment. Having no aggro probs, you think i can reduce hit+exp a bit and push mastery/parry? By the way, i'm a warrior. Greetings
    It seems you have answered your own question.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Andenthal View Post
    It seems you have answered your own question.
    is there a "limit" for reducing hit+exp? i mean a minimum value of hit and exp every tank should have?

nope, not unless you're required to interrupt something on a raid boss that NEEDS to be interrupted, you don't need any caps.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I had problems to interrupt the Shadownova of Halfus with 1.10% hit (10-man raid buffed), while Acanotron's Arcane Annihilator was no challenge. But that's the job of melees who do have hit cap, isn't it? Interrupting as a tank is a very good support but is it really necessary?

+ Reply to Thread